PDA

View Full Version : HK hockey

egt
11th Sep 2000, 03:35
Am moving over to HK this winter and wonder as a new hire - will I have time and - where can I play hockey? I know there's leagues around HK, wondering if any of you guys play?

egt

Day Sleeper
11th Sep 2000, 07:21
EGT:

Go and see the boys in the techinical training dept. There are a couple of Canucks there that will point you in the right direction. They are in the sim building.

Cheers

ils07r
11th Sep 2000, 08:43
Hi EGT welcome to HK

I'm a footballer and member of HK Football Club which also has a great hockey squad (I think 7 men's teams) and is pretty typical of most of the sports clubs here. Joining fees 3 years ago were HK$100,000 odd and then it's HK$2,000 per month on top. I've looked up on the internet for some of the other clubs that play hockey and I can only find one. The KCC info I got on the internet is listed below.

Kowloon Cricket Club

Special Voting Member (SV)….. Joining Fee HK$50,000…… Monthly Sub HK$1,000
Ordinary Voting Member (OV)….. Joining Fee HK$50,000…..Monthly Sub HK$1,000

Other clubs that I know play hockey are Valley, Shaheen, KNS, Bullets, Islamic, Recreio, Khalsa, CSSA, Castlers I think about 12 all together.

Good luck and see you in the bar! :)

[This message has been edited by ils07r (edited 11 September 2000).]

Thrust
11th Sep 2000, 13:15
EGT; I assume as a Canuk you are into the ice form of hockey?!!?

I suggest ils07r is talking about field hockey, could be wrong of course. I expect that after the first 4 to 6 months you'll find plenty of time to play. That's if you don't want to play in Thailand or the philippines... other sports that is. Why not take up a real game and play rugby?

[This message has been edited by Thrust (edited 11 September 2000).]

egt
11th Sep 2000, 13:18
Hey thanx for the info guys but holy CRAP is that ever expensive (guess I should've known -sigh- ). I'm a goalie so I play for free over here in the Great White North!
Guess I'd better get used to it...

will be there in Dec. See you there...

egt

ils07r
11th Sep 2000, 14:37
Sorry guys I did mean field hockey!

I have no idea about the ice variety.

You'll be wanting to change the name of my sports club to HK soccer club I suppose :)

Finally and as a bit of forewarning though HK is very expensive. There have been some posts on the subject in this forum.

Still see you at the bar though, no ice for me :)

cheesecake
11th Sep 2000, 18:19
I don't know about hockey, but a lot of the guys here play hookey.

Thrust
12th Sep 2000, 04:19
Good one Cheese. Fancy you to turning one of the sweetest most lovely threads into an us and them one.

So, seeing as you did... what game are management playing? I expect they are in an "old boys club" where screwing their fellow man is the main agenda. Note the middle/upper class public school background in the higher ranks and all is explained. Bend over 'Tom Brown"

egt
12th Sep 2000, 05:32
Don't know if you guys will have seen them so hop on over to adcritic.com and lookup the latest Molson Canadian commercials(adverts). The one called 'no doot aboot it' I think is the one I'm thinking of. For those of you who worry too much about management (I don't yet...) think of this commercial and hitting the ice with some of your favourite managers.

Aside from that, anyone got info on ICE hockey (sorry ILS, I forgot that there are OTHER kinds of hockey...) in HK?
Thanx again,

egt

Goonybird
12th Sep 2000, 12:37
egt,
Hockey in H.K is very limited. There are only two, maybe three ice surfaces and they are very small. So you'll be busy in the net! Not sure on the cost. Lugging all that gear to Sham Shui Po is going to take all the pleasure out of the game though.
Give this link a try....

Hockey Night in Asia (http://www.hockeynightinasia.com/Hockey/hk.asp)

[This message has been edited by Goonybird (edited 12 September 2000).]

1-stripper
13th Sep 2000, 00:05
egt: Did you see the one "I am not Canadian"
http://www.geocities.com/aircrew999