PDA

View Full Version : Brasil - tips on best internal airline to use

dufc
10th Jan 2005, 21:25
Hi,
I want to fly with my family from Rio de Janeiro to Foz do Iguassu in July 2005 to visit for a couple of days.
Any tips on who to use (or not to use!). Any other related info greatly welcomed.
Thanks
Jim
(na Escocia)

egpws
11th Jan 2005, 00:37
Hey DUFC !

Well..... first of all, avoid to fly VASP Airlines (www.vasp.com.br) ! All their fleet (mostly very very very old 737-200s and few 737-300s) are in very bad shape!

So... let´s discuss how you can get to IGU (Foz do Iguaçu) from Sao Paulo. You can try VARIG (www.varig.com or www.varig.com.br), TAM (www.tam.com.br) or GOL (www.voegol.com.br).

Currently GOL has only one daily flight from Sao Paulo/Congonhas Airport (CGH) to IGU with a stop in Curitiba (CWB). The flight departs from CGH around 9pm local time and arrives in IGU aroun 11:30pm, this means that if you are coming directly from Europe to IGU, you probably shouldn´t get on this flight because most of the flights from Europe arrive at Sao Paulo/Guarulhos Intl Apt (GRU) early in the morning. So you avoid airport change and a very long waiting period to continue your journey to IGU ! (Note that this DEPARTURE TIME for Gol flight to IGU may change until July/05 .... so you´d better check their website!) By the way, Gol is a low fare airline so they usually have very reasonable fares!

Regarding Varig and TAM, they have several daily flights from Sao Paulo (both from GRU and CGH) to IGU. Take a look at their websites!

If you have any other doubts such as transportation between airports in Sao Paulo (if you need it, of course!), just let me know!

Regards from Brazil....

EGPWS

malagajohn
11th Jan 2005, 08:00
Hi Jim

I'll second what our Brazilian friend says above

I flew Varig , TAM and Gol domestically last year and all were fine

I wonder if VASP will be in business when you are there in july

My personal choice would be GOL -planes are all fairly new and the service is better - probably depends on timings and prices

dufc
13th Jan 2005, 07:06
Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

FYI we will have been in Rio for five days prior to the planned Foz trip.

I've checked out some prices with the airlines (except VASP!) as suggested. Now I'm also looking online at packages from Rio incl. hotel in Foz do Iguassu.

Muito obrigado,

Jim