PDA

View Full Version : Accra

igb56
9th Jan 2005, 14:06
Noticed on BBC2 Teletext flight arrivals that there`s quite a few flights now (into LGW) from ACCRA by BY, MON and FJE. Why so many flights at this time from Accra of all places...and by these three particular airlines? Thanks from an anorak.

TightSlot
9th Jan 2005, 14:24
Having been called out to spend xmas in Accra I'll try and help.

I believe that Ghana airways is presently not operating - I'm not sure why but believe there were financial issues. Therefore there is a market share up for grabs. I don't imagine that we (BY) folk will get much of a slice of the business travel market on this route, but the loads are healthy on VFR travel: I imagine this will continue nicely for a while, until one of the majors muscles in, and forces us out and elsewhere.

Although I would have preferred to be at home given the choice, I rather enjoyed ACC. The people there, and passengers out and back were very pleasant, and pleased we were operating - nice change.

KiloMIke
9th Jan 2005, 14:37
I believe Monarch were doing the route before the collapse of Ghana Airways. There is quite alot of regular traffic on the route as alot of the passengers are actually traders.

Engineer
9th Jan 2005, 21:50
GH collapsed (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=139289&highlight=ghana+airways) last year so the lucrative Xmas travel was up for grabs.