PDA

View Full Version : Skydive Pilot Rating/Requirements

Q4NVS
4th Jan 2005, 09:48
Can anyone direct me to Legislation which governs this type of flying.

I.e. Is there an official rating required and are there different max flying hours per day allowed/or not?

4th Jan 2005, 13:49
Doubt it. Dropping meat bombs is considered Aerial Work in the UK, and is not governed by Flight Duty Periods under the CAA system.

Secondly - I don't know of any formal qualification for this kind of work - normally you get checked out by the senior man at the DZ.

That's pretty much how it works this end - imagine it would be fairly simliar where you are.

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Jan 2005, 17:07
Rumblings from PASA indicate a requirement for 10 dual loads with a qualified bloke. CAA has no regulation but if you want to drop on a PASA affiliated DZ you'll probably have to comply with the empire building.

Be interesting to see how it's done. Side by side in a C206 with a front door doesn't leave much room for air trash to crawl by...

Jacobest
4th Jan 2005, 18:22
Side by side in a C206 with a front door doesn't leave much room for air trash to crawl by...

Dont forget one of the pilots will be on the ground since the right chair gets taken out to fit one more meat bomb.

Can anyone direct me to Legislation which governs this type of flying.
ERJ135, I started my carreer as a skydive pilot.
The problem though is not so much the experience and legislation, but rather Insurance companies. If they want an astronaut with 1 billion hours flying a banner aircraft or skydivers, then THAT is what you will need to fly skydivers.
I was lucky, all they wanted was a comm license and a type rating.
So shop around. Go look at www.skydive.co.za or www.goskydive.co.za
Hope it helps:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Jan 2005, 19:42
Jaco

Yep, that's what I said..... tricky getting by the second bloke. If you read the entire post you'll notice that PASA now seems to require some dual. Wonder if they thought that one through.