PDA

View Full Version : Photos on CVs?

speedy688
2nd Jan 2005, 12:34
Are they a good or bad idea? Comments welcome.

moku
2nd Jan 2005, 15:09
I never used to put mine on a CV, until I had it reviewed by a BA Capt who is one of those used for sim assessments at LHR he recommended that I put it there.. Needless to say my ugly mug now graces the top of my CV.

Moku

redsnail
2nd Jan 2005, 15:41
I only included a photo if the advert specifically asks for it or their form requests it.

Jinkster
2nd Jan 2005, 22:23
I only included a photo if the advert specifically asks for it or their form requests it.

A lovely face like yours Reddo, I'm sure i'd put it on ;)

witchdoctor
3rd Jan 2005, 17:28
Easy way to make your bland sheet of A4 stand out at first glance from 400 other equally bland sheets of A4.

Spread a load of different versions of your CV on a desk using different fonts, borders etc, and see which one stands out at a glance. You'll soon see what I mean.

I'll bet a year's wages they never get read beyond the first few lines by most recruiters (they just haven't got the time or patience to do it week in, week out), so make it one that stands the best chance of standing out in the crowd.

They're probably going to say no anyway, so what have you got to lose? ;)

Pilot Pete
3rd Jan 2005, 20:32
Perhaps them being put off by your ugly mug?;)

PP

jimi79
4th Jan 2005, 00:35
I am about to add my photo to my resume ( without the eppaulettes) and was wondering if anybody had an example of the format of their resume. Cheers!

Airbus Girl
4th Jan 2005, 08:22
Personally I don't see the advantage. If the person sifting the CVs doesn't like the look of you, you are not going any further.
So where is the benefit?
First impressions are made with 5 seconds?

Biscuit
4th Jan 2005, 08:41
A photo only seems necessary when applying for jobs where looks are a factor e.g Actor/Model. Would a recruiter not think it a bit strange seeing a photo on a pilot's CV? Anyone done this for real with good results?

If you're butt ugly it might get your CV binned first !!

Biscuit

Pilot Pete
4th Jan 2005, 09:31
As a very general rule, when asked I always advise against including a photo on an aviation CV. With the greatest respect in the world, we are not models (myself being the exception:) ) and are on the whole, ordinary 'looking' people. Unless you are particularly photogenic I fail to see how adding your mugshot is going to enhance your CV.

Enhancement is the key word here and applies to everything you add/ subtract from the basic required elements. Most people find it difficult to get their aviation CV onto one page of A4 and you find that they have included far too much detail, which is important to them, but not to the viewer. Try to be 'detached' from yourself when you read what you have put; see it through the eyes of an aviation recruiter with limited time and patience!

As with everything though, there is no hard and fast rule and it comes down to personal choice and more importantly personal preference of the viewer!!

PP

ChocksAwayUK
4th Jan 2005, 12:18
My psychology degree and life experience has taught be that it is natural to make positive assumptions about better looking people (more intelligent, amiable, sexual etc) so that would suggest that it may not be a bad idea if you are camera friendly.

(of course i'll be including a photo when the time comes ;) )

Sagey
4th Jan 2005, 21:53
Well if you insist on putting a photograph on your CV, make sure it is a passport style photograph and you are wearing a suit!.

When I was involved in sifting through CV's for a non aviation related role, it was amazing to see what photographs people were sticking on their CV!! (wearing sunglasses, pointing at the camera with a bottle of beer in your hand) does guarantee that you get binned (the CV without the photo would have made it through, it was a good CV!)

Sagey

Nearly Man
5th Jan 2005, 18:54
I was going to include a picture on my CV but ... How about if I enclose a picture of my arse? It's better looking than my face?

Pilot Pete
5th Jan 2005, 23:33
I believe 'Father Ted Airlines' request just such a photographic image................The hairier the better!

Good luck with it!

PP

Snigs
6th Jan 2005, 06:27
How about if I enclose a picture of my arse? It's better looking than my face?

And hairier than your head!! ;)