PDA

View Full Version : problems logging into hotmail

767bill
3rd Jan 2005, 21:47
Wonder it anyone with IT knowledge can help.

Over the holiday I've had problems logging onto hotmail from my computer, as soon as I type in my password the egg timer goes up, progress is slow, and the last few days I have not been able to actually access my email. Password is correct and I have accessed and logged onto other secure sites including this and my yahoo account???

Any help appreciated.

boeingbus2002
3rd Jan 2005, 22:00
You're not the only one!
Had the same problem..its strange as when checking one account it worked fine, but then when trying another...it froze. Perhaps try and other times...access seems to vary.

BRL
3rd Jan 2005, 22:21
Try this.....If any of you are having trouble logging on to messenger and you get the error about a "bad sign in name and password reset your password blah blah blah" here's the solution: Exit Messenger, Click Start->Run-> and then type in: regsvr32 softpub.dll Click OK. That's it. Re-open messenger and log-in. This solution also applies to all those people that cannot access ANYTHING MSN (that is, you can't register for a new passport, access any websites etc). Hope it works for you too.

Devlin Carnet
4th Jan 2005, 19:10
Yup.. worked for me thanks mate :ok:

englishal
4th Jan 2005, 19:49
It doesn't by any chance end up as a blank white screen after you enter your login details does it?....and you're using XP?

If so, your XP user profile is corrupt. You would need to create a new user account, and copy everything from "Documents and Settings/old user/ " to "documents and settings/new user" except the "NTUSER.DAT" and "NTUSER.DAT.LOG" files................You would need to do the copy from a third user account with admin privileges....

767bill
4th Jan 2005, 22:13
Thanks for the replies.

BRL, I tried your tip, but without success unfortunately. The system I have is windows 95, old I know, but it copes and I have not had this kind of problem before. My hotmail account is fine as accessed it at work today with no problem so the mystery remains...

767bill

BRL
4th Jan 2005, 23:11
Hi Bill. Have a look at this forum, something may be in there.....Forums (http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/) Hope you find something. :)

Tosh McCaber
5th Jan 2005, 13:42
BRL,

Oops! I was having the same problems as 767bill logging on to Hotmail via this computer, which I'm temporarily using whilst my usual one is being serviced. Just tried your tip with the dll, and ended up with a blank screen, after typing in my user name and password! Win 2000. Any thoughts? Can you run through a solution?

BRL
5th Jan 2005, 23:34
Hi Tosh. The only reason that I can think of as to why you get a blank screen, is you are not using Internet Explorer. I often get this using Opera, some pages/web-sites won't display on Opera but work fine in IE. An example is ebay. It will let me go through the process of selling something until I get to the page where I have to upload the picture. On Opera, it will not load the page up but on IE it is all ok. Try logging in on different operating sytems or something, that is all I can suggest really. Hope it helps for you.

englishal
6th Jan 2005, 07:55
blank screen, after typing in my user name and password!
Try creating a new user account and login from that account. If all is ok, then your user profile is corrupt as above.

If you can login in "safe mode with networking" it points to the user account.

Other problems I've observed are with computers with Norton Internet Security, removed, but still a couple of processes running (proxy service). Normally though you will not be able to access any secure sites if this is the case.

Cheers

boeingbus2002
6th Jan 2005, 23:56
I have been getting the same problem and it is intermittent.
Sometimes I can log on to my account..read/send messages.. then when trying to send another message the white screen appears and its frozen. Sometimes I cant even log on to that account.

Hotmail do occasionally have gliches, perhaps its due to the new upgrade in services recently done.