PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy and flying

AeroSpark
5th Jan 2005, 16:26
Hello,
A child that attends the nursery my wife works at has not returned from the Christmas break. We believe they may have returned home to Sri Lanka for the holiday, however we know that the childs mother was about 32 weeks pregnant. We would like to know if she would have been allowed to fly being that far gone.
Thanks for any replies.

ramsrc
6th Jan 2005, 05:37
It could be that she would have been refused flight if she didn't have a letter from her Doctor.

Alternatively of course, the Mother could have had the baby while in Sri Lanka!

From the BA website:

British Airways is happy to accept pregnant ladies on our flights.
In order to ensure the health and well-being of both the mother and the baby, the following policy is in place:

For uncomplicated single pregnancies, we restrict travel beyond the end of the 36th week, and for twins, triplets etc., beyond the end of the 32nd week. After your pregnancy has entered its' 28th week, we ask that you carry with you a letter from your doctor, stating the pregnancy is uncomplicated and confirming the expected date of delivery. In this letter, your doctor should state that you are in good health, that they are happy for you to fly, and that (in their opinion) there is no reason why you cannot fly.

Seatbelt extensions are carried on all British Airways flights for use, if required, by pregnant passengers.

northwing
7th Jan 2005, 20:29
My wife once flew much more pregnant than that, albeit only to Spain. If you don't make a big thing of it and stand in front of the bump the check-in staff aren't going to make too many enquiries.

Let's all hope you wife's pupil is OK.

bonbon_cannelle
8th Jan 2005, 22:20
with Air France it's the same, you need a doctor advice when you are 9th months of pregnancy:

"Be sure to ask for medical advice if you are pregnant (If you are in your ninth month of pregnancy, you must obtain medical approval from Air France_ask our reservations service for additional information)."
www.airfrance.us (http://www.airfrance.us )

fly babe
9th Jan 2005, 11:39
northwing, I'm afraid that is completely the wrong attitude! Im cabin crew myself and 2 weeks ago a very heavily pregnant woman boarded without being challenged by check-in or gate staff. She was 32 weeks pregnant and didn't have a Dr's note. We are simply not insured to carry women in her condition without medical approval - so, embarassingly for her, the pax around her and myself, I had to offload her. She had obviously done what you recommend - hide her bump. God forbid if we had not noticed her advanced pregnancy and she had had medical 'problems' at 30,0000 ft, who do you think would have had to deal with her? Some common sense please, people.

PAXboy
9th Jan 2005, 13:52
A new thread in R&N states that a baby was born over the Indian Ocean this week. Not clever and who will pay for the diversion? Other ticket holders!

As a non-parent, I do find it curious that prospective parents will endanger the lives of their (hoped for) future child, as well as their own. We need some education here somewhere.