PDA

View Full Version : Cargo plane crash in Uganda kills six Russians

Deanw
10th Jan 2005, 11:24
From today's Cape Times:

Cargo plane crash in Uganda kills six Russians

All six Russian crew members were killed when a cargo plane crashed after take-off at Entebbe Airport in Uganda on Saturday. The Antonov An-24 plane was a private charter carrying two vehicles.

soups
10th Jan 2005, 15:33
i believe there are more russians planes crashing in the southern african region than anywhere else in the world.. especially in angola

Bleedvalve
10th Jan 2005, 18:29
I came back yesterday from Africa. Saw an article from Uganda press. Plane was an An-12. If I can remember correctly registration was 9Q-CIH. Had a technical problem coming in to Entebbe. Their Indian boss told them to fly to Kinshasa where the repaires would be carried out.

They had an engine fire after t/o. Reported turning back but never made it, 12 min after t/o they crashed.

According to sources they where overloaded (nothing new) by about 2 tons.

Wonder when authorities are going to do something to these people overloading their planes. Sounds like crew was forced to do the flight to Kinshasa.

RIP.

Level Change 340kt
4th Sep 2005, 22:21
Flight International has an article on an Antonov An-12B (PQ-CIH) aircraft which took off from runway 35 in Entebbe Uganda after a 3000m ground run. The crew reported 2 minutes after becoming airborne that one of the starboard engines had failed. The aircraft could not maintain height and crashed about 10km from the airport. "Service Air" is Ugandan, but the aircraft was registered in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The Ugandan authorities say the airline had no air operator's certificate, no maintenance records, the aircraft was uninsured, there were no records of crew qualification or training and the aircraft was loaded 6.5 tonnes above its MTOW!!

The government has now ordered checks on all foreign-registered aircraft. Inattention to detail and the lack of a safety culture in Ugandan aviation are reported as contributory causes of the accident.

tobzalp
4th Sep 2005, 23:23
Perhaps you wanted Africa not Aussie/NZ forums. Either way it is a rediculous accident.

Herc Jerk
5th Sep 2005, 01:30
We can safely assume you've never been to Africa.

SAS check
5th Sep 2005, 04:40
Would you want to work there if this crap goes on!!

Level Change 340kt
5th Sep 2005, 05:00
Well I was updating with them on Staffcv!!!:O

TheShadow
5th Sep 2005, 09:06
What date did this incident happen?

TS

Level Change 340kt
5th Sep 2005, 09:57
It gives the date as the 8th January, but dosen't give the year. Apparrently the accident data comes from Flight International's own research and sister online publication Air Transport Intelligence and from AvSoft/AON daily occurrence information.

readywhenreaching
7th Sep 2005, 09:27
registration actually was 9Q-CIH (congolese) and date was 08.01.2005

asn:--> http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20050108-0

B Sousa
7th Sep 2005, 10:53
The Ugandan authorities say the airline had no air operator's certificate, no maintenance records, the aircraft was uninsured, there were no records of crew qualification or training and the aircraft was loaded 6.5 tonnes above its MTOW!!

OK, No surprise there, look in your own backyard at the Cape Huey(s)
I forgot SACAA is working on it......

Bart O'Lynn
7th Sep 2005, 11:09
The only newsworthy item is that it crashed. The contributory factors are considered industry norm in those fair lands. Pity the poor tourists.

captain cumulonimbus
7th Sep 2005, 21:13
i though 9q-cih went in a good few months back...old news?:confused: