View Full Version : Changing careers

SierraMikeMike
5th Jan 2005, 06:47
Hi guys,

I hope i'm posting this in the right forum. To cut a long story short, i'm a 28 yo financial consultant residing in the UAE, i have finally made up my mind to stop living a few feet off the ground and do (or at least try to) what i want in this life, any hint to what is that? :P

Since i live in this region, i'd like to know what is the best track towards becomin an airline pilot here, not only getting an ATPL but actually securing a job...

I would really appreciate any help in that. I truly need it.

Thanx....

Foreign Worker
5th Jan 2005, 09:49
This has got to be a wind up, right?
You would have to have rocks in your head to be considering going down that track, SMM.

This "profession" (of airline flying) is on the highway to Hell.
But, if you're really convinced that that's the way you want to go, then spread your legs, bend over, and touch your toes.

You've been out in the sun too long, my boy.

Shake
5th Jan 2005, 11:10
SMM:

Just in case you are serious:

Get as much info as you can from either the GCAA or perhaps the Dubai Flying Club to see where you stand before you part with any money. The first thing I would recommend is a medical to ensure that you can hold a Class 1 which you will need to be a pilot.

Depending on the outcome of this and the advice from the GCAA/flying school I should imagine that you would have several options:

As a UAE national you could apply for a cadetship with Emirates. This would be difficult to obtain but definately worth a try. Other airlines offer limited sponsorships but these are rare and often the first victims of the accountants.

The other option is the expensive one of 'the self improver route'. You could train in the UAE or go abroad to the UK, US or Austrailia. Visas have become more difficult to obtain post 911 but are still issued. The US with the sliding dollar offers the best value and now offer approved JAR training in conjunction with UK schools like Cabair. A JAR licence would be recognised by the UAE and avoid more traning costs (check with GCAA). An approved JAR course would take under 2 years and probably 250 hours flying, including multi-engine for the instrument rating, but please check these requirements as they change.

Staying in the UAE, I would recommend the Fujairah Flying Club and worth a visit. They have a good set up with relatively new and well equipped aircraft (including aircon which is vital). The airport itself is not as busy as Dubai so you would spend more time in the air than on the ground. The only downside is the weather which is standard UAE milk for long periods during the year, for that the US and in particular Florida stands out (nb: hurricanes Sep/Oct/Nov, don't camp out in a trailer park)

Whatever you do do not part with any money upfront to any school whatever they say. Once you pay you are open to abuse and may find that other students get your instructor for the day leaving you hanging around longer than you had planned or budgeted for.

It is a long, expensive, but generally rewarding process and will need your total dedication with no guarentee of employment at the end of it...but if you want it enough you will succeed. Do it for the love of it and not the money, those days have passed.

SierraMikeMike
6th Jan 2005, 05:20
Hmm...I did know the airline pilot industry is getting....'not so romantic' anymore, but i didn't expect such response.

First, i'm a Lebanese residing in the UAE, not a national, If i were one, i would have really a few ways to go and most of them, if not all, would work. The reason i posted this thread is that i thought the 'self-improver' program is my best option, but i wasn't sure and i really needed the advice of real-life pilots.

As for cadetships, unfortunately my flag carrier has not recruited since 1993, and now when they did recruit (with all the openings soon to happen in their rosters due to the age of many of their pilots) all they did was ask for direct entry pilots, or maybe ab-initio. I can't remember coz i through away the paper the minute i read it. Now, i've heard rumours about reestablishing the cadetship program (first i heard in November and now in early Jan). But as a lebanese, i know very well how things go in my country and how 'difficult' (i can't stress enough on difficult) it will be for me to get it.

Thanks Shake for the reply, it sure will help. I had previously contacted Emirates Flying School and UAQ club, but now i'm gonna try also Fujairah Aviation Centre. However, what did you mean by not paying upfront, would they take me in if i don't pay some amount upfront :/

And NO foreign Worker, i haven't been in the sun too long. I was just born crazy about that **** :D Flying jets is what i wanna do. I know it sounds cheesy but ah well...

Wish me luck guys...

Shake
6th Jan 2005, 07:25
SMM:

Most schools will want some money up front as a deposit. Some offer what will seem at first a really good deal if you pay in advance for the whole course. The problem is that once they have your money they have less incentive to train you and prioritise others. The worst case scenario is that the school goes bankrupt while you are training and you are left with nothing. This has happened in the US and in the UK with Trent where even the instructors who had their sons at the school lost thousands.

You will inevitably have to pay some kind of deposit but usually around $400-$1000 to book your place on a course and for books/manuals etc. After that you should agree a payment schedual that ensures that each stage is completed before you pay for the next.

I am sorry to hear that it is so difficult to find sponsorship where you come from but it is not that easy anywhere else these days. It is a wonder any pilots are training at all at the moment as it is so expensive with the returns so poor. I fully understand though your passion to fly and at the end of the day that is the most important ingredient you will need to see the whole process through.

The holiday in Florida with a PPL is a good idea. Again, if you can do it with a JAR approved school the hours and training could count towards your ATPL should you decide it really is for you.

Good Luck. :ok:

SierraMikeMike
16th Jan 2005, 12:42
I'm gonna go for it...even if i failed, better say i tried then say what if.

I'll post my progress here whenever i'll get the time.

Thanx alot shake :)

nixisfix
16th Jan 2005, 16:34
Sierra...
if you can pass a first class medical there is no reason why you should not be one of the few who make a career in flying.
Just hang in there, eventually there will be a "lucky" break. Remember "Luck is when Opportunity meets Preparation".
On the other hand you might spend all your money to gain a licence which will not provide with any income but just fuel your desire. In other word, you will gamble a lot of money to fullfill your selfish dream, so good luck to you...