PDA

View Full Version : 767-300 take offs

G-BBAE
15th Jan 2005, 10:00
I am flying on a 767-300 with British Airways and i am wondering if these planes are quite noisy and also what type of engines they have, i know they are Rolls Royce but im wondering how they sound.
Also when taking off on a 767-300 does it take quite a long time to lift up because going on a UA777 before it seemed quite a long take off as did going on a MON330.

Final 3 Greens
15th Jan 2005, 10:28
G-BBAE

The 767 is not particularly noisy in my opinion, from a pax view probably about the same as an 320, although the tone of the engines is different.

BA 767s have the same RR RB211 engines as used on their 747-400 fleet.

Like all wide bodied aircraft, if heavy, the take off roll will feel quite long and this is quite normal, as it was for the 777, A330 and the L1011 TriStar from which you take your handle ;)

As a frequent flyer, I do like BA's version of the 767, the 2-3-2 seat configuration in economy feels less crowded than the 3-4-3 or 3-3-3 config on some other aircraft types.

Enjoy your trip :D

Flightluuvr
15th Jan 2005, 11:25
The length of the takeoff roll can vary with each flight due to factors such as passenger and cargo loads, fuel on board, wind speeds and runway takeoff minimums (rate of climb). An aircraft might need only 1/2 the runway with a light load and favorable headwinds, but need 3/4 of it when fully loaded. It is all pre-calculated before the flight. Hope you enjoy your trip! :ok:

G-BBAE
15th Jan 2005, 11:58
Which other airlines use RR RB211 engines on their 767s.
I hope BA 767s are powerful, just like the BY ones are.

BahrainLad
15th Jan 2005, 12:37
Qantas use them on theirs (but in fact I think they got them cheap off BA!)

China Southern?

That's about it I think.

RR-powered 767s have a performance disadvantage compared to the CF6 version; the 211 is operating right at its limits on the 767.

G-BBAE
15th Jan 2005, 21:44
Are RR RB211s quite powerful on take off, also what engines do UA777s have?

TightSlot
16th Jan 2005, 06:34
G-BBAE - I recognise the posting style - you wouldn't be the mark II version of tommyinyork would you?

If you are, then please remember: Not too many questions at one time, and when you get an answer, a thank you is occasionally a good thing.

G-BBAE
19th Jan 2005, 17:51
Yes i am, moving back onto the topic of the 767-300, is the BA767 a noisy plane or quite smooth, ive seen a few reviews on car survey saying they are noisy but then some saying its a smooth flyer.

Final 3 Greens
19th Jan 2005, 19:37
ive seen a few reviews on car survey saying they are noisy but then some saying its a smooth flyer. Please would you translate this from Martian, into English ;) , then I'll have a go at answering.

BTW, little hint, why don't you post a little "thank you" note for Tightslot, who has tried to help you with some good advice.

F3G

G-BBAE
20th Jan 2005, 10:42
You can read can't you, if you havent got anything possitive to say dont reply.

spoilers yellow
20th Jan 2005, 10:45
The take off roll on the 767 will vary depending on where you are flying to due to the weight of the a/c which will in turn decide how much the engines will be de-rated for take off.

A heavy 76, say to the bahamas will be fairly noisy during the take off roll, take a long time to get airbourne and when it comes to reducing power to climb power, seem like somebody has just closed both thrust levers.

A light 76 going to Barcelona for example will use much less power to get airbourne ( to save engine life) and should get airbourne quicker, climb quicker and have a much less noticeable reduction in engine noise at accleration altitude (1000ft aal).
This because on a very light a/c it is possible to be taking off with your climb power set!!
As for other a/c noise, sitting around the wing section you will get all the usual hydraulic motor noises as landing gear is retracted and flaps retracted.
If you're interested, i'm sure most guys on the fleet would accomodate a flight deck visit on the ground.

Enjoy your trip.:ok:

Jetdriver
20th Jan 2005, 12:38
I am sure BBAE wishes to thank everybody for their help in answering the various questions.