PDA

View Full Version : Rostering/Scheduling agreements

stressful
6th Jan 2005, 17:52
Just a questions. Does any airline out their have a rostering/scheduling for their crew. If so does it apply to both pilots and cabin crew?? If not what are the differences between them both.

Thanks

Big Tudor
7th Jan 2005, 09:46
You'll find that most (if not all) of the bigger carriers have scheduling agreements for both flight deck and cabin crew. The agreements differ in most cases to reflect the difference in the jobs, or in some cases to reflect what the union reps consider important to their members. Most agreements I've seen are centred around increased protection for days off (later start times and earlier finish times), increased number of days off and further limits around early starts, late finishes and deep nights.

You'll also find that most crew believe they are being 'forced' to work outside of their scheduling agreements.

Dash-7 lover
15th Jan 2005, 11:58
We have rostering and scheduling agreements for both pilots and cabin crew which are seperate to each other. They're aren't legally binding so could be disposed of overnight if the company saw fit......and I wish they would. Im waiting for the next rule to come into force that will mean certain crew will be unable to fly due to .....THE WIND BLOWING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION.....or something equally rediculous........

Big Tudor
15th Jan 2005, 19:32
Are you sure they aren't legally binding? If they form part of the terms and conditions for the crew then they are a legal contract between the company and the employee, enforcable in a court of law! Since a scheduling agreement also requires approval from the CAA it is also enforcable through them, and they are also within their rights to audit rosters based on the scheduling agreement as well as CAP371. If a crew has operated outside of the agreement (but within CAP371) without their approval it would be deemed a non-conformity. I must confess though I have never heard of the CAA auditing scheduling agreements, but that doesn't mean they won't! :ooh:

Dash-7 lover
1st Feb 2005, 18:40
BIG TUDOR,

Scheduling Agreements are 'company specific' and are usually forced into place by employees when companies flaunt CAP371. CAP371 is a 'guide' to the avoidance of fatigue in aircrew and like most official docs, it could be open to misinterpretation........ There will be smaller airlines that work with CAP371 alone and that would be sufficient. It wouldn't surprise me that agreements would have to be cleared through the CAA as a precautionary measure.

Banzai Eagle
2nd Feb 2005, 11:31
Dash and Big T

Normally a scheduling agreement sits outside CAP371 and would therefore not need to be seen by the CAA. An example would be CAP371 says you can start at 0600LT but the scheduling agreement has a 0800LT start or after.
A Company may have a variation that is approved by the CAA say consecutive 4 nights instead of 3 as per CAP371 but in this case
both would sit in the Company FTL in Part A and the Scheduling agreement.
The CAA when auditing only look at the Company FTL scheme not the scheduling agreement.