PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream II (XA-FOU), Irish Race Course, 18th April 1983

My names Turkish
14th Jan 2005, 15:13
I hope that this is the right forum for this.

Does anyone know of the details of Gulfstream II (XA-FOU) that did an emergency landing at Mallow Race Course, Cork, Ireland 18th April 1983? There was a programme on the television here some months ago, a collection of unusual news events, one of the events was a Mexican GII that made a forced landing on a grass strip at a Horse Race course after a number of missed approaches into Shannon aiport.

The Captain became a local hero and a celebrity while he had to spend a few weeks in the area while the aircraft insurance company built a hard surface runway so the Aircraft could be flown out of the strip. There was a large gathering of press and locals to see him go and he made a speech thanking them for their hospitality and said a few words in the Irish language before boarding the GII and doing a short field take off, followed by a very low pass of the field and a wing rock. The locals, were delighted!

Subsequently I heard that the Captain had his licence taken away because of the fuel shortage situation that caused the forced landing in the first place.

I was wondering if this was the case and where he his now? Is it possible that he reads PPRuNe?

IRISHWINGS
20th Jan 2005, 18:27
Rumour has it that he added to the latin population of east cork !! there's a big salsa club in mallow in his memory. There was a temporary r/w put down to get the jet out.

Panama Jack
21st Jan 2005, 20:41
Salsa in Cork? Sounds like quite a flamboyant character and welcoming folks. Cool! :ok:

VIPangel
3rd Feb 2005, 21:10
Salsa in Mallow....I love it!

I'd say alright he was a hit with the locals....the female type of course! Bet they thought it was the beginning of the Spanish Armada Part II........Hole!

MR MXL
8th Jul 2006, 05:31
Good morning forum...
well here is what really happened that day @ Mallow..
http://fsmex.com/foros/viewtopic.php?t=8905
I'm sorry but it is in Spanish:confused: so if you have questions don't be afraid to ask me:).

The Captain of that GII was Cap. Ruben "El Muerto" Ocaņa he is an AMX retired pilot.
Cap. Ocaņa's license wasn't taken away & he also received was awarded by Gulfstream:D
Cap.Ocaņa was in a transatlantic flight heading Shannon aiport, as he was running out of fuel & Shannon airport were closed due to heavy fog he was told to land @ Mallow's horse race course.

The plane made it to the ground with no damage & left a few weeks ago after the inssurance company build a tarmac strip.

Cap. Ocaņa now lives in Mexico city & is 84 years old.
we are sure he made a great job that day & after reading his story he became my heroe.

747boy
8th Jul 2006, 14:56
seems the plane in question came to a tragic end.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20041122-0