PDA

View Full Version : Question for BA pilots

DDDOF
15th Jan 2005, 21:27
Hi there just a quick question.
I'm travelling from the Middle East to North America, with my dog.
I think my first leg is on a 777 and the second leg is on a 747.
Which cargo hold are live animals put in.
Are their crates put in loose or are they put in containers as most of the rest of the bags are I believe.
Are the cargo doors on the left or right side of the aircraft, so I can try to get a seat to see her go onboard.
If when on board I ask the flight attendant will they be able to tell me if my dog has been loaded, as I'm travelling a long distance and really want to make sure she makes the connection.
If they won't be able to tell me who would be the best person to ask, before we push back?
Also what temperature is the hold usually kept at?
Thanks for the help!!

Hand Solo
15th Jan 2005, 21:56
Errr, well I'll try to help. I don't know which hold animals go in or how they are loaded but the cargo doors are all on the right hand side of the aircraft. That said it's quite possible Rover has been loaded before you board or could be loaded in the hold at the other end of the aircraft so I wouldn't count on seeing your pet through the window. The flight attendants will have no idea whether your dog has been loaded. The people who'll know are the loading team (you won't be able to speak to them) and the Dispatcher. You can spot the Dispatcher because he/she will be wearing a red hat and a bright yellow jacket with 'Dispatcher' written on it. They are normally extremely busy pre-departure, so if you are very concerned I'd suggest having a polite word with the gate staff prior to boarding and asking them to ask the Dispatcher on your behalf. The flight crew will know if a dog has been loaded and which hold it's in, but they won't know who's dog it is and there may be many dogs on board. I don't know what temperatures the holds are but we carry plenty of cats and dogs with no ill effects so it must be something acceptable to them!

Notso Fantastic
15th Jan 2005, 22:02
I am a BA 747 pilot, and a dog lover too! I would happily send my own dog by air, and we are very conscious of the well being of livestock we occasionally carry. Dogs are a common cargo. On the 747, they travel in the heated rear hold, the rearmost on the right. You are unlikely to be able to see the crate being loaded as you may well not be on board when it goes on. The cargo loaders are usually dog lovers too and take great care! When the cargo hold heating system failed on one of our planes carrying a small dog, it actually diverted so the creature would be OK.
The crates are secured and not in containers. The people to see about whether all is OK with the dog is the person in the Departure Lounge supervising the departure- he is called the Dispatcher and usually wears a red hat in BA. Ask one of the staff there if you can speak to him when he can spare a moment. The Cabin Crew can also phone the Captain to see if he has signed the paperwork for carrying livestock.
Don't worry- we like dogs too! I can remember once when the rear hold was opened, there was a very proud St. Bernard lying on top of the bags panting gently having totally demolished his crate. And the crew bags travel in that hold- they are kept at about 12-18 deg C (55 deg F+)

I see I've been pipped at the post, but the information is the same!

apaddyinuk
21st Jan 2005, 21:35
Dont worry...Your dog will be fine....Iv only seen a frozen stiff dog come out of the hold once!!!! ONLY JOKING.....DIDNT HAPPEN ON A BA FLIGHT!!!!

But seriously...rumour has it the BA CEO has just sent his dog home to Oz so if he trusts it then you should be relaxed! I recently had two passengers on a flight to the States come to the galley saying they were concerned because they were unsure if their dog made the tight connection!!! As I was about to call the flight deck I could actually hear barking from under the galley area so I knew there was at least one dog onboard....so for a good bet if your flight is a BA 777....Try getting a window seat (k seat) near the back on the right side of the aircraft! YOu may not see your dog being loaded but you may hear her!!!!