PDA

View Full Version : Instructors Rating

d_devilliers
14th Jan 2005, 05:53
Just hoping to get some advice from people on the current state of the job market for flight instructors. I am currently in South Africa and I have a Canadian CPL. I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to get a job if I do my instructor's rating in either SA or Canada. Can anyone please let me know what the hiring situation is like? Also, what are some good flight schools in SA to get a rating done? Thanks

orangesky
14th Jan 2005, 09:27
hello

from past experience, you are going to need an SA CPL before you are able to sit the FI exams (there are 2 3hour exams) and take the flight test. that will entail sitting the 8 CPL exams, doing the CPL flight test and having the requisite number of night hours etc etc, if this is the route you are going to go down, i would suggest virginia flight school near Durban (www.vfs.co.za)they have a tendancy to source their instructors from those who have done the course with them and things seem to be going very well for them, from what i last heard.

this is however, the longer route, given that you already have a canadian CPL, wouldnt it make more sense to go back to canada and get the FI rating there ? i have no idea on job prospects for FI's in canada though ......

.... from past experience, your flying career is going to be full of making these sorts of decisions :\ for some you can do much research, but for others, unfortunately you wont be able to do much more than go with your gut instinct and what you think will make you happy

good luck :ok: