PDA

View Full Version : Groundschool Instruction - a career?

10th Jan 2005, 12:58
Mod - have posted this on the examiner's forum but as it is Rotary specific I hope it may stay here for a while.

Please forgive my ignorance in what follows. I'm a lecturer and a PPL(H) too old to become a working CPL or an FI (money and hours issue).

Is there any kind of career to made out of ground instruction (granted have to obtain the CPL exam passes first) or do such positions require commercial flying experience as well as the appropriate quals?

Any information gratefully received.

ariel
10th Jan 2005, 13:17
Don't know about rotary, but can be done fixed wing.

First, you need to complete the AOPA ground school course, (check to see what training organisations run it - or ask AOPA)

Before you start, you will be given an entrance exam to do. This covers ALL of the 7 PPL subjects, and has a pass rate of 75%

During the course, you will be expected to construct and give numerous briefings to your tutor, (and students).

After completing the course, you will undertake quite a long oral examination, which normally comprises of: Full brief to examiner on subject (mutually agreed on with the examiner beforehand, to give you time to prepare). Also, a question and answers session on all 7 PPL ground subjects.

Incidentally, the PPL(H) has two different exams comprising of weight and balance, and techical. The other subjects are the same as for fixed wing, (Nav, Met, etc).

After you have completed the course and have the certificate, you could, if sponsored by a FTO or RTF, become a ground examiner, as well as a ground instructor.

You do not have to do the CPL writtens first to become a ground instructor, the course above will suffice.

Good luck ariel