PDA

View Full Version : Restrictions to J1 US visa?

Simon853
10th Jan 2005, 21:25
Hi,
Could anyone point me in the direction of a detailed description of what a CPL student can do upon course completion while on a J1 visa, and what not? (I've searched here, but "J1" is too short for the search engine.)

I know it allows a person to work in the professional field for which they've trained under the issuance of the visa, but what I'm not clear on is whether it is restricted to instructing.

I know that practically it is, since I wouldn't get hired under 1000 hours, which I'd need to instruct to attain, but what then, could I do a bit of charter work if the opportunity came up?

Thanks,

Si

Simon853
11th Jan 2005, 17:58
Ok, I've found out the answer now, so I'll post it for the sake of anyone else who searches here for the same information:

The J1 visa only allows the bearer to work as a flight instructor until the end of the validity period, (typically 2 years from start of CPL training.)

Si

Fair_Weather_Flyer
11th Jan 2005, 20:04
Another issue with the J1 is whether the student can transfer to another employer after the training is complete. With most J1 schools, going somewhere else for work is not a problem. However, some schools will try and block you from moving elsewhere, even if they cannot provide the student with a job. I don't know what the official INS line is here. There is another issue with experience levels to get the visa. I've heard some schools will not help you get it if you have even a PPL; then on the other side I know two JAA FATPL holders who managed to get the visa issued. Strange but true.

Simon853
11th Jan 2005, 21:34
The official line on J1 eligibility is if you already have a professoinal qualification in the specified industry (for aviation a CPL) then you are not eligible to receive a J1, because the terms of the J1 enable you to gain experience in your *new* qualification. (Regardless of which international authority provided your CPL.)

There should be no problem transfering to another school to gain experience once qualified, but the school which processed the J1 on your behalf and conducted your training is responsible for you while you're in the US, and must monitor your progress. Their future ability to participate in the J1 scheme may depend on their adherence to the rules and procedures. So I guess it could be that if you wanted to work somewhere they thought was inappropriate, or illegal under the terms of the visa (i.e. you were officially going to be instructing but would be doing other work on the sly) then they could make steps to prevent you from working there. It's their livelihood on the line also.

Si

Fair_Weather_Flyer
11th Jan 2005, 21:56
Well, I'm currently in the US on a J-1 visa and working on my instructor ratings so I do have first had experience of this visa. My school has quite a few instructors who are good bets for airline jobs in the next few months. However, if they do not leave I may need to find a job elsewhere. The official line from the school (who have otherwise been good) is that they will not permit me to find work elsewhere. Now, things are going well here in the States with plenty of jobs to chase so finding work is most likely not a problem; I may well be able to find something much better that what my trainer could offer.

I sense that the story I'm getting from the school I'm training with is not true. The INS is not easy to contact so if anyone can offer me any advice I'd be very happy.