View Full Version : Ratio of those hired?

FMS Guide
13th Jan 2005, 19:36
Does anybody have any idea how many pilots Cathay interviews, just to find one new hire?

Regards,

Koyo
13th Jan 2005, 20:04
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87694

Go there. Please read the stuff posted inside the first thread of this board. All the info are there and should be updated.

Canadian Beech
14th Jan 2005, 02:23
Hmmm... couldn't find the answer there... and the string seemed geared to Cadet info.:hmm: Perhaps the wrong Page?

Koyo
14th Jan 2005, 20:05
Doh...I got to stop posting just before bedtime. I'm getting all confused and posting the wrong things. Nevermind that link, I don't think anyone posted the hiring ratio for direct entry pilots yet. For all other stuff just refer to the first link on the board. Sorry about that.

Obbie
19th Jan 2005, 15:28
The first round usually consists of approx 40 guys.
Interviewed over the course of a Monday to Friday.

Of those 40 approx. 16 are invited to second round in HK.

Of those 16 that go to HK approx. 8 are hired.

So I guess in the end you have a 1 in 5 chance of making it
all the way through.

PS: If you get an FO interview and they ask you how would
you feel about joining as an SO instead, don't answer that you
would find that job frustraiting (ie not touching the controls for
2 to 3 years), you will end up on the other side of 1 in 5 with
me.:{

wondering
19th Jan 2005, 18:02
@Obbie

And I thought honesty goes a long way. But who knows maybe they did you a favour if you really feel that way.

QNH1013
20th Jan 2005, 03:46
Got a 1 in 5 chance of making it!
No pressure then :ugh:

Good Luck to all those preparing for it.

DDDOF
20th Jan 2005, 10:50
I would say the first interview number were a little high, when I did my first interview and saw the sign in sheet it was more like 5 interviews a day for 5 days.
What I couldn't believe was the number of no shows, at least one per day. You know some people would give their left nut for the chance and others are just throwing it away.
At my second interview there were two groups of 8 and one group of 4 during the week. From 2 different first interview weeks (Paris and Vancouver).
So I would say 2 weeks of 25 with 5 no shows = 40 of that 16 got through to round two.
Of those 16 I believe around 9 of us were hired.
So I would say 9 out of around 40 to start.
So one in four, still not too far off what Obbie said.
Just my observation though.

Pointer
20th Jan 2005, 12:22
when i was in HKG one recruiter told me out of 30 they got 7 to go to HKG, don't know succes rate at the HKG end though. msut be similar, or maybe a bit better.

when i was in Paris i think there was i high turnup rate there.

by the way; honesty does not mean sticking your foot-in-to-mouth, they know it as well that its not the most exciting way to go as SO if you have the experience; like they said to me at the final interview;" we are not looking for wright or wrong anwsers but more how you think about things!

Pointer :E

Medwin
20th Jan 2005, 14:27
I also heard that the ratio varies significantly.

Koyo
20th Jan 2005, 19:27
Being honest doesn't hurt as long as you know how to put things in a positive light. I don't think there's enough personal stories to really pin down the success ratio. Like they say in statistics: "the results can't be trusted as the sample size is too small".