PDA

View Full Version : Why Doesn't Prune Remember Me?

Capn Bloggs
12th Jan 2005, 21:37
Recently, I have had to manually log in each time to make a post. In the past, Prune always remembered me! I've deleted my Prune cookies but still it doesn't know who I am. This is happening on both my computers.
Is it just me/my gear, how do I fix it or has the Prune website changed?:confused:

blueloo
12th Jan 2005, 21:44
You are not alone. Nearly all of the time it doesnt remember me (on 2 computers), then when i do have to re-log in, half of the time it remembers my username and password, then the other times it remembers username, but no passward!

...................:zzz: :confused: :confused:

tobzalp
12th Jan 2005, 21:57
Same for me. Internet explorer and Firefox.

swh
12th Jan 2005, 22:05
Pprune is using different cookies now, they time expire by themself to stop the possibility of people using anothers account on say a work machine you forgot to log out of.

I assume you have the "use cookies" option in user control panel clicked ?

If you want to stop cookies in general with IE6, I used this bit of code, save it as say file.xml, then import into explorer (V6) as a privacy setting, under Tools|Internet Options...|Privacy|Import stops cookies to your machine

<MSIEPrivacy>
<MSIEPrivacySettings formatVersion="6">
<p3pCookiePolicy zone="internet">
<firstParty noPolicyDefault="forceSession" noRuleDefault="forceSession" alwaysAllowSession="yes">
</firstParty>
<thirdParty noPolicyDefault="reject" noRuleDefault="reject" alwaysAllowSession="no">
</thirdParty>
</p3pCookiePolicy>
</MSIEPrivacySettings>
<flushCookies/>
</MSIEPrivacy>

:ok:

planemad2
12th Jan 2005, 22:25
Same here. :(

Sometimes I am still logged in the next day, other times I am not after only a few hours, it is very irregular. :(

Crash & Burn
13th Jan 2005, 00:10
See this thread here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116430).

In a nutshell though:

PPRuNe Towers
Dep Chief PPRuNe Pilot
(IC Lavs & Dunnies)

Timothy,

You are indeed correct - the PPruNe log-in cookie is now an environmentally friendly bio degradable version.

No waffle so here are the reasons:

Firstly our core readership, those for whom the site was originally set up, log on from offices, hotels, bars, and internet cafes. There's a long history of forgetting to log off and opening the site to other, often troublemaking posters.

Secondly we have a very heavy admin postbag, the joy of answering which falls upon my remarkably sturdy yet careworn shoulders. A consistent 30% of the mail concerns forgotten/lost passwords. Therefore the timeout on the cookie has been introduced to re-introduce many readers to the joys of having to remember their own password rather than me

It'll piss off a few, lead to a short term flood of forgotten password stuff for me to deal with but should pay off in the end.

Then again Danny and I both have been wrong many times in the past

Regards
Rob

NAMPS
13th Jan 2005, 00:57
Look at the bright side, at least you have no excuse for forgetting your password :}

Capn Bloggs
13th Jan 2005, 01:05
SWH,
I checked my "Edit Options" in my Prune control panel and found that both cookies options were selected to NO. I'll select them YES and see what happens.
Thanks for the tip.

gaunty
13th Jan 2005, 02:04
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so that's it :{

I have a bad habit of sometimes longish posts to which I apply a bit of thought = time.:yuk:

You have therefore been saved of late, of some "pearls" that have disappeared into the ether and I haven't had the time to redo.:rolleyes:

Ah well back to Word for the longy's :p :=