PDA

View Full Version : CX or life?

Piloterror
21st Sep 2000, 16:55
I let my gilrfriend go as she doesn't like Hong Kong and this was where I thought I wanted to be. I can't seem to find much enjoyment in my job anymore. I miss her and now the old "freedom" feeling when really flying smaller aircraft (even for less money). Thinking of quitting getting them both back...Anyone ever been/done through this before?
Does it get better at CX?

jtr
21st Sep 2000, 18:11
Sorry to sound -ive, but after a relatively short 4 years, it still seems to be pointing south. Would leave if there was another option, but there ain`t.

Gotta look on the bright side though......

Advice: Run if you can, before the seniority concept starts to be relavent. And don`t be fooled into `Command in X years` Cathay has, in recent history, been conservative with expansion. This will most likely continue. Have a look at A)your seniority no. now, and B) no. of the newest Capt. (A-B)/no.of commands b/t now and then = probably a lot longer than you are going to feel warm and fuzzy about HKG

Sorry if I sound tooooo -ive

[This message has been edited by jtr (edited 21 September 2000).]

Delboy
21st Sep 2000, 18:45
If she doesn't want you in HK, what makes you think she would want you anywhere else. My guess is that HK is just an excuse. If you can find a better job, then go-ahead, find one. But don't take a job on a Beaver in the hope of winning her back. It won't happen. (Things must be quiet around here if we have time to turn this page into a women's magazine)

AtRisk
21st Sep 2000, 19:35
Delboy just because the women that have been involved with you were ready to run at every opportunity with no intention of ever returning doesn't mean this is true for Piloterror and his girlfriend.
Piloterror if you are already unhappy and have longings to leave HK because of all things considered you will not be happy in another 6 months or 6 years. You will be resolved to accepting the same garbage as those you can read about here on this bb. They are bitter, disgruntled, self centred, and their most blatant inability to take charge of their lives and know what they really need and want, and their inability to do just that. If your needs have you being somewhere else, go do what you need to do. Don't get stuck in this stinking rut with the rest of the whinning saps.
Cathay was once a great company to work for with traditions of honour and loyalty, but that was then and you are here now and it isn't the same. So if there is any sense of loyalty within yourself let it be to yourself not an establishment of discontent. Another thing, HK isn't going to change for the better to expats.
Whether you reunite with your girlfriend or not has nothing to do with the rest of your statement about how much better it was flying the smaller crafts for less money and enjoying it so much more. Those are the important messages in your post. If those things brought you more joy and felt like the right place then you will forever be looking back saying "if only I had" as you stand in line for the hope of having what is so elusive at Cathay today and for the foreseeable future. Just look back over these posts and the last 6 years. What do you see? A bunch of very unhappy disillusioned people. Cathay keeps changing the rules and the carrot dangling on the stick, which once was spelled carat as oppossed to the veggie kind. Soon it will be a single brussel sprout. And the same guys that are clamouring for the carrot will clamour for the sprout. But it all comes down to you and your ability to face and accept the responsibilty of your choices. Even if it appears there is no choice there is always choice and it belongs to you.

[This message has been edited by AtRisk (edited 21 September 2000).]

bobajob61
22nd Sep 2000, 06:33
Piloterror

Piloterror

I'm so sorry about the way things have gone. My girlfriend cited the same reason for her departure a few months back.

When she left it consolidated in my mind that CX and the struggle to live in HK is NOT the breeze that they tell you about in the interview and so I am going to be outta here very soon. However after making the decision I found out that I am no better placed to get a job back home after two years of the cr@p HK and CX have to offer than I was the day I arrived as a Second Officer on wide body jets. The experience counts for nothing!

The pilot market at home is good and I am now sorting out a less well paid job but with a better standard of living and with a company that is genuine. My girlfriend also says we'll get back together, but we'll see about that when I'm home! :)

Coming to CX and Hong Kong was a mistake, which after wasting what will be three years of my life and adding nothing to my career is coming to an end. Many of my S/O colleagues say exactly the same and are looking to take charge of their lives and quit at last.

New guys, make your own decisions about CX but weigh up the pros and cons very carefully and make the decision that will affect the rest of your life very carefully.

Piloterror
22nd Sep 2000, 13:00
Replies above much appreciated. Just to elaborate a bit, the PILOT IDEAL here isn't 'entirely" what I imagined or expected would become my life. I realise now that this just isn't the path I want to go down. My life is very empty here - only full of the BULL that's been thrown at me. I've tried making the best of things and being ++ve even ignoring the BULL but it sticks and stinks and has finally caught up with me. Reason I asked whether it got any better is from my viewpoint life at CX seems so predictable. Was hoping with my last few sane breathes that someone could give me a REAL reason to stay.

I visit my girl when I get the chance which isn't much. Gotta sort myself out before she lets me marry her.

SMOC
22nd Sep 2000, 16:02
I've almost got the F/O carrot in my grasp and hope to grab it and run before they dangle the sprout and I fall for that.

egt
23rd Sep 2000, 04:47
hey guys,
just wondering where bobajob and piloterror are going to get back your life. I'm about to take the plunge into CX and will be leaving (but staying together) with a girly in the Great White North.

egt

bobajob61
23rd Sep 2000, 06:59
Hi egt

Basically anywhere but here! Good luck at CX; you'll need it and a thick skin. :)

Seriously though the group of guys I hang out with are Yanks, Canucks, Brits and Aussies. We all joined at about the same time. We have all been disillusioned totally by the place and the way we've been treated here. We have ALL sent out applications and in the next few months most will be bidding this crummy airline a very happy goodbye. :) Oh and CX don't give a hoot because they've got tons more cannon fodder waiting to come in every time they put an ad in Flight mag.

Egt and others, use my little group as a crystal ball - this is where you will be in two/three years; tired, disillusioned, and with a very bitter taste in your mouth because as I'm sure you'll agree it's not nice being lied to over and over again. Like I said, good luck :rolleyes:

[This message has been edited by bobajob61 (edited 23 September 2000).]

ils07r
25th Sep 2000, 10:23
I have been extrememly surprised to find out over the last month or two the number of S/Os I know, and know of, that are actively looking to leave Cathay.

Would a semi mass departure cause some problems a few months down the line or can it be coped with?

HardRock
25th Sep 2000, 13:24
The mass departure would have to involve at least 25 all at the same time, which will not happen. They will always be able to find S/O's on short notice.

joyride
25th Sep 2000, 14:04
Dear depressed of Discovery Bay
I know that you are feeling glum right now, and so this may not be the best moment to tell you that things may get much worse...in the short term.
However, in a few months or so you will have completely forgotten the old cow who dumped you so shamelessly and will be enjoying drunken nights out with your mates in Wanchai.
In short dont leap from the frying pan into the fire!!!

AtRisk
25th Sep 2000, 16:46
Joy does not come in the form of alcohol to everyone, especially the day after. And all the booze in China does not mend a thing. Running into a bottle of gin with that stupid grin will turn into a grimace one day when you look back and say (if you ever sober up that is) **** I am still in the pits I just was too drunk to notice. It hurts way worse on the otherside of a bottle of gin than jumping into the fire sober will ever do for anyone.
My Dad was one of those men who always found his answer in the bottle of gin and it never made life better for him, and because he was too drunk or passed out to make the lot better for himself or my Mum and us kids. No thanks mate.

Cul_de _sac
25th Sep 2000, 19:11
GO FOR THE GIRL! CX/HONG KONG AIN'T WORTH LOSING A GOOD CHICK OVER...

Jaded
26th Sep 2000, 07:45
Hmmm
Interesting, how long did it take to get a wide bodied jet job. How much effort to replace a girl friend.

Had more girls than jobs <grin>

I can always find another lady.......

Yours somewhat cynically

Piloterror
26th Sep 2000, 10:40
The Wanchai thing was good but...
the hangover didn't help the tennis day after !!! and I'm still crying...from all that goddamn bar smoke.

Don't want jus' any gal!

Getting the job I want at another airline soon. Just my luck, it's widebody too which is good enough for this home body.

Catcha later at the gym Sport!

bobajob61
26th Sep 2000, 11:08
onya piloterror

Good luck mate with your new outfit. :)

As for Jaded, you're very jaded, get therapy! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

EX HARBOUR DOOD
29th Sep 2000, 02:42
Hey PILOT ERROR,
I believe reality has just hit you and it is not an act of chance that your missus left you.Actually she has left HKG.This is real,your life is in HKG and she does not like it ,unfortunately.Its a bit like when a chick leaves a guy who cant get it up,he is a nice guy,but stuff living with him.I think i will just be friends.
Dont be fooled into believing she will stay because you are earning the bucks!!Everyone wants a life first!!

Piloterror
30th Sep 2000, 04:39
Yeah alrighty then.........!

If you're interested in joining and you're serious about her, make sure she knows what to expect. Good idea to visit HKg together before hand. At the end of the day it really does matter what she thinks and feels and whether she will fit in with the changes carreer wise, and the list goes on - all very important. I was a little umm selfish when I made the decision to come here those few years back. When the initial daze of big bucks, big lights, big jets and so on gets overtaken by the big bills and big [email protected] start to think more clearly........I mean who isn't a pilot who doesn't get a little b(p)igheaded sometimes! And to think I'm still in my twentysomethings. Don't know if I'd have had the guts to get outta here otherwise though.

GOSH AND I WAS THE MATE WHO AVOIDED THESE PILOT SUICIDAL POSTS THINKING IT'D HELP MAKE ME IMMUNE TO THE CX TRAP!

Gotta give credit to someone for hiring us great bunch of pilots although if you think about it we're all a little crazy and s........