PDA

View Full Version : IFR taxi Reports

maxgrad
9th Jan 2005, 04:12
This is another one along the same lines as the level change calls.
Out of JEPS ATC-AU930

(controlled) (a/c type)[POB] received[ATIS][SQUAWK ----][A/c loc] IFR to [dest]request Taxi.

seems a bit long winded and contains info not really req for a taxi call

e.g SQUAWK ----, why have this when the readback would be confirmed on Clearance Delivery.

Comments?
why change when previous worked well?
Don't hear many who use the new form

tobzalp
9th Jan 2005, 05:28
Perhaps related to Pre Departure Clearances? I dunno really. PDC acft used to just call up ACD and state their code. Has this now changed?

Howard Hughes
9th Jan 2005, 06:06
POB not required if RPT?

SQUAWK for aircraft receiving clearance via PDC?

Most ground controllers I have spoken with prefer to have your location said as early on in the request as possible.

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

mr hanky
9th Jan 2005, 08:55
PDC acft used to just call up ACD and state their code. Has this now changed?

Depends where you are.

BN: call ACD and state code.
ML: state code with taxi call.
SY: call ACD and read back most of the PDC.

Why there have to be so many ways to achieve something so simple is a bit beyond my meagre intellect.

Jungmeister
9th Jan 2005, 09:52
As Mr hanky says, different airports in Australia have different published requirements for SSR code readback. It should be standardised. The differences have probably come about because of incidents in the past involving incorrect activation of FPL when two different routes are possible.

I have not seen JEPS in the operational ATC environment for a long time. ATC use AIP.

AIP GEN 5.13.4 says something very similar. The curved brackets are compulsory information. The square brackets are not.

Judging by the number of SSR code errors seen on a daily basis I would not be surprised if a confirmation of the SSR code for all flights (not just PDC flights) becomes standard procedure, but it has not happened as yet. Many crews readback their code correctly to clearance delivery, but taxi and get airborne with the wrong code set. This causes the FPL not to couple and an event report to be submitted. These pilot procedures cause ATC problems and have the potential to activate the wrong FPL. Usually the code set is the one for the previous leg.

The POB is a last minute update advice for quick reference in case of a problem in the flight (although the PLN should contain the information too)

AC Type is often wrong because pilots don't always notify ATS when changes are made.

tobzalp
9th Jan 2005, 10:36
AC Type is often wrong because pilots don't always notify ATS when changes are made.

Especially with Dash 8 aircraft. When what was an A series becomes a B with rego change only that 20 odd knots can spoil your day with what you expect.