PDA

View Full Version : LUCK just pure luck

KIFIS
9th Sep 2000, 08:20
Just after I posted this story on “ Rumours and News “ I realize it should be on “Fragrant Harbour “. ( Cathay Pacific ) Here it is again and this time it’s dedicated to all those lovely young women down the back.

LUCK just pure luck

My log book says this happened on 31 May 1970 (a long time ago). A Convair 880 is departing Osaka Japan. On board 11 Crew and about 105 passengers.

The Japanese Municipal Airport Authorities at Osaka for reasons known only to themselves built a massive re-enforced concrete barrier across the western end of the relatively short Rw 32. Its purpose was to stop an aircraft from overrunning the end and skidding across onto a busy road. Every heavy take off towards that barrier was a balanced field length and the fact that the rubber-covered surface was not grooved made for very bad news indeed. There was no extra stopping margin whatsoever and in the wet it was diabolical.

This particular flight turned onto Rw 32 for a heavy weight rolling take off. As the thrust levers moved forward I heard the flight deck door bang open and I became aware someone had entered . Next I heard a girl’s voice shout out “ A wheel has come off “. CLANG go the four thrust levers as they hit the closed stops and I look around to see one of our girls standing behind me. She had most decidedly stopped the take off. It was an easy decision to return to the apron. A short distance along the taxyway we see a group of airport workers waving and pointing to one of our main wheels lying on the grass verge. Almost back to the apron the aircraft gives a lurch and settles down on the left side. We are now disabled with flat tyres. The Convair did not like operating with one main wheel missing.

Later by assessing how far we taxied after the wheel detached and using this as a gauge it was thought that if the take off had continued we would have traveled about three quarters of the distance needed to lift off before the remaining tyres failed. Then would come the frantic effort to stop with degraded braking plus a directional problem. Failure to stop before the barrier would be fatal - a fire ball for sure.

The sharp-witted young lady who dashed onto the flight deck was one of the junior Chinese crew members. I remember complimenting her on her quick positive thinking and left it at that. However now that I think back over the years I feel rather guilty for not sitting down with her and explaining in detail exactly what it was that she had helped prevent. She deserved the biggest bunch of red roses the flower shop could send. On a card with the roses I should have written “ we owe you “. To make matters worse I have forgotten her name and all I remember is a pretty smiling face. How did she know the wheel came off ? A window passenger on the left side saw it rolling across the grass and alerted her. If there is a moral in this story then it has to be “ There are times when we need each other “.

KIFIS

Cloud Cuckooland
10th Sep 2000, 04:05
That's one really good story! Maybe any CRM presenters reading this could use this incident as an example.
If you want to find out who it was - CX probably still has the crew list somewhere - they exist on a mountain of paper and have records of everything.