PDA

View Full Version : Itunes

expedite_climb
14th Jan 2005, 12:11
Hi,

Recently got a 4th gen IPOD. Installed ITUNE's on the laptop. Everything works fine but it seems to take a long time to rip a CD to put on ITUNES. Is this just because my machine is slow or is there a quicker way to do it ?

Running a DELL Inspiron 2500 - 256MB ram and Celeron 900mhz....

I suppose i could answer the question myself - buy a faster PC?

Jhieminga
14th Jan 2005, 13:17
I don't have any experience with iTunes, but the ripping speed may not be directly linked to your computer speed. I've found that especially the CD read speed dictates the time needed. Also there is a difference between ripping directly to an MP3 file, and via an intermediate WAV file. If the program you use normalizes the MP3 file, it can only do so via a WAV file. The total time needed will almost double because of this. Maybe iTunes does this automatically for you.

If you want to compare ripping speeds, you could download Audiograbber which is a free MP3 ripping utility: http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/
From the download page you need both the program and the LAME encoding DLL file. Install the program and copy the DLL file into the same directory and you're good to go!

Have a go with that, try some of the settings and see if it makes a difference!

goates
14th Jan 2005, 21:34
Faster computers do make a difference with ripping CD's, provided the CD drive is fast too. What speed is your CD drive?

I take it you have WindowsXP? Running XP with 256MB of RAM will also be slowing programs down. XP runs quite well with 512MB, as that leaves plenty of room for both XP and running applications.

Try the program Jhieminga suggested. If that program is slow too, maybe it's time to bump your RAM up another 256MB.

goates

Jerricho
15th Jan 2005, 00:16
E-C, maybe you already have heard this, but I'll share a little advice regarding your iPod. (something I found very useful).

Don't set your iPod up with an "auto-update" from iTunes when you first plug it in to your computer. That way, should ther be music on the iPod that isn't in your library, it's not going to get removed from the iPod.

joe2812
15th Jan 2005, 11:42
I just got a 4G iPod with iTunes - absolutely hate the program but iPods won't run without it so...

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 9100 3.2 GHz 1024 RAM and to rip a CD it takes about 10 secs a song to put it onto the comp, then the same again onto the iPod.

Not being too computer literate I can't offer much help but it'll give you something to measure it against!

expedite_climb
15th Jan 2005, 12:05
Thanks guys,

I think the cd drive in my laptop is a 24X. Might try installing ITUNES on the desktop if it has a faster cd drive, although the PC is similar spec.

joe2812 - that sounds better. Takes nearer a minute a track for me. Better start saving for a new pc i think....

5milesbaby
15th Jan 2005, 14:20
expedite - when I loaded up iTunes I was asked both my preferred settings for ripping and burning. I specified a high rip quality and only 2x burn speed to get top quality CD's (I find my burner can overheat and distort slightly at max speed). It maybe that you have selected a high setting for your storage so it takes longer to rip. Also you can set for the program to auto update and do several other things on opening, maybe disabling these may quicken the rip. To see your settings go to "edit" top left and view "preferences". Browse through and stop everything you don't need.

For those who think that i-Tunes is all you can use, I use RealPlayer v10 with plenty of ease, and as all my music is stored in .ra format have no other choice unless I reload it all back in. RealPlayer converts the format for the i-Pod and takes about 10 seconds to transfer a whole album.

goates
15th Jan 2005, 16:04
expedite_climb,

You're CD drive is probably the culprite. Most desktop drives are now up to 48x or 52x speed drives. Try it on your desktop and see what happens.

joe2812,

Look for Ephpod if you don't like Itunes or maybe Realplayer. I think there is also a plugin for Winamp that will let you manage your iPod.

goates

joe2812
16th Jan 2005, 21:37
goates

Thankee :ok: