PDA

View Full Version : Continental Express Lowers to 650 hrs for hiring first officers

spartanpilot69
1st Jan 2005, 05:44
I found out from a co-worker that Continental Express lowered there requirements to 650 hrs for first officers. Can anyone confirm?

VFE
1st Jan 2005, 11:51
I'll let ya know in a coupla hours...

Such loving service eh?

VFE.

LAWN DART DRIVER
1st Jan 2005, 18:56
This info is true!
They should be hiring a 200+ in 2005.

Good luck

LDD

VFE
2nd Jan 2005, 23:13
Apologies for the delay.....

They are hiring with 500 total and 200 multi, or something like that. A mate who's an FO there thinks it's pretty scary because he knows that he was not fit to fly the jet he's on when he had 500 hours. However, he concedes that when you think that they are only a first officer and can't (by law) upgrade until they have more than twice that amount its not that bad. The fact they will be able to upgrade to captain in less than a year which means that they have not even seen all of the different weather throughout the year is a different matter. :)

Unusual for a US outfit to hire at such low hours, especially post 911. How much to convert JAR CPL/IR fATPL to FAA then?

VFE.

Puritan
3rd Jan 2005, 05:39
Just because the law says that somebody can hold an ATPL when they attain the magic 1500 hours ( plus all the caveats about the type of hours, e.g. night, PIC, etc ).... does not mean that they'll been given a command when they attain it.

Indeed I think you'll find that most airlines have a minimum hours requirement, laid down in their Operations Manual, that states the experience requirements for commanders, e.g. a minimum number of hours ( usually in the region of 3000 hours before they'll even consider you for the LHS ) and / or with a requirement for experience on the aircraft type and / or ones length of service with the company, etc, to say nothing about the need for a passing the recurrent simulator checks to a high standard and / or likewise the command assessment(s).

It's certainly good news if they're recruiting ( albeit a bit amazing for a US carrier to have such low entry requirements ).

LAWN DART DRIVER
3rd Jan 2005, 15:21
I know for a fact that there is no min. time for XJT to upgrade to capt. As long as one has the min requirements for an ATP, and your sen. # is up hello Capt.

The upgrade time a couple of years ago was somthing like 8 mo.
At the moment the upgrade time is about 4 -5 yrs.
The upgrade time will drop in the next year due to CAL taking 300+ catp. in early 2005.
Good news for those looking for their first airline gig.

LDD

Fair_Weather_Flyer
4th Jan 2005, 04:25
I heard from a reliable source that they have over 10,000 resumes on file, so don't hold your breath waiting for the call. I know someone who has recently been picked up by them. He has a mere 5000hrs and yes that's 5000 I'm afraid not 500. Just because they will enter your resume details into a spreadsheet doesn't mean they will hire you. Also I believe there is a 40% washout rate in training but that's another story.

Squawk7777
4th Jan 2005, 12:00
I interviewed with them and got turned down. My impression is that they know who they'll hire and who not before they see you.

I wasn't really impressed with the interview. It seems they like to take rather low time pilots then high timers (at least there's an advantage for you low-timers :) ). The wash-out rate is very low (about 2% last time I checked).

Make sure you read the gauge on aviationinterviews.com

Good luck!

7 7 7 7

papazulu
6th Jan 2005, 16:38
Hello!
Great to hear that, but I wonder how it really works...Maybe those minima need to be doubled! And this good news is for right-of-work-in-US holders only, I guess...

Ciao

PZ:{ :{ :{

LAWN DART DRIVER
6th Jan 2005, 21:41
They do like low-time people because thay know that you can't really go anywhere without PIC time. Therefore they really get the full use out of you before you go looking for other jobs. ( AKA: RENTED MULE)

mjc9967
8th Jan 2005, 20:01
....would I be correct in thinking that this is limited to those with the right to live and work in the US?

Fair_Weather_Flyer
11th Jan 2005, 04:01
Well, my room mate got the call today to go to an interview with them. He has 800hrs and 600 multi.