PDA

View Full Version : (Silly!) Ryanair Baggage Question

leonbrumsack
15th Jan 2005, 14:33
Hello all!

Am due to make my first RYR trip this Tuesday from STN - LBC, with my parents and brother. Now, I am aware that Ryanair have a (strict!) 15kg per person baggage limit. However, I take it that we are OK providing our total baggage weight doesn't exceed 60kg, i.e. if one suitcase weights 22kg and another 16kg?

Just thought I'd double check - I have heard some horror stories in the past and I don't want to have to start the day with an argument!

Thanks and regards,

Leon :ok:

PS: A spotter-type question - I'm aware that the aircraft should be a B738, does anybody happen to know which? (Not that it really matters!)

Final 3 Greens
15th Jan 2005, 15:13
Leonbrumsack

This is what the Ryanair website says under terms and conditions:

"Checked baggage allowance is 15kg per person (no infant allowance). Passengers may not use the unused allowances of others. Only passengers travelling within the same reservation may pool their baggage allowance. Any excess over 15kg will be chargeable at the rate of £4.50/ˆ7 (or local currency equivalent) per kilo. For health and safety reasons Ryanair will not accept any individual item exceeding 32 kilos."

The second and third sentences seem to contradict each other, so getting it in writing (email) might be a good idea to avoid the argument.

MarkD
15th Jan 2005, 15:36
Final 3

it is a bit confusing but I think it prevents some johnny with 30kgs recruiting some guy with carryon only and offering him 1/2 the excess fare?

leonbrumsack
15th Jan 2005, 15:37
Cheers, Final 3 Greens!

I couldn't find a lot of baggage info on the Ryanair website. I suppose it just means if the person who checks in before you only has 9kg of checked luggage, you can't check in 21kg for free claiming "but he only checked in 9kg!" I guess as we are travelling as a family on reservation, we should be fine. Not that we have any need to take excessive amounts of luggage on a three-night trip. Well, I'll have to try telling my mother that... ;)

asterix4816
15th Jan 2005, 15:40
As long as you are all on the same confirmation then you can pool your luggage allowance. If you are on separate bookings, then even though you are travelling together you cannot pool your luggage.

Also note, if one person doesn't travel then you do not get the extra luggage allowance despite the fact you have paid for the extra seat.

Final 3 Greens
15th Jan 2005, 16:23
MarkD

I'm sure that your hypothesis is spot on.

Just a cr@p piece of wording, no excuse for such sloppiness.

All they needed to say was "Checked baggage allowance is 15kg per person (no infant allowance). Passengers may not use the unused allowances of others, unless they are travelling as a member of a group of people within the same reservation, in which case they may pool their baggage allowance with the other people within the same reservation."