PDA

View Full Version : Shielding from radar signals.

noisy
5th Jan 2005, 11:22
Does anyone have any practical suggestions for shielding electronic equipment from the emmissions of a powerful radar?
The radar in question is operating at something like 2-4 GHz (7-15cm) and the equipment is somewhere in the region of 30m from the radar antenna.
Would a sheet of aluminium do the trick? lead maybe?
This is for a temporary solution. Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

N

gulf clubber
21st Jan 2005, 15:58
Hmmmm! Depends exactly what you are trying to achieve.

I am making the assumption that the equipment you are trying to shield is ground equipment and not part of an airborne avionics installation.

Obviously by far the best solution is full faraday cage type environment, this would require a total housing and good earth bonding .

Simply placing a metal sheet or similar in the direct path of the radar signal will not eliminate the interference, as signals at these frequencies reflect and refract easily, and will still interfere at this distance via multiple indirect paths.

There are commercially available RF screening hoods for testing military nose radars, which are designed to block external radiation. They contain a foam material which is carbon/graphite impregnated. This might be worth exploring if a simpler wrap around fix was needed.

If I recall correctly "Chelton" might make such products.

Cheers

G Clubber

noisy
27th Jan 2005, 12:39
Thanks for your advice; The equipment was a camcorder, laptop pc and a satphone. I believe in the end simple tin foil was used to wrap up the camera (although of course the RF could still get in through the lens ). The pictures produced were of limited use.
Tell me more about the faraday cage - is it necessary to apply a voltage to it, or is it simply a means of grounding?

Thanks,

N