PDA

View Full Version : Bag Tag Numbers & Missing Luggage

scruffer
9th Jan 2005, 14:26
On Friday I arrived at MAN but one of my bags didn't. The bag tag number for the missing bag (as stuck to my ticket stub) was EK123456 (not the real number). The missing luggage process has since tried to deliver a bag that isn't mine to my house - strangely it also has the bag tag number EK123456.....

How can it be that 2 non-related PAX on the same flights (EK & BMI) have the same number for different bags? Am I thick or is there a security issue here?

KiloMIke
9th Jan 2005, 14:35
Thats not supposed to be able to happen!

Is the flight number on the bagtag the same as yours??

scruffer
9th Jan 2005, 14:41
Yes - the flight numbers are the same. I checked in 2 bags and they have consecutive numbers (EK123455 and EK123456). Bag number EK123455 arrived on the luggage belt at MAN, but EK123456 didn't show up. MAN has twice now delivered the 'missing' bag EK123456 but the bag they keep delivering isn't mine (it's red - mine is black and bigger!). But the red bag has got a secure Emirates sticker round the handle (as put on at check in) which hasn't been tampered with and which bears the number EK123456.

This explains why MAN keep thinking its mine, but it obviously isn't. And I've got the receipt for the missing bag as provided to me at check-in which is EK123456.

Odd one this one - but dangerous if bags with the same number have to be off-loaded or otherwise tracked.

bealine
9th Jan 2005, 15:35
The "Departures Control System" will not allow the same tag number to be printed twice (until the numbers have been round the clock!)

The only explanation I can think of is human error - the Emirates check in agent tagging someone else's bag with your tag, and your bag with someone else's tag. This does happen, but it's about a one in ten million chance! It is a breach of security, but wouldn't cause any concern as long as the other passenger actually travelled on the aircraft. (It could have had major implications if he/she hadn't travelled because the wrong bag would have been offloaded and, if he/she was a member of the pyjama clad gang, a primed and ticking item could have been left on board!)

Usually, the other person will realise they've got the wrong bag (or they have left it at the airport) and you will be reunited with it after a few days (once your description of the missing bag is matched with a baggage discrepancy). If not, you will then have be recompensed.

Capt Wannabe
9th Jan 2005, 22:48
bealine wrote :
The "Departures Control System" will not allow the same tag number to be printed twice (until the numbers have been round the clock!)

Depending on the DCS system in use, the following is more correct :
The "Departures Control System" should not allow the same tag number to be printed twice (until the numbers have been round the clock!)

With some systems, it is quite possible to reprint a bagtag either by mistake or on purpose. Either that, or it is human error as you say.

CargoOne
10th Jan 2005, 13:36
I remember at least one DCS where it is possible to re-print baggage tag with the same number for a certain purposes, however it is hardly can be done by mistake, because it requires some non-routine hand input into system and possibly even a certain level of access which is not normally available to check-in counter desk (excl senior check-in staff and supervisiors).

Capt Wannabe
11th Jan 2005, 17:25
On one particular system, after a change of bag-tag roll in the printer, it will re-print the last tag. For in-experienced staff this can lead to serious problems.

DUBXH
12th Jan 2005, 17:16
I experienced this myself too Capt Wannabe... Most likely on the same system however mine was a Transatlantic carrier :eek:

apaddyinuk
13th Jan 2005, 22:18
I have actually seen it happen once before when i used to work in Baggage Tracing for EI in DUB. Only one tag came in as EI123456 and the other was XH123456...XH is usually used on tags issued by handeling agents and other non-airline agencies and several tags with the same xh number can regularly be found on the World Tracer system at anyone time.
As it transpired the agent despatching the bag accidently sent the EI tagged bag to the XH customer and vice versa, easy mistake to make and it was quickly rectified thanks to a quick thinking baggage delivery driver!!!

GlueBall
15th Jan 2005, 02:46
You've heard of the rings around Saturn?...They're made up of all the world's lost luggage. :)

KiloMIke
15th Jan 2005, 08:39
Just wondered if your bag had turned up yet.

Did you put your contact details inside the bag?

MarkD
15th Jan 2005, 15:40
Well, BA took 10 days to find our bag (which for once I didn't put a secondary label on as I normally would and the Aer Lingus label at SNN seems to have come off) but they DID find it! Well done BA in my book.

I am ashamed to say I saw a bag at YYZ with A4-size contact details sellotaped on and thought it looked a bit geeky. Fifteen minutes later I thought it was a bloody good idea!

scruffer
16th Jan 2005, 08:04
Thanx for all the views and thoughts.... my bag has now turned up having been tracked to me by my own Emirates Skywards tag that I put round the handle. Since my bag has been delivered without any bag-tag at all, I can only assume that check in have put the wrong tag onto the wrong bag.

nervous flyer
8th Feb 2005, 12:34
after watching mis ID bags being brought back many times, the best thing i've seen on a case as a distinguishing mark is a note taped to both sides saying "Not yours!"