PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Pacific

nomorecatering
4th Jan 2005, 13:04
Word around the traps is that Virgin Pacific will be launched soon for a start around May / June. Aircraft to be A340 -500 or 600's x 8 to 12. Asia, Japan, USA.

Anyone know anything more/different

propaganda
4th Jan 2005, 20:29
Virgin Atlantic crews...?

MarkD
4th Jan 2005, 21:15
Where are the A345/6s going to come from?

Metro Boy
5th Jan 2005, 02:42
Most likely New Zealand crews.

PureRisk
5th Jan 2005, 03:18
It wont be crewed by the kiwi's...
Word around at this stage is that it will be jointly owned ,with 51% Oz owned (VB) the rest atlantic and singapore. Singapore still has the Vito rights on Virgin using the brand name on international stuff out of OZ (hence why the name PB on the NZ stuff), howver they are near ageement to releasing it for the Virgin pacific venture since they cant get direct rights themself to the US from Oz. (A problem they wont have with this as its 51% oz owned)

Aircraft will be the 340's, crew at this stage is rumoured to intinially be from Atlantic, but will turn over during growth. VB guys will get chance to bid over but will have to resign from VB. (This will be in writing this time in the May EBA to secure, unlike the NZ stuff which they took in good faith and got screwed over)

As I have said before, Qantas sharess and profits will be facing there first real test in many many years when this long politically protected monopoly is finally broken. interesting times....

Johhny Utah
5th Jan 2005, 03:47
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but 8-12 aircraft operating to multiple destinations is not going to break QF.
The use of the term monopoly to describe the route is also incorrect - both United Airlines and Air New Zealand operate over the same routes.

PureRisk
5th Jan 2005, 07:03
Arrrrr Johnny.....flag bearer of the indistructable Qantas.
(I remember when I was in europe BA had the same attitude when LCC first started.....mmmm but thats another topic)

Firstly I never said it would break qantas, however if you are slightly realistic you would know that around 1 third or so of the qantas international profits are made from this route. And if you want to be anal... (united and ANZ go there!..you said) yes you are correct this is not a definition monopoly, but I am quite sure you and everone else reading this knows that in general terms it is a monopoly in terms of the government which has blocked other airlines for so many years so that qantas is protected.
Something they will not be able to do to Virgin Pacific since it will be 51% Oz owned.
(but i think we both know that you knew what I meant).

I dont work for either so it really doesnt worry me as I have buisness interests with whoever has seats going there but as I am quite positive many people have heard over the years (ok maybe not you) many many business Pax ,travel to LA on Q from a lack of choice and availability. !!!! Yes johnny you are correct it wont break qantas but maybe you cant see like many others (including God im sure) a Singapore/Atlantic/Blue entity on the LA route will at the very least (as I already said) not help the qantas bottom line or the shares.....!!! fact or fiction? well time will tell......

Mr Nightmare
5th Jan 2005, 07:50
Well try not to loose to much sleep over it Pure Risk.

HGW
5th Jan 2005, 10:29
The minimum effect is that it makes the opposition do things better and GD will ensure things will change.
Are there enough Kiwis to crew something this size?

nomorecatering
5th Jan 2005, 10:47
It doesnt matter who owns it...behind the scenes, or who crews it initially. As long as there's more crew slots fr aussies ultimately......that will be good for everyone.

It will be interesting to see what Qantas and United do in the mean time. Will United make the 3rd daily flight they have running over the summer permanent, will United and Qantas increase their services in a premptive effort against the Virgin Empire.

Will be interesting times ahead.

MarkD
5th Jan 2005, 14:43
Wonder how UA and ANZ feel about their Star "partner" SQ participating in this venture, if such is the case?

Sunfish
5th Jan 2005, 17:43
Aaaaaah! Now I know why Packer is on the Qantas Board! The Government gets a bucket of s**t from the Packer press if anyone lays a finger on the Qantas monopoly.

HGW
6th Jan 2005, 07:10
I don't think SQ would have any concerns about what ANZ would think about involvement in VP especially after they cost SQ so much with the Ansett investment. Some would say it is payback time. UA are on their knees and any decent competition in service delivery would knock them over. As far as I can see, no problems.