PDA

View Full Version : Work Permit - help please

birdlady
13th Jan 2005, 17:32
Good evening ladies and gents

Just a quick question, I did try and do a search and cant get exactly what Im looking for. Im doing my CPL here in jhb. I know there are so few jobs out there and I dont have a South African work permit. I have an irish passport. Ive been living here all most 7 years and have been battling to get a work permit. Any suggestions on how I could speed up the process or how I should go about it. Do I first get an offer of a job and then apply or do I apply now and hope for the best? Someone said, that if I apply now, and get rejected when I do get a job that an employer would be reluctant to hire me - is this true. Any suggestions or comments would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
BL

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Jan 2005, 18:57
bl

Get into one of the contract companies operating in Africa/Middle East/Other War Zones for the UN or ICRC. No work permit necessary as you'll be working outside South Africa and any permits will be obtained for you by the company/NGO.

DenC
14th Jan 2005, 06:01
But how can one find these companies? I have tried the UN website and things like that but I cant seem to find the companies flying....

Stephen Stark
14th Jan 2005, 06:57
birdlady

Have you been here on a 7 year student visa or do you have residence? If you have residence you don't need a work permit, you are entiled to do whatever you want except vote for government. If not, the best thing to do is get a letter of employment, these visa's are usually issued for the company that you will work for and will expire if you leave or get fired. This is what my family has been through, they are all foreign nationals. Enjoy the flying!:ok:

edge70
14th Jan 2005, 08:19
Hey there Mr Stark how are you doing?

birdlady
14th Jan 2005, 14:42
Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice. let me get this straight, you apply for the job and then the company applies for the work permit for you. They obviously have contacts so can cut through all the bs. Fantastic!!!!

Ive just been out to Phobus Apollo in Rand, and one of the instructors told me basically the same thing re work permit. They seem really jacked up. Any opinions on this school?

Thanks BL;) ;)

Stephen Stark
14th Jan 2005, 15:59
Hello edge 70 I'm well ty and how do I know you?

BL, I don't know much of Phoebus Apollo, except they have really cool planes you can fly when you're done with your licence :ok: What type of flying are you planning to do when you are done?

birdlady
14th Jan 2005, 20:33
Hi SS

xcuse the spelling its late and Im just back from the pub.

Im not too sure what I want to do when Im finished. I dont know whether to do my instructors rating or just go for broke and apply to one of the chartering companies. I will do pretty much any job if it involves flying however I would like to go into teaching but Id also like to do some bush flying. Maybe Maun in Bots - I hear they'll take on low houred pilots. I just dont know. I suppose I first have to focus on getting the exams out of the way but I would like to have some kind of plan.

Phoebus looks good. The bloke I spoke to seemed really with it - said all the right things. Even offered to let me take a joy ride on one of the DC's to bots. Be there like a shot!!!!!!!!!!

Ciao all
BL:ok: :ok: :ok:

dynamite dean
24th Jan 2005, 07:39
Hey stevey is this a CFS reunion? on PPRUNE:ok:

RSQ
28th Jan 2005, 15:53
Hey BL - Remember you are in SA land of ignoring the laws !- I employ a number of pilots, and personally don't give a tiny rodents posterior passage as to whether they have a work permit or not. I offer the position to locals first, but if I do not find a suitable person locally, as far as I am concerned- it is available to the best applicant- male or female ! Good luck with your search.
P.S. I presume you are a female - BEWARE of guys offering you flighs which you are clearly not qualified to be employed for ! Hmmmmm do I detect an ulterior motive ??

edge70
29th Jan 2005, 06:18
Hey there Dynamite Dean.
Are you back in SA?

Indeed a CFS reunion.

birdlady
29th Jan 2005, 14:49
RSQ,

:ok: :ok: :ok:

Skaz
29th Jan 2005, 23:38
thar ulterior motive workled quite well for someone in nambabwe.

Go to Maun, a female pilot will go down well there:E
I meant will be well received:}

AfricanQueen
31st Jan 2005, 19:02
Ag shame, if that's how you've got to get a job, I'd rather turn patties at the local McDonalds.

Jangys
1st Feb 2005, 11:38
The easiest way to go.....

Marry a South African....

birdlady
1st Feb 2005, 15:57
Jangys - been there and dont plan to do it again

African Queen - :ok: :ok:

I just read a post on lets all wake up (kilo bravo) and someone said that they are going to stop non sa citizens/passport holders from obtaining an sa licence. Can anybody shed some light on this? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ingwe
2nd Feb 2005, 11:12
Also seen KB's postings and whilst I sympathies it does work both ways. Aviation is international, there are south africans all over, if we sent them back there would be even more wingeing!!

Did the NGO thing up in Loki for 2 years and had to go through the whole work permit and Kenyan licence. Even though the company was supposed to help it was a mission to get everything together. The Kenyans make it extremely hard for foreigners to get permits etc. Without a valid work permit, your CPL/ATPL won't be renewed.

Attitude of a lot of the SA guys I've met is not the greatest, what's wrong with the old route of Instructing and building hours that way? Don't turn your noses up at anything every little helps.