PDA

View Full Version : books

lmlanphere
26th Dec 2000, 05:53
if any of you 200 hour pilots with a lot of time on your hands are looking for a good read, I'd recommend Shawn Coyle's "The Art and Science of Flying Helicopters". Just got it for X-mas and it has good stuff I haven't seen before. good basic stuff too.

212man
26th Dec 2000, 15:10
I'd second that; I've had my copy for 3 years and still regularly refer to it. He said he was going to write a 'sequal' bu I haven't seen it yet. He certainly found a gap in the market though.

------------------
Another day in paradise

SPS
26th Dec 2000, 15:39
Always interested in another book....
Any idea where it originates so I can track a copy down?

PurplePitot
26th Dec 2000, 19:02
Don't worry about any of that flying stuff - Buy 'Chickenhawk' it's almost required reading...........

212man
26th Dec 2000, 19:55
Yep, that's true too. The other book can be found via the Transair (transair.co.uk) or Sporties (spelling?) sites. Price about £30.

------------------
Another day in paradise

The Nr Fairy
26th Dec 2000, 21:31
The Art and Science of Flying Helicopters, Shawn Coyle, published by Iowa State University Press, ISBN 0-8138-2169-X

------------------
I got bored with "WhoNeedsRunways"

whatsarunway
26th Dec 2000, 22:46
yes an excellent book , you dont even need 200 hours , i got norman baileys book when i started training and found it to bee too in complicated but the art and science is an excellent book , highly reccomended.

SPS
27th Dec 2000, 14:42
Done 'Chickenhawk', and several others !

Thanks for the info.

SPS
27th Dec 2000, 14:48
.......and nearly done the 200 Hrs

(this month, but Xmas got in the way!)

discobeast
21st Jul 2002, 22:54
what good helo books are out there and what makes them so good? I think almost everybody read chickenhawk. Bob mason is an extraordinary guy. Even had the time to return my email I send him. I just read Centaur Flights by Richard Spalding. also good reading.

Any other good books you know about?

blave
22nd Jul 2002, 04:23
One of my favorites is "Low Level Hell" by Hugh Mills - the story of a Loach pilot in Vietnam. Great stuff - including the story of his bud (Willis?) that crashed three OH-6s in a single day, during a particularly nasty firefight.

There are others; I sorta collect these type of books... I have another one called "Apache Sunrise" which is similar to Centaur Flights... And my next helo book purchase will probably be "Tales of a Helicopter Pilot", which is a reasonably recent book.

Dave Blevins
San Jose, CA

Buitenzorg
22nd Jul 2002, 21:36
Two books I highly recommend are:

“CW2” by Layne Heath;
“Maverick” by Dennis Marvicsin

Both have been written very well indeed, in other words the writers are great storytellers besides having great stories to tell. Some other books that haven’t been mentioned yet:

“Let a Soldier Die” by William Holland;
“Firebirds” by Chuck Carlock;
“The Price of Exit” by Tom Marshall.

Does anyone know of any good books about other helicopter operations besides Viet Nam? Some of the stories I’ve heard about deer recovery in New Zealand for instance fall firmly in the “you gotta be sh****ng me” category; but they’ve all been confirmed by several sources.

The Claw
23rd Jul 2002, 06:45
Two good books are;

Chopper Pilot - Monster Wilkins
The Chopper Boys - Al J Venter

discobeast
23rd Jul 2002, 22:35
i found that there are some amazing short stories @ the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association website.

it's well worth going there and having a look.