PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Airways Emergency Landing Into Kathmandu

A300Man
14th Jan 2005, 17:45
An A300-600R had to return to KTM a couple of weeks back to make an emergency landing, shortly after take off. An engine was shut-down in the ascent apparently, resulting in the declared emergency.

It seems strange that KTM was the first choice of emergency landing for the crew of A7-ABX. Isn't KTM a tricky enough airport to fly into with TWO or more engines, let alone on an aircraft that only has one engine? Surely DEL or DAC would have been wiser choices.

Only asking.

mutt
14th Jan 2005, 18:56
What was the weather like in KTM, DEL and DAC?

Just how far away are DEL and DAC?

If the crew are familiar with the KTM VOR approach and the weather was ok, then IMHO, it made more sense to return there rather than divert.

Mutt.

ironbutt57
15th Jan 2005, 11:50
Personally, unless my wing was totally ingulfed with uncontrollable blazing fire, I would divert as per SOP's however, cannot comment on the actions of the QR crew, as am not familiar with their SOP's or the specific problems they were up against...had to be there I guess.....We get paid to make judgement calls..and these fellows made one, and the outcome was successful...KTM weather was good incidentally....