PDA

View Full Version : Aerosol cans.

tyne
16th Jan 2005, 07:00
Probably a really daft question. I am a fairly regular flyer, and years ago I was told not to put aerosol cans in baggage that goes in the hold. Not by an airline but by a frequent flyer girlfriend.

So, for years, I've carried the Lynx, Gilette etc etc in the hand baggage. I even opt for non-aerosol products just to make my life easier.

But can I actually chuck the cans in the cargo bags? I'm about to go off on a long trip and would appreciate the chance to free up a bit of space in the old hand baggage.

Tyne.

effortless
16th Jan 2005, 11:57
Airline rules notwithstanding: I was interested enough, a while back, to put a few aerosols in a vacuum chamber to see the results. It took a lot of vacuum to make them fail and non of them were catasrophic since they leaked at the valves. Heating them up had a different effect in a couple of cases namely celulose paint as the plastic valves melted and I got a fountain of burning paint. So I reckon that if the aerosols are in your case and thay aren't inflamable you are unlikely to have a problem. If you leave the cap off you will have some very messy cases.

surely not
16th Jan 2005, 13:23
The advice used to be that part used cans were not a problem, it was new unused cans that were the supposed danger.

Good advice re shaving oil instead of shaving foam. It does the job really well.

tyne
16th Jan 2005, 15:19
Thanks guys. I'll take your advice.

Cheers,

Tyne.