PDA

View Full Version : Changing to a new pc

Maxflyer
3rd Jan 2005, 15:30
I have a new (second hand) pc that it better in spec than my old one. The old one has XP Pro on and I want to load it onto my new pc. Is there an easy way to get the XP info off the old machine and onto the new?

Happy New Year.

goates
3rd Jan 2005, 15:57
Can you connect the machines over a network? If you can, XP includes a Files and Settings Transfer Wizard that will copy over you settings and files. I think it can also work with CD burners, but is easiest to use through a network.

As for transferring WinXP itself to a new machine, you will have to talk to Microsoft as the new product activation may not allow that. Upgrading a machine doesn't seem to matter to them, but I have read stories about people who had trouble when trying to move XP to a new machine.

goates

ZH875
3rd Jan 2005, 16:18
Why not just put the old disk into the new machine, and boot from that one.

goates
3rd Jan 2005, 16:44
For transferring files and settings, moving the hard drive will work quite well too. It would be best to do a clean install though of WindowsXP to make sure there aren't any problems with ols drivers hanging around.

Here is Microsoft's page on product activation:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302878#4f

If I try to activate a Windows XP SP1 installation with a Product Key that has been used on another computer, I get an error message that prompts me to buy an additional Windows XP license. Is this new?

Yes. Beginning with Windows XP SP1, Microsoft is offering the ability for users in certain locations to purchase an additional Windows XP license for a second computer at a discount. If you remove Windows XP from the computer that it was first installed on, no additional license is required.

goates

englishal
3rd Jan 2005, 19:07
If you "upgrade" your computer and XP will no longer activate, you need to phone the microsoft product activation helpline. Windows generates a huge code which you either tell the operator, or type into your touch tone phone, then another huge number is read back, which you enter into Windows XP and hey presto it is now activated on the new or upgraded computer. Simple and painless operation.

Swapping the hard disk into a new computer probably won't work, especially if the MB chipsets are different....

Cheers