Albert Schuitmaker, executive director of the Western Cape
Regional Chamber of Commerce said on Wednesday that he
forecasted that SAA's decision to stop its direct flights between
Cape Town and the US and increase its flights to Frankfurt and
Paris could see the company causing itself harm in its tourist and
corporate business industry. The only airline flying directly to the
US from South Africa is SAA. All flights destined for the US
from South Africa leave are from SAA.

I wonder if the problem with the airbus's range as compared with the 747 had anything to do with it?

Any comments?
:ok:

B Sousa
6th Jan 2005, 15:05
Really too bad, but I think lots of folks are moving away from SAA anyway. I do remember times when the flights were full.
Most U.S. folks who have vacations dont come to SA because of the length of time to get there and back limits their usual 2-3 weeks vacation. SAA was a great way to save some time..... But, alas, service is starting to suck along with missing bags etc so the word does get around.
Im betting that the heavy drivers can add as to the difference between the AirBus and the 747 as Im sure there is some .

Solid Rust Twotter
6th Jan 2005, 16:52
Wasn't the 340's range touted as a selling point by Spoories? Something to do with smaller engines sipping fuel and increasing range as a result....:E

Jacobest
6th Jan 2005, 18:57
Hey Rusty!
Apparantly they sipped a bit more fuel than previously thought. But that is hearsay I heard so I cannot confirm.
By the way, check your private messages
:ok:

TooBadSoSad
7th Jan 2005, 05:52
This has nothing to do with fuel burn. The routing via West Africa is a revenue management decision. In fact, the B744 will be operating the Washington Dulles routes from about April, and even that route will be via Accra both ways. However, with Continental Airlines starting direct New York - Lagos flights, SAA may have to consider B747-400ERs or A340-500's for non-stop both ways.

APR
7th Jan 2005, 14:32
I saw in the newspaper that Continental will be flying to Nigeria soon. I hope they have heat resistant gloves, cause they're gonna burn 'em fingers!

SAA201
8th Jan 2005, 14:00
Interesting decision to use B747-400's to Washington. I assume its due to that fact that the airline bosses have decided they need First Class on that route (The A340's are configured with J and Y class only).

With the current fleet of 8 B744's and the current B744 schedules (to London and Lagos) , it will only be possible to do the JNB-Washington route about 3 times per week with B744's, unless an aircraft is taken off an existing route.