PDA

View Full Version : Summer Work

6th Jan 2005, 13:45
hi all,

I'm pretty sure I saw a thread a while back which answered my question but after quite a bit of searching I still cant find it!

I'm at uni at the moment and will be 19 during the summer. I have about 3 and a bit years worth of customer contact work which I have been doing part time along side my studies. My aim is to end up flying after uni, so I thought that it would be a good idea to try and see if there is ANY work I could do during the summer months to get some experience.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any company who would have summer jobs suitable for someone with about 3 months off over the summer months - anything at all!

Thanks, 101

PS Sorry if this has been done before...

TJ747
6th Jan 2005, 16:36
Hi there,

Try contacting servisair... they quite often take on temps purely for check in only during the summer...3mths would prob be ok too.

Give them a call, i know its only check in but it where i started and to be honest... prob wouldnt be where i am now without it.... its alot more complex than some people think.

hope it helps

cheers

TJ747

MissManchester
10th Jan 2005, 16:39
hey,

Definatly contact servisair! I work at manchester airport on check in for servisair. I got this job after 3 years at uni, although my ambition is to be an air traffic controller this job i feel has really helped. Its givin me a greater insight to how the aviation industry works and at the end of the day working in an airport, in any job, is all experience!!

Good luck...and if your wanting to work at MAN i might see you there! Let me know how you get on.

Miss Manchester :)

witchdoctor
11th Jan 2005, 11:12
Forget check in - dispatch is the job you want if you wish to head for the flight deck. In this role, you spend a great deal of time with the aircraft and crews, instead of grumpy passengers. It's a good way to get a feel for how the airline operates at the sharp end, and more importantly, you can make some very useful contacts with plenty of good advice to offer. Only once you are finally out there with your licence will you appreciate just how valuable these contacts will be.

Don't know what the situation at MAN is like, but it shouldn't be too hard to get a vacancy, even for the summer.

17th Jan 2005, 15:20
Hey all,
Thanks for the replies. Ideally I would like to work at Heathrow though Gatwick would also be fine. I have emailed Servisair and am waiting for a response. I tried Aviance but they have little info on their webpage and when I tried to fill out the form on their site it wouldnt send!

Are there any other companies which would have summer work going? Does anyone know the email address to get Aviance? Is it likely that I would be able to work as a dispatcher as I will only be 19 or is check in more likely?

Appreciate your help,

UPSAirOps
17th Jan 2005, 16:04
Working through dispatch is possible at the age of 19. My friend, who was 19 at the time, started working for Servisair as a "Passenger Services Agent" - which I think is basically check-in. As soon as he got the job he enquired if there were any positions available in dispatch. After completing his PAX services training they moved him straight into dispatch.

All from a Summer placement and he still works the odd weekend there now. Although this was at EMA, so I don't know if it'd be possible at a bigger airport. Always worth asking the question though.

21st Jan 2005, 16:11
From what I've been reading, it seems like Servisair will be recruiting for the summer pretty soon now. Where do they advertise their vacancies? Their website isn't that easy to navigate!