PDA

View Full Version : Outlook multiple profiles

gawain
6th Jan 2005, 16:07
Help save me! If I can't get this working then my wife may return her xmas pressie!

I'm running windows pro 2000 and outlook 2002 with activesync 3.7

To be able keep seperate diaries I've created 2 profiles on outlook as my wife got a pda like mine from santa. Once both pdas have been sync'd to their respective profiles outlook will no longer offer any way of changing profiles and if the original pda is linked then it tries to sync it to the wrong profile!

I do not want my wife's appointments and she wouldnt be too keen on my series of earlies so any help would be appreciated.

There must be someone else out there who runs 2 pdas with a single desktop, any tips?

thanks

edited to protect santa's identity

Coconutty
6th Jan 2005, 17:48
Not sure if this will help but ...

It's probably something to do with both PDA's having the same "name" -

When you open Active Sync it will show the name of the device that is connected - something like "Pocket_PC" right underneath the top row of buttons.

If both PDA's are identically named then this could explain the problem.

Try deleting one of the connections ( known as "partnerships" ):

1. Disconnect the device then
2. On the File menu, click Mobile Device.
3. Select the device with the partnership you want to delete.
4. On the File menu, click Delete Partnership.

Then set it up again by going through the "Get Connected" wizard and try renaming it as Pocket_PC2 or some other name that is different from the first PDA.

Good luck :ok:

SoftTop
6th Jan 2005, 19:39
This is likely to be even less help :E

I've used XP Pro for a couple of years now (at least it seems like it) and it allows you to create separate logon IDs for as many users as you need. That way I have the ability to run independant instances of outlook for each user and neither XP nor Outlook seem to complain about any licence issues even when two or more users are logged on at the same time (but only one active user, obviously). I keep my diary, along with an iPaq via Active Sync, as a discrete entity. It doesn't affect anyone else's Outlook data nor do they affect my iPaq.

This is because of the way that each logon has it's own user profile and directory structure. Don't know too much about Win2k but if you can create separate user login IDs that might be a solution.

Over to the experts .....

Good luck

ST

gawain
7th Jan 2005, 15:35
Thanks for the contributions coconutty and soft top.

The PDAs already have seperate identities so thats not the problem......

I had considered seperate logons but felt that this way was a better route as I wanted to just leave the pc on for anyone in the family to use (the kids are too young for logons!) and I hoped that the next step of viewing and making appointments in both/each others calendars would be easier this way.

I've installed active sync 3.7.1 now but the problem seems to be still there, but after several attempts (rebooting solves the problem) I have narrowed it down to whether or not outlook is opened whilst the PDA is connected. Then once the PDA connection is severed and outlook closed (or is it?) re-launching outlook opens only the one profile.

gas path
7th Jan 2005, 18:06
gawain
You could try asking the same question over athttp://www.pdastreet.com/forums/
Also JFI activesync 3.8 has just been released. link HERE (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d2645c21-8a85-45a2-8d13-653beb6cdddc&DisplayLang=en)