PDA

View Full Version : Commercial venture

ADS
14th Jan 2005, 18:18
Hi all.

I am looking at a business model that involves flying frozen or chilled fresh fish over a distance of about 5000nms.

Although I am involved in commercial aviation, freight is not my thing and I need some help.
I would like the following info to start the ball rolling.

1. Aircraft: what is the most suitable aircraft to operate from a runway that is only 5000 long - we would obviously have to stop enroute to uplift fuel etc as the destination is 4500nm away from origin.

2. What is the best way to fly frozen or chilled packed fresh fish.

Any ideas or common issues would be most useful.

Thanks

Fried_Chicken
14th Jan 2005, 19:54
Icelandair fly fish between Iceland & the UK using B757-200s so someone from Icelandair maybe able to help

FC

Diabolo
15th Jan 2005, 07:58
I flew many times between Senegal and Athens Fish missions and Moncton (Canada) to Hahn (Germany) Lobster missions.

You can PM me if you wish. (about the Commercial side I have no idea)

Say again s l o w l y
15th Jan 2005, 10:48
When we carry fish, it usually in polystyrene boxes packed with dry ice. According to the labels, this is ok for up to 24 Hrs.

airhumberside
15th Jan 2005, 11:02
Icelandair fly fish between Iceland & the UK using B757-200s
If you are on about the HUY flights, these are presently contracted to Aviapaualanga. a Lithuanian company with Tu-204C's. Bluebird Cargo have also operated some flights with a B737F

ADS
15th Jan 2005, 17:33
some useful info so far, thanks.

so fish can be carried in polystyrene boxes with dry ice, good news for weight. Now about the aircraft and other regulations requiring carrying fish. What is the most economical aircraft to operate, maybe a 757-200 or A300 freighter? what is known as the best twin for carrying cargo over water; is etops a requirement still?
are there any freight airlines disposing of aircraft or upgrading?
is there any online performance manuals I can look at?

Thanks so much, its all very useful.

CargoOne
15th Jan 2005, 22:34
you should know your requirements better.
can say you just one thing: you can feel free to choose any TWO of these three points:
1. take-off from 5000ft rwy
2. go for 5000 nm (even with techstops)
3. have competitive per-kilo rates.

that kind of operations are normally done with a feeder fleet, feeding fish to some closest hub with a scheduled maindeck capacity or to some airport where it can be loadaded on widebody freighter. otherwise you are not competitive.

Harrier46
17th Jan 2005, 14:17
On the commercial side you need a return load otherwise uneconomic.