PDA

View Full Version : Spraying in a R22 Or 44

Helibloke
10th Jan 2005, 03:59
I have recently become aware of the need to spray small areas (<50 Ha) around where we currently work. We are not an AG Company, However all the ticks are in the right boxes and it would only be a case of getting current and hoping to pick up the work.
Due to the small areas I have sort of ruled out a B47 due to the fact they are getting older and harder to pick up parts for and they seem to be more maintainence heavy again due to age.
Has anyone out there used a R22 for this type of work and what were the results like? Does it work out more economical in the long run or are you better off using a 44 and having the flexibility to re-task it. There are some cheap 22's around and the helipod spray gear seems very cheap to buy.

I would be interested to hear of your experiences spraying in the 22 or the 44

Cheers

Bloke

belly tank
10th Jan 2005, 04:45
Heli Bloke,

Cant help you witht the question as ive no time spraying, but a aquaintance i once worked with on a job used to spray down south in Victoria using R22's he got out of it i think due to insurance reasons involved with spray ops. i can give you his contact details if you want to get in touch with him. Just PM me

tolipZO
10th Jan 2005, 04:53
Biggest problem he had was overspray, neighbours cant call there crops orgasmic if you spray one drop of lethal :* ooopppps helfull plant chemicals on it. Its impossible not to have overspray.

Good luck.

Also his aircraft inside used to be sticky with chemicals used to make you sick just looking inside so dont see you using it for charter after that job.:yuk:

boomerangben
10th Jan 2005, 09:13
I do know that there were a couple of R22s in the UK register that were kitted out for spraying ops. I'm afraid I don't know anymore other than that it has been done.

PENNINE BOY
10th Jan 2005, 17:03
Was up in Oban earlier in the year. There was a R22 Spraying the bracken in the area. Had a chat with the guy an Aussie who said they were up for the summer.

I believe the contract was via a company in York. Worth giving Paul a ring at the Airfield in Oban im sure he could fix you up with the number.

rotorfloat
11th Jan 2005, 00:57
I was told that the overhaul interval of 22's and 44's are shorter if they are used in a spray application; all up weight, lots of cycles. Not sure if true or not.

nmai123456789
11th Jan 2005, 07:31
just so u no that with the r22 robenson are stopin makein them this summer and insurance is set to nearly double when it happens. they are also ment to gradualy stop making parts too. cnt help with your first problem

Helibloke
11th Jan 2005, 08:37
Thanks for the replies, Interesting that they are using a 22 in Scotland spraying gorse. That is the type of work I am looking at, weed infestation in small areas. I wonder what the UK ag market is like?

As for them stopping the maufacture of the R22 this summer I will believe that when I see it.
Again thanks for the replies

3top
12th Jan 2005, 20:39
Had the privilege to fly one for a season.
Best fun I ever had!!
HOWEVER:
a) only 40 gal of chemicals, at 10 gal/ha you do a lot of stops and ferries

b) You better get some training how to auto this baby if the engine quits at 65 kts at 3 feet.

Flew a Bell-47-Soloy in the morning and sometimes the R-22 in the afternoon!

New news to me that the R-22 is going to run out, but I believe Robinson will have to support it for quite a while longer. So if you say your areas are 50 ha or smaller and tight, I would go for the R-22, you can get in any nook in a field!

Get enough parts and watch the mixture for the chem-pump. It is a small 2-stroke and if you feed straight gas it dies in a hurry!

I don't know if they still use a 2-stroke or 4-stroke now.

Ihad fun with it some 10 years ago!

FWIW,

3top :cool:

Steve76
12th Jan 2005, 23:06
Helibloke,

Hi brus, there are loads of R22 and R44 spraying here in NZ. I have a phone # for access to NZ certified spray gear for both models.

PM me if you want the number of the guy or someone to chat too about operating issues.

Steve

ppheli
14th Jan 2005, 04:44
The company who use an R22 for spraying in Scotland are MFH Helicopters http://www.mfhhelicopters.co.uk

13snoopy
14th Jan 2005, 06:11
Sir,
With all due respect, pay ZERO attention to the poster, who a few posts before this one that stated that R22's are not going to be made anymore after this summer/year. That is a total lie. I am amazed at how on these somewhat anonymous forums folks will tell total lies and mislead others into believing them.
Robinson Helicopter has NO PLANS to stop making R22's in the near to distant future.
Regards,
Mark