PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami Disaster Relief - More photographs

Phoenix Rising
31st Dec 2004, 02:35
Just wanted to wish all members here a Happy New Year since today is the last day of 2004.

On Tuesday am off to hook up with a couple of AS355F2s in Phuket, Thailand. Doing double duty to help as crewie for about a week, and also put together a story about civvy operators supporting the relief effort.

Should be a very sobering experience but at least I can do something useful to help.

Ned :(

autosync
31st Dec 2004, 02:51
Best of Luck Ned, good on ya.

I have been looking into it aswell, if you hear of anyone asking for extra pairs of hands, all you have to do is post it here and no doubt you will get an overwhelming response!

goaround7
31st Dec 2004, 18:19
Am going Tuesday with two 407s in IL76 to set up in Aceh, Indonesia, for AirServ.

Anyone got any gen / advise / contacts / recommendations ?

We are taking everything from tents to toilet roll with, assuming there is nothing there....

Phoenix Rising
31st Dec 2004, 18:51
Make sure you are taking your own JetA1 or can get some shipped there. MHS are sending an S-61N but at this stage there is no Jet fuel there. If you want Rahmats numbers at MHS so you can try and work something let me know as I think they might try and barge it up there from Malaysia.

PR

helmet fire
31st Dec 2004, 18:55
Good luck Ned. Would love to hear some updates when (if) you get time. And also goaround7.

I have 355 time, am immunised, passported, my helmet is on fire and I would love to help if I can, and I am sure posting a plea here will get 20,000 other pilots/crewman/engineers/medics etc putting their hands up too.

All the best guys.

greenarrow
31st Dec 2004, 19:40
Sat waiting. ready to go if needed. Any heli (within reason).
12,000+hrs plenty of overseas experience.Can ruster up several others to carry the bags. ATPL(H) IR.
Good luck to those who go, you will have the force with you (pprune).
Any problems with the operation/aircraft or questions use the forum. we are all here to help.

God speed.

G/Arrow

MOSTAFA
31st Dec 2004, 20:39
Ditto, same details but only 7000 Hrs at least 2500 of which over the indo jungle. Just say the word.

goaround7
31st Dec 2004, 22:49
Thanks guys,

IL76 bringing about 60,000 litres of Jet A-1 and possibly nipping over to Djibouti to fetch Puma as Yemen is the only country en route from Sudan that is still saying no to overflight for getting it to Sri Lanka. Last ditch attempt with US State Dept assistance at 0400 UTC today (1st).

Will try to update from Thailand staging post for all interested. Once in Summatra, don't know what we'll find.

Phoenix, please send numbers - maybe they can help us or vice versa at some point. We will have sat phone.

Cheers

Phoenix Rising
31st Dec 2004, 23:02
Goaround - Check your PMs.

PR

goaround7
31st Dec 2004, 23:46
Thanks Phoenix,

Will try to make contact when we arrive, Wednesday latest.

What is the range of an S61 ?

Does anyone have any feedback on specific requirements yet ? Be useful to know what are the urgent needs. We are bringing a doctor, generators, a pick up truck, 1000 litre trailer bowser and light sling gear.

Too late to be looking for fishermen who need winching ?

Probably no use for a Night Sun or infra red ? Any reports of oil spills which we can tackle with rotor and or fixed wings ?

What about other types of spraying eg. for disease prevention ?

Which diseases can be expected ?

Reaching here, but any info from anyone useful at this stage...

Phoenix Rising
1st Jan 2005, 00:44
Goaround - From what I have been able to gather from contacts up there over the last few days there doesnt seem to be any fuel spills, or at least not in the major areas.

Would take the Infra Red if you can as there are still a lof of villages that they still havent even got to yet, let alone see if there are people still alive, although it gets slimmer by the day.

Not sure of range of S-61N but no doubt some of the CHC or Bristow guys on the forum could answer that one. Would bring plenty of sling gear as no doubt slinging supplies to outlying areas cut off will be a priority. Disease I would say Malaria, Typhoid and possibly Cholera as thats what I have been told to be on the lookout for.

One thing you might want to do is pack as much child formula as possible. I have picked up a few boxes today and will take it with me. Lot of young kids up to 12-18mths old that are now orphans. Just a suggesion. Whatever sweet and sugar based stuff you can pack in spare areas on the helos and gear will go down a treat as they have nothing there at the moment.

Have sent your contact details to Rahmat via text message.

Cheers

Ned

Jemy
1st Jan 2005, 01:36
Hi,
Willing to volunteer to drive a S-61 in Sumatra if needed. UK ATPL H and A. 6000 hrs total time, 3000 s-61, sling load experience, 5 years civvie SAR on S-61. Last Heli flight 4 years ago.

Currently operating Plank Hajj flights, but end up in Batam, Indonesia on the 15th of Jan and free for up to 2 months and will work for free of course.

Who's sending the S-61? Any contact info appreciated.

Cheers

Jemy

Phoenix Rising
1st Jan 2005, 01:47
Jemy - Its Malaysian Helicopter Services S-61N. Drop me a PM and will give you cellphone number of their Commercial Director who is an ex Bristow trained Captain and general allround great guy.

Dont know if they need pilots but its worth touching base.

PR

Steve76
1st Jan 2005, 06:14
I'll join the list.

Plenty of bush time and multi-eng time.
Longline experience as well and disaster relief in remote areas... done the floods and fires before.
Bucket and Longline time +150ft. Can crew and work a hoist as well. Also been Loader, Car Mechanic and Raft Guide in the past life.
I have oodles of 3rd world experience and am at a loose end while Canada is under snow.
Ned if you know of anyone who needs a bush driver or multi-eng driver to help - please email.

[email protected]

Good on ya and God Speed.

Steve

Phoenix Rising
1st Jan 2005, 06:20
Jemy,

Have sent you a PM with what I need from you asap. If you can get it to me then they want you onboard with the S-61. Confirm you get this. I am out of here on Tuesday and not sure if I will have email access there so please action asap.

Ned

P.S. Any other S-61 drivers out there willing to assist for short periods of time.

Phoenix Rising
1st Jan 2005, 06:30
If there are any S-61 Drivers out there willing to donate some time or at minimal cost for relief operations in Thailand and Indonesia please read the Tsunami thread.

Thanks All,

Ned.

Steve76
1st Jan 2005, 06:43
Ned, 2500hrs S76.
No 61 but fast learner. Will cojoe to assist. Its only a 61.....
In NZ and ready to travel immediately, fresh passport and still immunized from EMS work in CA, and PNG op's.

Gabra1
1st Jan 2005, 07:14
Ned,

The S61N is on the way to Kerteh now from Miri. It will need an engine change as #1 engine has about 60 hours remaining.

Those volunteering for Indonesia pls PM me for further details. I can't thank you guys enough.

There are thousands of tsunami victims out there requiring food and medical assistance.

RH

rough translation
1st Jan 2005, 07:46
Phoenix Rising,

I have PM you if you need SeaKing driver. New at this game so not sure if the PM went through as I checked my sent messages and it shows nothing. Let me know if you got my PM please .(when you have the time)

rough translation

Phoenix Rising
1st Jan 2005, 08:19
Hey Guys - Seems like Rahmat has a Rotorheads handle so please PM him direct. He is Gabra1 as mentioned above.

For those that dont know Malaysian Helicopter Services is a very well run company. The current management, including Rahmat who is the Commercial Director, and a Bristow trained pilot, took them from a deeply indebt company into one that is one of the most respected operators in the Asian region. Their equipment is well looked after and if you can assist them with some flying you will enjoy the time spent there, well as good as it can be in a disaster area.

Thanks again to all of those that can asisst.

Ned

Phoenix Rising
1st Jan 2005, 08:20
Hey Guys - Seems like Rahmat has a Rotorheads handle so please PM him direct on the Tsunami thread. He is Gabra1.

For those that dont know Malaysian Helicopter Services is a very well run company. The current management, including Rahmat who is the Commercial Director, and a Bristow trained pilot, took them from a deeply indebt company into one that is one of the most respected operators in the Asian region. Their equipment is well looked after and if you can assist them with some flying you will enjoy the time spent there, well as good as it can be in a disaster area.

Thanks again to all of those that can asisst.

Ned

Geoffersincornwall
1st Jan 2005, 08:31
S61 driver current ATPL(H)/IR tied up until end of Jan but then free to help. Tropical experience, sling, hoist etc etc :)

SiClick
1st Jan 2005, 09:12
I'm Free! 7000 hours, ATPL A + H , S61 rating (expired) 2000 hours Seaking SAR etc, cx your PM's

ATPMBA
1st Jan 2005, 13:19
Sounds like with all the roads washed out and debris fields helicopters are the only practicle form of transportation. There is an oppurtunity to establish goodwill with the world from this event.

S76Heavy
1st Jan 2005, 13:36
since I'm unable to join for a multitude of valid reasons (like no external load training and the wrong type rating), as presumably are a large number of good willing aviators visiting this site, is there anything we can do in the meantime to help from our side of the world?

Tynecastle
1st Jan 2005, 13:38
PR,
Do you really think you can land in Thailand or Indonesia and show your FAA or CAA licence and get a job, I don't think so.
I work in this area and it takes about 2 weeks to get the paper work in order for a pilot or engineer on a normal schedule to get his licence issued.
Wonder what 61 company in Thailand you are referring to, the one that is established there does not hire off the street, show up in Thailand looking for a job and you will be re-directed to Vancouver.

Thomas coupling
1st Jan 2005, 14:19
Tynecastle,
How do you know that Rhamad's company aren't desperate for S61 drivers and will take them on (for free) because of the situation over there at the mo?

Secondly, I would bet my bottom dollar that the Thai government will wave the paperwork thru to get expertise like this to assist with the disaster relief.
Don't be so negative...check it out first:sad:

Phoenix Rising
1st Jan 2005, 16:18
Tynecastle - First off - read the post. It says nothing about a Thai operator. I plainly state it is Malaysian Helicopter Services and they are sending their S-61N over to Aceh, leaves on Monday and the two AS355F2s have already departed for Phuket.

Secondly dont you think that in a time like this the authorities are going to expedite where they can so pilots can get out there and help in disaster relief. Rahmat and I have been text messaging a lot to do with this and he has spoken to DCA in KL who are going to expedite the validations.

Carry on with the great positive attitude and have a great New Year.

PR

ambidextrous
1st Jan 2005, 16:52
Phoenix rising-It would help if you or anyone else in Malaysia could post on this forum the contact no's/tel/fax & 'e' mail for MHS? When I called BT international inquiries all they could give me was what appeared to be a mobile no. for the head office in Petaling Jaya?
Regards, ambi

Phoenix Rising
1st Jan 2005, 17:03
Ambidextrous,

On the other thread, and also this one, I had mentioned that Rahmat (Commercial Director of Malaysian Helicopter Services and your Point of Contact) is here on Rotorheads. He made a post in the Tsunami thread so you can PM him directly. I was getting everyone to contact me as I didnt know Rahmat had a user ID here. Now that he has it makes it much easier and sensible to drop him a PM direct.

Hope that helps. If you are on text messaging from your cellphone then you can msg him at
+60193331749 or email at:

[email protected]

Hope that helps. Any other questions drop me a post or PM.

Ned

Phoenix Rising
1st Jan 2005, 17:19
Copied this from the other thread as well for info.

posted 2nd January 2005 06:03

Ambidextrous,

On the other thread, and also this one, I had mentioned that Rahmat (Commercial Director of Malaysian Helicopter Services and your Point of Contact) is here on Rotorheads. He made a post in the Tsunami thread so you can PM him directly. I was getting everyone to contact me as I didnt know Rahmat had a user ID here. Now that he has it makes it much easier and sensible to drop him a PM direct.

Hope that helps. If you are on text messaging from your cellphone then you can msg him at

+60193331749 or email at:

[email protected]

Hope that helps. Any other questions drop me a post or PM.

Ned

1st Jan 2005, 22:35
We have heard how well the helicopter operation worked during the last summer Olympics in Athens.
Is there any way that we could take a team of men and light machines (206, 350, etc) to Asia to help with the relief operation, in particular with light goods transport or recce type work which would leave the heavier machines free to carry larger loads and greater numbers of people?
I'm sure that many of us are willing and available, and would be able to obtain a machine for a month. Is there anyone out there who could arrange transportation to Asia for light helis and advice with the logistics?

Gabra1
2nd Jan 2005, 00:22
Hi Guys,

The response has been overwhelming. Some of the pilots without S61 rating have offered to become crewmen. Please do not be offended if I am late in responding to your email. My hands are full at the moment!

My email box exceeded it's capacity overnight last night so some of you may have had your email bounced off.

Please use [email protected] instead as this has a bigger capacity.

Cheers

Phoenix Rising
2nd Jan 2005, 02:24
From me also, thanks to everyone who has contacted Rahmat.

Just goes to show that those involved in the helicopter industry are an impressive bunch of people, and at times like this I am proud to be able to promote what the industry does, to the rest of the world.

It never ceases to amaze me, even after being involved in this industry for the past 24 years, the generosity and kindness some individuals show, especially in times of need. Thanks again all.

Ned :ok:

P.S. 916 - When I get there will see whats going on and try and post some suggestions here in the forum. I arrive into Phuket and hook up with Rahmats AS355s on Wednesday morning.

Tynecastle
2nd Jan 2005, 02:58
Sorry if my post came over as negative, it certainly wasn't intended to be, I think I was been more of a realist.
We had a 61 up in Phuket for 2 days last week and the 76 from another contract was up there for the whole week, the first few days was ferrying the injured from the outlying areas to hospital, then a couple of days flying VIP's around, the aircraft have not been required over the weekend, actually last week there was a lot of helicopters sitting at the airport in Phuket that weren't utilized.
TC mentions paperwork, we had to sit on the ground for a few hours last Monday,so that the required permits be issued, and this is for a Thai company, Thai registered aircraft and Thai licenced crew.

It would be great if the Malaysian authorities allow pilots to fly there without going through the red tape involved in issuing licences, but as we are involved with MHS on a few contacts in Malaysia, I know for a fact that it is a headache getting pilots in there, got to be pre-approved, certain number of hours, age, etc. etc, hopefully in the present circumstances they will accept foreign licences,
Good luck to all who apply, hope it works out for you without too many hassles.

Gabra1
2nd Jan 2005, 02:59
Oops! It's [email protected] (with an underscore)

RH

Gabra1
2nd Jan 2005, 04:45
Tynecastle,

You are absolutely right about the formalities foreign pilots need to go through in order to operate in Malaysia although I wouldn't go to the extent of calling it a headache. Under normal circumstances security clearance will take up to a month. Crew experience and age limitation are there for various reasons including to ensure that suitably qualified nationals are not deprieved of work opportunities in their own country.

As for the Malaysian registered S61 going to Indonesia, the Malaysian DCA have agreed to expedite the issuance of licence validation to foreign crews volunteering to assist in the relief work. There is no security issue for Malaysia since the pilots will be flying in Indonesia. The Indonesians are also clearing the path for the helicopter and crew to enter Indonesia without the normal formalities.

This is a life and death situation so I don't expect anybody would want to delay the rescue efforts.

On another note, Ned and I are looking into approaching major airlines to provide free passage to ppruners volunteering to help. You don't get if you don't ask!

RH

spinwing
2nd Jan 2005, 05:53
Sorry don't have S61, ...

But do have Oz, UK, UAE, FAA ATPL-H with BH412/212/222/206 BK117/Bo105 SA330J PUMA, will be available from Jan 27th for 6 weeks FREE (of course!)....

Jemy
2nd Jan 2005, 11:23
Hi Rahmat and Pheonix Rising,

I've emailled and PM'd my details. I'm using a new laptop, so If you don't get them then I'll Call Rahmat directly.

Still desperate to help

Jemy

Munkeh
2nd Jan 2005, 12:21
Jemy,

I presume from your experience and location you must be GB? If so drop me a PM with your email address.

OHALLY
2nd Jan 2005, 15:36
Low timer available on days off for whatever needs to be done...... 2 weeks at a time ..... not sure if only beeing available for 2 weeks is worthy as i am in Canada but if so i'm game .....

And i second S76HEAVY's comment about beeing available to do whatever i can to help from Canada

goaround7
2nd Jan 2005, 17:10
Just an update in case of relevance to anyone:

Naturelink's IL 76 leaving between 0000 and 0200 UTC, 040105, out of Jo'burg International for the area.

Was going direct Indonesia (via Diego Garcia) then to Aceh but now may make stop in Sri Lanka to drop heli (Squirrel/s) there. Still bringing on sling equipped 407s for Aceh.

Expect to be there 90-180 days.

Phoenix Rising
3rd Jan 2005, 00:03
Thanks again to everyone who is responding. On behalf of Rahmat and Malaysian Helicopter Services a very sincere thank you.

For those that have asked there are two types of helos which MHS have in Indonesia and Thailand. There are currently AS355F2s x 2 in Phuket and the S-61N is heading for Aceh on Tuesday morning.

So if you have time on type of either of these please send a PM to Gabra1 here on Pprune or to the contact email address mentioned before which is:

[email protected]

His cellphone is +60193331749

Feel free to text message him if you wish.

Regards

Ned

kopter
3rd Jan 2005, 01:13
I have a good friend that is on assignment and working in Phuket, Thailand for News Ltd... (mainly the Telegraph in Australia). He's not a freelance.

I've told him about the Civvy helicopters that are on there way and he's keen to do a story... If those involved can PM me or post details here, I'll pass his details on for you to hook up...

If you feel that it's appropriate for us to "place tickets on ourselves", I'm know our industry will get some very positive exposure from his coverage.

Mr Toad
3rd Jan 2005, 01:29
Gabra1
---------

I've emailed and I've sms'ed to no avail; I'm in Malaysia, 7,000 hrs S61 (but not current) and I really want to help.

Phoenix Rising
3rd Jan 2005, 01:43
Mr Toad,

I know Rahmat and the guys at MHS have been head down, backside up over the past week and his PM box here keeps getting filled up pretty quickly and he tries his best to download it each day. I know he is going in there soon. Best thing to do is drop him an email at:

[email protected]

List your experience, licence details etc. Since you are there in Malaysia that should make it easier I would say.

Ned

Brian Dixon
3rd Jan 2005, 10:21
I regret that I'm not qualified to offer any help, as per this topic.

I just wanted to say how humbling it was reading this thread and to congratulate those of you who are unselfishly offering to do what you can.

Kinda restores the faith.

Stay safe, and thank you.

Gabra1
3rd Jan 2005, 15:18
The S61N is due to depart Kerteh base for Kuala Lumpur at 0900 tomorrow enroute to Medan and Banda Aceh. They are going armed with tents, sleeping bags, insect repellant, anti-whatever medication, lots of mineral water and instant noodles. Not sure what to expect out there.

Meanwhile, we are going through the list of volunteers. First choice would be those already typed rated and geographically closer to South East Asia. I hope we can get the licence validations and base checks done within the next 2 weeks, in time to replace the first batch of pilots.

Thanks again to all you wonderful people out there. I shall keep you posted and will try to upload some photos the first chance I get.

RH :D

mickjoebill
3rd Jan 2005, 19:25
Gabra 1

A list of info I have collated in respect of Sumatra which may be of interest. EAOA!

Aussies know the area and have a valuable Aeronautical info service for relief work in Sumatra, pass word protected.
http://www.raafais.gov.au/

Medan not physically affected by quake or flood.
US warships stationed off Banda Aceh coast
Aussie ships arrive in a few days with a field hospital and Chinooks.

Banda Aceh was locked down by military to squash insurgents. 500 troops were in BA when wave hit.
No relief was allowed in until 29th as the province was/is under martial law.

Aid is stockpiled at BA airport. But severe lack of means of transporting it to the countryside.

Can't find any info regarding availability of fuel at BA.

Road Journey from Medan to BA normally 12 hours.

Airport elevation was listed by RAAF En Route Suppliment regional in Oct 04 as 65 feet. Apparently there are signs that it is now lower.

As Medan is stretched to the limit there are unconfirmed reports for a military base in Kuala Lumpar is to be used as a hub.

If things get hairy, Phuket is 200 miles away and apart from coastline, is functioning with electricty water ect and hotels looking for business.

The big story is Sumatra. But with few westerners missing in the area it is just not getting the attention of Sri Lanka and Thailand. This quote from Indonesian Vice-President Jusuf Kalla

"Today our estimation is around 30,000-40,000 dead. Aceh's population is about 4.5 million with 300,000 in Banda Aceh," Mr Kalla told diplomats at a meeting.
"Maybe 5 per cent of Banda Aceh's population is dead, or maybe more," he said. (ABC NEWS)

To anyone who has seen the pictures from Banda Aceh a 5% death toll would be a miracle.

best of everything to you

Mickjoebill

Planning maps from UNJLC here
http://www.unjlc.org/content/index.phtml/itemId/5478

Here is an extract from bulletin 1 by UNJLC Air Coordination Cell posted Dec 31st.
http://www.unjlc.org/content/index.phtml/itemId/28424

"Indonesia
For Indonesia, Medan (WIMM) will be the point of entry for relief flights once this is confirmed by the authorities.

On Banda Aceh airport: The runway is in acceptable condition for C 130/AN 12-type of aircraft. The airport is extremely congested: there may be a need to hold for a considerable time or to land elsewhere and refuel.

Planned UN flights were cancelled because of the heavy traffic. Offloading is done manually as there is only one functioning forklift truck. IHP may want to consider bringing own offloading equipment. The Indonesian military and GARUDA also had problems getting flights in. It is not clear what the reason for the congestion is. There seem to be problems in communication.

These issues will be resolved next week, since a strategic pipeline will be brought in by donors. The greater part of the goods will go to Medan (WIMM). This could cause new congestion since there is no reliable onwards transport (ground or air).

Airport coordination is needed locally in WIMM, Jakarta (WIII) and Banda Aceh (WITT).

Priority needs for immediate distribution: instant food and baby food, body bags, water purification equipment, generator sets, medicines, mobile medical clinics, blankets, shrouding cloth, tents, mosquito nets, water buckets, clothes, mattresses, emergency lights, kitchen sets, gloves and masks.

Procedure for delivering humanitarian aid (extract of briefing to diplomatic corps regarding natural disaster in Aceh and North Sumatra dated 29.12.04:

Flight clearance is to be issued by Department of Foreign Affairs in coordination with TNI Head quarters and Department of Transportation.

Flights may be authorised to proceed directlyto WIMM (Medan) or_ WITT (Banda Aceh,). Refuelling could only be made at WIMM because relevant ground handling facilities at WITT are minimal. WITT is capable of handling Hercules, Airbus A300, Boeing 737 and Antonov. Visa will be issued upon arrival in Banda Aceh or Medan. Coordination is necessary with officers from Emergency Centres or liaison officers from the department of ForeignAffairs stationed at the airport."

RDRickster
3rd Jan 2005, 20:14
Pheonix,

Can you have PPRuNe or your outfit setup a site for donation that will go DIRECTLY to what you are doing? Helicopters are the only way things are getting done there and it will be a long time before any other infrastructure is up for the task. For those that can't provide manpower, a few bucks from the rest of us will go a long way.

R2

goaround7
3rd Jan 2005, 21:03
Thanks for your support guys but bad news on the Naturelink mission as US Secretary of State decided in his infinite wisdom that because of the scale of the disaster in Indonesia only the US military can handle it and all US civvies will get no funding.

Aside from the fact that they told us 15 minutes after the 8.5 hour loading process had been completed, this monumentally stupid decision is compounded by an apparent attitude from the Indonesian government that as Summatra are a bunch of rebels they don't deserve any help.

We are standing by 48 hours in the hope that sanity prevails as the US military are perhaps the worst tool to apply here and the colossal arrogance to force out experts at the job must be undermined.

In the mean time we are going to raise our own funds - need US$1m in 48 hours - and go anyway. It's a tall order but why not ?

sycamore
3rd Jan 2005, 21:37
The military , US/UK have big rubber` donuts` for fuel farms.Can be rolled on/off Hercs easily. Also possible to refuel directly off a Herc. refuelling panel, if theyve got the kit, otherwise , stick a hose over the fuel jettison outlet pipe(wingtip), and do it by gravity!!!!
Large helos should be used to take stores to large clear areas, then use smaller types to `feed` the more remote sites.
G7; if they don`t want you there, then try and go somewhere else......You should know what politicians are like....just woken up and want all the `kudos`....All the best to all in the endeavour. Syc........:ok:

specialobserver
4th Jan 2005, 08:53
Gentlemen

I have just returned from south east asia and would like to add some comments. Dont worry about any diseases in that part of Thailand (current circumstances accepted). Dengue fever is one to watch but so are all the other ones. take your chances and keep up the good work. god bless all of you.

ps. if you get a chance taffy: check out the Black Sheep Pub and tell me if the landlord(Kiwi) is OK. I used to drink in there.

All the very very best and good luck.

Si

moosp
4th Jan 2005, 15:22
I wonder if other Rotorheads share my frustration at seeing this disaster unfold from the point of view of a helicopter pilot and operator.

Within the first hour of the wave, as reports started coming in, I guess most helicopter pilots thought, "they need helicopters there, for rescue and re-supply." When the estimated death toll had reached 4,500 by about midday 26/12 (UTC+7) reports were coming in of villages and towns damaged. Most helicopter pilots probably thought, "they are going to need helicopters there, fast."

Now nine days later the helicopters are finding new villages and small towns that have had no outside help since the wave struck. Where were they in the first 24 to 48 hours?

Well one place was, grounded by the Indonesian military as Aceh is to them the Iraq of Sumatra. A no-go zone for foreigners, even rescue squads. Another place was sitting on the tarmac at Phuket waiting for tasking. Phuket did not have a large need for helicopters as a decent road structure still existed. India still runs the Andamans as a penal colony so prohibits entry. Burma still does not admit that it lost more that a couple of hundred fisherman and a postman. (When you look at a map you can see that they are woefully wrong...) Sri Lanka is not the easiest of places to get to in a hurry in a machine with a range of 400nm.

So for a variety of reasons the countries that needed the unique rescue and support abilites of a helicopter just did not have them in the air, in any useful numbers.

Some years ago I mulled over and did preliminary costings on an idea along the lines of what took off from South Africa in the last few days. A suitably sized cargo aircraft with a few helicopters and support staff on board which could get anywhere on the planet in 24 hours. Call it International Rescue if you are that old and remember the TV program... It does not have to carry much in the way of rescue aid, as that is usually available within 100nm of a disaster area anyway and can be ferried in. Fuel for four days ops is carried in the aircraft (say 10,000kgs.) All you need is a strip to take the fixed wing and you are up and running.

I realise politics stops this today. Some git in the local aviation department says that the machines are not locally registered and then a low life from Excise says you have to pay import duty on them, but these are things that the UN is good at sorting from the top, as long as you give them a year to get the protocol in place.

The UN is too slow to react practically to international disasters. Military units are also too slow. They need political clearance to start, can take ages to get on station and then try to take over the show like the American Navy is doing in Aceh. But commercial helicopter people know that we can be doing good within the first hour if we happen to be there, or in 24 hours if we are allowed to get there. An organisation based on philanthropy plus 5% should be able to keep a quick reaction team on standby and yet still be financially viable.

I know a commercial IL76 and three 407's is not going to save 150,000 lives. But it will save some, give relief to thousands and also demonstrate to a skeptical public that helicopters are Good Things, and good to have around when you need them, like insurance. And if I had been a villager in Aceh I would have been very pleased to see 500kg of water and some cup noodle put down in the market place by a helicopter with "Siemens" or "Nokia" on the bottom. When I got back my livelihood, I would probably buy one...

I have noted some others on the thread in the last few days with similar frustrations. How is it for you? Is an international disaster relief team based on helicopters totally unrealistic, or is there the germ of an idea? (Not mine originally I can assure you.)

4th Jan 2005, 21:17
Moosp
Like most of the other guys, I'm sure, I share your frustration.
In fact I have been trying to come up with some kind of solution as to how a rapid helicopter response unit could be financed for quite some time.
As we are aware the cost of machines is one of the first major hurdles to overcome. But what if that big IL76 had a belly full of overhauled surplus Hueys in? They would have cost a quarter (or less) of a 407, have a greater load capacity, be simple and rugged to operate and maintain in the field, and be cheap on parts and service...(just a little thirsty!)
All we need now is someone to buy them...........come on guys, we all earn too much money, we'll just chip in and buy a couple off Uncle Sam, out of December's bonus...................................
:rolleyes:

moosp
5th Jan 2005, 10:23
I appreciate you idea about old Hueys, and with the places that these machines will need to go, looks are not required. This will not be a White Landcruiser operation, if you get my drift.

One problem of such old equipment is cost of ownership. It is often relatively easy to get capital to start up operations, but getting the running costs can be more difficult, as "donor fatigue" sets in. So it might be better to start off with a machine with low utilisation costs.

Today's Trib on page 7 has an article from the Boston Globe by Craig Cooper who is at Harvard in Public Health. He gets to the same point with, "When a deployment of just 40 navy helicopters requires 6 days, more than 9,000 sailors and $7 billion of military equipment, something, somewhere has gone wrong..."

There must be a better way.

Brilliant Stuff
5th Jan 2005, 10:54
MOOSEP

You hit the nail on the head.
After all that is the whole beauty of helicopter's they are like a swiss army knife just as cheap if you compare what you get for your money.

Whatever type of helicopter you get they all are capable of taking the essentials to the place of need.
You would have thought the UN could get some form of rapid reaction disaster relief force together which has some 20 Helciopter's on a short leash, which it can through in the back of some cargo plane and send it over.
And you can have a pool of pilot's which ar eable to leave at short notice and fly the things.

goaround7
5th Jan 2005, 13:29
Thanks in part to the feedback from you guys regarding the importance of being able to distribute what is piling up on the docks and airports in the area, the SA government has stepped up to fund Naturelink's helicopters to come over.

A cooperative deal has been made with the guys from AirServ and the South African mission will be underway tonight.

Phoenix Rising
5th Jan 2005, 13:51
Here are some pics I shot today while out with MHS's AS355s. We went up north of Khao Lak to do a search for bodies and then picked up a forensic team who had been identifying bodies all day. On the way home stopped in and got some shots of whats left of the hotels along Khao Lak.

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/t1.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/t2.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/t3.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/t4.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/t5.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/t6.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/t7.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/t8.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/t9.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/t11.jpg

broadreach
5th Jan 2005, 20:57
Phoenix,

Thanks for those photos. They bring home in a much more practical way than dramatised news photos do what lies ahead in the way of reconstruction.

Those high and dry fishing boats are probably the last thing to worry about. If there are crews alive to man them they'll be patched up and back at work within a few weeks with zero outside help. Or, should I say, outside help will come in the form of cash to buy their catch for feeding the cashless and hungry survivors.

Phoenix Rising
6th Jan 2005, 08:35
Few more.

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph1.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph2.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph4.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph5.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph6.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph7.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph8.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph9.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph10.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph11.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph12.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph13.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph14.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph15.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph16.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph17.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph18.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph19.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph20.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/ph21.jpg

Gabra1
6th Jan 2005, 08:52
Ned,

Fantastic photos! Can't wait to see what you will come up with in Medan / Aceh tomorrow.

Mr Toad
6th Jan 2005, 10:42
Great photos; tho' I suppose it's like a battlefield seen from the air. The true horror is at ground level.

I wish Phoenix Rising and the other MHS pilots well in their work; I am sure that you can make a difference.

We all know and understand the vital role of helicopters in disaster relief; like most of us, I agree the need for some form of supra-national fast reaction organisation equipped with a fleet of heavy lifters capable of carrying and supporting medium size helicopters c/w emergency equipment and medics to any corner of the world at short notice and without the need for lengthy political clearances.

Of course, an amphibious taskforce is ideal for this work and the crews are brilliant at it. To all those military airmen, soldiers and sailors already involved, thanks for your efforts; likewise to all those civilian ngo's and individuals who responded so quickly. Saving lives is more noble than making war.

Politicians, where are you? Give the UN some teeth and pay up your contributions - you need it.

RDRickster
6th Jan 2005, 13:02
Political comments about aid givers deleted. RD, you are warned, the sight of the devastation, and the degree of suffering, are not grist for anyone's hate-mill.

PedalStop, Rotorheads moderator

jibboo
6th Jan 2005, 16:28
Hello to all
I would like to get into contact with somebody who needs any a crew member/refueler/ground crew/grunt, to be put to use. I know nobody needs a robbie or schweizer pilot, but if you know of anything please PM me or email or even call.

James McGuire
[email protected]
(805) 909-7624:ok:

RDRickster
6th Jan 2005, 16:36
PedalStop,

I think you overeacted to my comments about the UN's recent comments about the situation, but we'll leave it at that. I have nothing but admiration and respect for what's being done, and my comments were not intended to cheapen the spirit of coorperation found on this forum and elsewhere. Please don't make me out to be the bad guy here.

Respectfully,
RD

RD, You must read your post next time before you send into cyberspace. I assure you it was over the top, and made comparisons to 911 and religions that were simply not part of this thread, nor of Rotorheads.

PedalStop

Cyclic Hotline
6th Jan 2005, 17:58
Government to fund helicopter for Aceh relief
Monday, 3 January 2005, 9:39 am
Press Release: New Zealand Government

Government to fund helicopter for Aceh relief

Foreign Minister Phil Goff has welcomed the development of a New Zealand private-public sector partnership to deliver immediate assistance to areas devastated by the Asian tsunami.
Mr Goff said the government would provide funding for a New Zealand company operating helicopters in Kalimantan (Borneo) to deliver urgently-needed relief supplies in Aceh, Indonesia.

"The government's aid agency, NZAID, will provide $300,000 to cover the costs of the Bell 212 helicopter for up to 30 days," Mr Goff said.

"The helicopter is owned by Jakarta-based National Utility Helicopters (NUH), and is currently based in East Kalimantan. It will leave for Banda Aceh, the capital of Aceh province, tomorrow.

"Once in Aceh, the helicopter will be used to conduct various relief operations including reconnaissance, liaison and light transport. The Bell may stay longer in the region if required and if additional funding can be secured.

"NZAID is working closely with the New Zealand and Australian Defence Forces, which have both sent medical teams to Aceh. The Australians will have primary responsibility for tasking the helicopter, and their aid agency, Ausaid, will cover fuel costs.

“It is good to see New Zealand and Australians, in both the public and private sectors, working together to provide relief to those affected by the tsunami.

"We are very grateful to NUH and its representative in New Zealand, Peter Green, who has been of great assistance in arranging logistics and securing highly competitive terms for the lease of the helicopter.

"Officials at NZAID are talking to other helicopter companies in New Zealand about linking them up in a similar way with international donors and the United Nations.”

Mr Goff also confirmed that he and Prime Minister Helen Clark would attend the international summit on tsunami relief and reconstruction in Jakarta on January 6.

"This is an important meeting of regional leaders and New Zealand is honoured to be invited to join. Our attendance will ensure New Zealand's aid commitments fit appropriately within a coordinated international response," Mr Goff said.

Copyright (c) Scoop Media

mickjoebill
6th Jan 2005, 23:54
The series of photos at a resort, (11th to 13th pic from the bottom) clearly show the soil eroison, of around 5 feet in depth.

Look at the trees with completly exposed roots and the exposed building foundations.

Mickjoebill

MD900 Explorer
7th Jan 2005, 00:37
Damn, i just travelled back from New Zealand Yesterday from holiday, maybe i should have checked PPRuNe, whilst i was away, completely clueless :{

Phoenix Rising

Awesome photo's, and i fear just scartching the surface on how much devastation there is going on down there. The true picture will no doubt come soon on this thread. Keep up the good work.

Gabra1

Not type rated on the machines listed, but definately got experience in bush work. If you need crew or ramp guys, i would be willing (For Free) to help out, if it is needed. (Check email sent by Decimal too).

Steve76

I Should have stayed in Matamata bro, i would have been closer the action. Great catching up though. :ok:

Rotorheads that will be flying

May god be with you and safe flying in these treacherous times. :sad:

Regards

MD :sad:

SkySista
7th Jan 2005, 03:06
Was pointed here thru a link from JB.

those pictures are jaw dropping. Makes me see even more how much needs to be done with regard to cleanup & rebuilding (not to mention relief work)

Just wanted to say to all you guys and girls out there helping,good on you, keep it up, you are making your families and friends and evryone on PPRuNe proud. :ok:

Only wish I had an aircraft and the ability to get over there!

best wishes for smooth skies and a safe return.

Regards,

Sky

Icarusonline
7th Jan 2005, 07:06
Current AWSAR S61 Captain. 7000+ S61 hours, Prof checked on 61 until November 2005, Medical end May 2005. I have e-mailed Rahmat on both his addresses and also Phoenix Rising. In these mails (2nd Jan) I indicated that I could have been available from this weekend. Left work and home phone numbers. Haven't heard a dickie bird. Does anyone have any accurate information as to whether S61 drivers are still required?

Ogsplash
7th Jan 2005, 08:24
Icarus, Ned and Rahmat are 'in the field' or travelling between places. I don't know if MHS need any more people but I'm sure that when Rahmat gets near a computer, he will let you know.

Phoenix Rising
7th Jan 2005, 11:49
Update To All:

Well made it to Medan. Got in on the flight from Singapore this morning. Talk about a madhouse. Aircraft have been coming and going all day, both fixed wing and helos.

Those wanting responses from Rahmat will have to bear with him as he has been very very busy at the moment. They are fixing a leak on the S-61s engine and then at 0600 we are heading up to Aceh. No doubt will shoot some images up there and post them here as I am working with Rahmats boys as a crewman on the 61 and also the two 355s that are stretcher configured. They will be in Aceh on Sunday.

On the ramp tonight there was the following.

1 x S-61N
1 x Bell 412 military
3 x BO105 Indonesian Police
1 x Bell 206B Sabah Air
1 x Bell 212 Sabah Air
1 x Bell 206B SAR Helicopters
1 x Mil 8 Civil
1 x S-61 Malaysian Military
3 x Chinooks Indonesia Military

Plus heaps of C-130s, C-2 Greyhoud from USS Abraham Lincoln, CASAs, IL-76s, DC-10s, C-130J from RAAF, Beech King Airs x 5 incl RAAF.

Will do another update from Aceh tomorrow evening if I have comms, if not will post when I come out of the Assylum.

Cheers

Ned

PK-KAR
8th Jan 2005, 04:18
Guys...
I've been running around other forums and wondered where the PPRuNe action regarding this tragedy is... seem to have found it...

I'm amazed at the perseverance you guys have!

Let me on the behalf of a local (albeit me being in Jakarta), and a couple of friends who have lost relatives in Aceh, and lost friends in other places do the least I can do... that is to say Thank You!

Any ops into Lhokseumawe/WITM?

For west coast ops, I hear they're putting up a small staging post in Blang Pidie south east of Meulaboh, the worst hit area. I hear C212s bringing aid in there 4x 1.5 tons a day and transporting the aid by road to Meulaboh.

For you guys doing this out of Medan, if you get any hassles from anyone give me a call and I can call the Airport Chief whom I know... though I know he's a bit overwhelmed at the moment...

I know an operator based in Medan too that who might give spare resources (if any) to help you guys out...

Also for Medan, I have a couple of friends there and if you need any info that may help your rest periods, let me know.

Plus a couple of days ago are a couple of friends wanting to help in airops (fixed/rotary) asked me if anyone from outside need any help. Their experience is little, but safety minded, willing to help and could help out in language and other "local" problems... Some pilots, some want to put their time to a good cause...

No promises, but I'd like to help. Once again... thank you!

PK-KAR
+62-813-14253617 (24/7)

Gabra1
8th Jan 2005, 08:02
Icarus and all those who have volunteered to help:

It is still very difficult for us to gauge how long and how much flying there is going to be in Sumatra and Phuket. For instance, yesterday we demobilised the two 355s back to Kuala Lumpur only to get a call in the evening that one 355 is required back in South Thailand for another 2 weeks from Sunday. The other is headed for Banda Aceh for about 4 weeks.

The S61N has been averaging 5 hours a day and at this rate we can cope with our own S61 pilots. Every single one of them has volunteered to join the action but not all will get the chance to. One reason is we have a full time S61 operation to run in Kerteh. Another is we don't know how long more the S61 will be required in Sumatra. If flying picks up we will definitely call for help from the volunteers. All I can say is please stay tuned. For the moment the S61 in supposed to be there until Feb 4, 2005. There is a good chance of us staying on for another 2 months.

PK-KAR, I wish you had posted your message a day earlier. I would have called you for help. We had to send some urgent S61 spares to Medan and were sitting in Subang Airport (Kuala Lumpur) from 0800 hrs local yesterday waiting for a slot time to land. The first window we were given was for 2230 hrs! Finally, after much haggling, they said we could land there at 1700 hours. Even then, we had to hold for about 30 mins before given the clearance to land. At one stage they told us to expect to hold for up to 2 hours and suggested we return to Subang to wait. We were on ground for about 30 mins and then had to depart back to Subang due to limited parking bays.

Medan was like an airshow full of aircrafts of various types on static display. I met up with Phoenix Rising who was there with our S61 crew. Ned will work with the MHS boys for a couple of days before heading off to Banda Aceh to join the 355.

More updates soon.

RH ;)

Steve76
8th Jan 2005, 10:29
I am watching the relief effort on the TV and I am confused and annoyed at the operation of the helicopters that are there.

Every machine I have seen, is being hand loaded and then manually unloaded by the military and volunteers.

For every helicopter there is a line of 10 to 20 guys handing boxes to each other in the most slow and ineffective manner possible. How long does it take to load a Blackhawk in this manner and WHY?

What is wrong with the military that they are not slinging in these supplies?

Most machines carry more externally; you place the nets on the ground, a forklift or men load it in minutes and you carry it on your chosen length of line.

Safer, faster and more productive. Obviously you won't go as fast but is that a real issue.
I figure it is just the military being unable to perform external load work of this nature effectively.

Make some room military boys….let us pro's in.

ADDITIONALLY; what is happening out there?

Any companies you work for been approached to supply hardware or skills over there?

FACT: It is Canada's off season and there are more bush veterans in the country available right now, than in the rest of the world combined. The HAI meeting next month should be a ghost town but I bet it is barely affected.
Pilots in all of Canada represent the best of the world and there must be hundreds of potential pilots and machines that could respond if needed.

Deeko01
8th Jan 2005, 10:39
Frightening watching how close the people affected by this disaster get to the tail rotor of the aircraft seems like a bit of a free for all, l hope nothing ever happens they have had enough death out there to last a lifetime.

sikhorsey
8th Jan 2005, 11:41
Steve 76,

Pull your head in mate. The only fact you need be concerned with is they would be doing the best they could given the situation.

To suggest that the various militaries involved do not know how to conduct external loads is naive at best but malicious and offensive at worst.

What is your agenda?

P.S. Work on your aircraft recognition skills mate. For the confusion and annoyance try a dose of humility and understanding. You muppet!

cyclic_fondler
8th Jan 2005, 11:46
Maybe it's the cynic in me but I guess TV coverage of the victims of the Tsuanami carrying supplies from a helicopter, which just so happens to have a large national flag of the country it's from, has better PR/News potential than a slung loaded helicopter.

The good thing is that helicopters, their crews and support staff are all getting recognised out there for their hard work and it just shows how reliant we all are to these wonderfully versatile machines.

8th Jan 2005, 12:12
Steve, I suspect the problem is availability of nets and slings, as well as competent ground handlers/marshallers. If you have the supplies in the aircraft then you can land anywhere and hand out the goodies before moving onto the next place - if you have a netted load it will all have to be dismantled before you can move on or you will have to come back for the net and strop later which both add time to the distribution of the aid. You also have to assume that at the distribution centre there are enough qualified people to prepare the loads safely and keep a safety check on the nets and strops.

rotaryman
8th Jan 2005, 12:20
Pilots in all of Canada represent the best of the world

Are you serious??

I have enjoyed your input over the years Steve76, but you just lost me with that comment, there are thousands of excellent pilots from all over the world mate!! not just Canada,,Ahh...

Its an interesting observation, and i wonder why they are not slinging the loads in also! but maybe its for reasons we dont; understand because we are not there!

most of these poor people are starving and thirsty,, i can also understand why the helicopters get rushed in the crowd..
Instead of being so critical Steve try coming up with a tangable solution.................................................... ..................................

Show some compassion!

:(

PK-KAR
8th Jan 2005, 14:44
Gabra1,
Sorry mate, I didn't discover that the action was in here !

I'd like to know the flights you and Phoenix are doing.

Regarding the slot madness, well, it is mad. There would be little help to improve from my end regarding to assistance and pushing... Foreign aircraft already have priority on the slots... I'm already hearing that us locals are having to "pay" HUGE for "2nd tier" slots. Confirm Ramp Slot being the problem?

If you guys at any time require help give me a shout at my number, especially for Medan. If you need ramp space I can call a few numbers to check if Ramp D (I think... well the one off Txy D) can slot you in since it is/should be a private ramp. I know one of the operators on that ramp.

Tell Phoenix if he can't get comms in BTJ to get a Simpati prepaid GSM, coz I hear roaming in BTJ is a bit unstable at the moment. Hell, patch messages through SMS through me if need be! It'll be the least I can do to help.

If possible, there's the local av mag and my forum would be interested to cover you guys on a short article.
---

Steven76,
Every machine I have seen, is being hand loaded and then manually unloaded by the military and volunteers.

The equipment is used to off load planes and send those planes out due to ramp shortage... Looks odd and timewasting, but then again, what to do and hell, what do I know? :( I hope more ground equipment will get there in Banda Aceh.

What is wrong with the military that they are not slinging in these supplies?
The distances involved may have something to do with it... besides, are the Sea Hawks sling capable? I know the Blackhawks are...

Deeko,
Frightening watching how close the people affected by this disaster get to the tail rotor of the aircraft seems like a bit of a free for all

USN crew have said that it happened on the first few days only... Locals "get the message" that they should wait for the stuff to be off loaded first, then go and upload the injured, then back off again. Heli departs, then the free for all begins :(

PK-KAR

Ogsplash
8th Jan 2005, 17:58
Interesting comments on the sling load action. Seahawks can lift 6000 lbs on the hook if it is installed. If the distances are relatively short, sling loading is a good option. If distances are greater, or if you want to get the materials in fast, then sling loading becomes less of an option due to reduced airspeed and higher fuel usage. There may also be a problem with the amount of gear available, availability of people to unload nets and reconfigure them to be transported back to base...any one of a number of reasons I guess. But I'm not there making decisions or observing the decision-making so I can't comment accurately on why.

Ian Corrigible
8th Jan 2005, 18:36
Following an incident involving a USMC CH-46 a number of days ago during which sling-loaded relief supplies were accidentally dropped onto an Indonesian (?) car park (with no casualties), local politicians requested that sling-load ops be suspended. Can't confirm though whether or not this provides the answer to Steve's question.

Cheers.
I/C

Mark Six
8th Jan 2005, 22:42
Couldn't agree more with Sikhorsey.
Steve 76, your post reeks of arrogance and ignorance. What makes you think you know better than the crews on scene as to the best method to deliver aid under the circumstances? You obviously know very little of military flying if you think they are not capable of slinging loads. "... let us pro's in" ?! As Sikhorsey says, try a dose of humility.

Say again s l o w l y
8th Jan 2005, 22:58
Many of the missions don't just have one stop, but many. A bit hard to control who gets what if you sling-load.

S76, not your finest hour.......

GTNav
9th Jan 2005, 02:19
At the risk of being accused of "jumping on the band wagon" Steve76 try and think at least 2 words ahead of what you type!

You are never that stupid with your remarks when we meet you for real (except when you have been drinking) so let us hope you were in from a hard night on the town when you wrote that one.

GT

NickLappos
9th Jan 2005, 21:42
Be kind, Guys!

Steve76 made his observations, got his butt kicked, can we all just get along?

arm the floats
10th Jan 2005, 00:40
I sympathise with steve76 also, probably said with frustration as much as anything else but lets face it guys the logistics out there must be a bit of a nightmare.
Say again slowly is right, multiple drops are needed and lots of them.I too was frustrated hearing in the last couple of days that aid is getting to centres but people are still having to walk 5 or 6km to get to them.
Why not have the heavy lift machines pull the aid into a feeder sites then have smaller machines AS350's or 407's distribute on shorter runs out into the field.
Don't use nets use disposable bags fill them with water /food/medical supplies,use a self releasing hook,drop the load and back for the next one to a different area.Quick turnarounds.1 ac could do 60 - 70 drops a day.
Its just a thought, I'm not there on the ground.
Keep the info and pictures coming.

hueywsh
10th Jan 2005, 01:48
Guys, just read on the wires that a a US navy Seahawk had an accident on approach to land at Aceh, about 500 short of the pad. Ended up in a rice paddy on its side, nil injuries I understand. Anyone know what happened?

Cheers

Hueywsh

John Eacott
10th Jan 2005, 01:51
From the ABC News here (http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200501/s1279428.htm?fp_news_stor)

US helicopter crashes in Aceh

The United States has indefinitely suspended helicopter aid operations in Indonesia's tsunami-hit Aceh province, after a Seahawk chopper went down during relief work.

Aid and military officials say four people were slightly injured in the crash.

The helicopter with a crew of 10 was flying from the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln to Banda Aceh to begin relief sorties when it came down in a rice paddy.

Colonel David Kelley, a marine officer in charge of the US contingent in Banda Aceh, said it was "hard to tell" the condition of the crew but aid workers told US officers that four were injured.

The helicopter landed on its right-hand side in a rice paddy close to its usual landing site on a football field.

The rotors were smashed and dented, with some missing, and the tail had nearly snapped off, according to reporters at the scene.

A foreign aid official said the injured crew members had been taken by stretcher to a field hospital at the airport.

Lieutenant-Commander John Bernard says the US has now suspended its helicopter operations in the area, which have been the backbone of the aid flow to Aceh's devastated west coast.

"Humanitarian assistance and disaster relief operations in the form of helicopter deliveries of essential supplies has temporarily and indefinitely been suspended," Lt Commander Bernard said.

More than 100,000 Indonesians were killed in the December 26 quake and tsunami disaster which has prompted a massive international relief operation.

Ship-based US helicopters land at the airport to pick up aid to ferry around Aceh.

-AFP/Reuters

Phoenix Rising
10th Jan 2005, 02:41
Here is a summary of what I have seen so far at Bander Achey.

There are basically a number of operations running at the same time. You have the US Navy helos running out of the football field. That is a clockwork operation, as it should be. All the USAID pallets that come in on the C-130s, C-17s, IL76s etc etc are offloaded on their pallets. They are then transferred to the back of trucks, said trucks then back up to the football oval where a chain gang of personnel load each helo in a very very short time. They usually load two helos at a time, and as those two depart the two sitting on the other side of the oval slide over and the process begins. Yesterday there were 15 Seahawks allocated to the USAID effort. The freight that comes in from USAID has, from what I have seen, only been delivered via these helos and a couple of USMC CH-53E models.

Now there are also some civilian helicopters running from the terminal side of the airport, not sure what exactly they are doing as never got around there but have seen the Indonesian Police BO-105s, some Bell 412s, 212 and Bell 427 there.

Back on the mil side there is another operation involving the military helos, and Rahmats S-61N coupled with Sabah Airs 212 and an NUH 212. Rahmats 61 is dedicated only to the IRC (Intl Red Cross) and its efforts, as is the Sabah Air 212. The other 212 is being used on contract for AUSAID and NZAID and is also an exclusive use machine for them. The military machines are primarily carting both freight and pax anywhere and everywhere. A lot of different countries have delivered aid and this is distributed as quickly as possible. Rahmats 61 is primarily moving between Meaulabah (pardon spelling) and Bander Achey. Yesterday the loads were medical supplies from the Japanese Red Cross to go to the field hospital in Meaulabah and some French doctors who were needed at the hospital. The extra freight was also loaded on the 212 and sent south.

Now someone below made a point of using the smaller machines to ferry aid around from staging points. Well that is hard because apart from Meaulabah there are now NO villages down the coast as nearly all of them have been erased from the face of the earth. We flew for 45 mins yday heading down south and I counted 12 villages that didnt have one single building standing, the only remnants were the concrete foundation of what used to be someones house. The height of the waves down there would have been well over 150ft high and this is evidenced by the marks on side of the hills where it stopped and receeded.

The other problem is getting fuel for the smaller machines. At Bander Achey its absolutely pathetic that their is only ONE fuel tanker to cater for all of the fixed wing and helos. The Aussie Huey crews waited over four hours yday for fuel. And if you are not Indonesian then be prepared to wait for quite a while to get fuel. I found that paying a few $50,000 rupiahs to the fuel driver was a good way to get him to attend to you, but depends how many other backhanders he gets also. Now further down the coast there is no way you could leave fuel there. The US Navy are running some Vertols and other machines off their ships but the chances they would supply fuel for civil machines would slim to none. When we landed at Meaulabah it was eye opening. The Tsunami had come across the airport and there were massive big cracks in the runway and a King Air of some sort wrecked on the side of the runway. The distance to Meaulabah from Bander Achey is about 1.4 flying time in the 61 so its quite a ways down there.

At this stage also there are no smaller machines operating down in the disaster area from what I have seen.

Will add some more to this post later.

Ned

P.S. Have got many more pics to add which will give you a real idea of what its like there.

Thanks Ned
Keep the updates and pictures coming when you have the time.

Heliport

rotaryman
10th Jan 2005, 04:02
All U.S Military Helicopter Operations have resumed, after a brief suspension...:ok:

belly tank
10th Jan 2005, 04:52
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200501/r38424_96455.jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200501/r38423_96450.jpg

Mr Toad
10th Jan 2005, 05:12
Great Work Guys
----------------------

To ALL of you who are there from all of us who want to be there with you, you're doing a great job. The information flow is also brilliant as it slightly lessens the frustrations of those of us still waiting; thanks for taking the time to explain the logistics to us even after a shattering days work. We understand, so please keep up the good work.

You are a credit to our profession.

arm the floats
10th Jan 2005, 10:07
The fuel would have to be from 45 gallon drums with the ac carrying there own fuel pumps. 1 drum is an hours flying time for an as350, and even in the heat/humidity should still lift 700-800kgs external payload.
Ned you say 12 villages wiped out to the south,are there any survivors expected down there?

rotornut
10th Jan 2005, 10:13
Monday January 10, 4:14 PM
Helicopter crash, aftershock rock tsunami aid effort

A US helicopter crashed and a strong aftershock struck off Indonesia's traumatised Sumatra island as aid groups struggled to reach survivors of the tsunamis that killed more than 156,000 people around Asia, while rich countries promised debt relief.

At least four crew were injured when a US navy Sea Hawk helicopter carrying aid crashed into a paddy field shortly after dawn as it flew from the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier moored off the Sumatra coast, officials said.

Navy relief operations on the northern tip of Sumatra, where more than 100,000 people were killed in last month's disaster, were briefly suspended following the crash, the cause of which was not immediately known.

US navy spokesman John Bernard said all 10 people on board survived and had been returned to the Lincoln for medical attention.

Dozens of US military aircraft and vessels were rushed to Indonesia, the country worst affected by the December 26 catastrophe, to take part in one of the largest ever international humanitarian operations.

The helicopters have been a lifeline for many people trapped in isolated stretches of coastline obliterated by the full force of the onrushing water.

Despite the unprecedented aid effort, rescue workers fear some survivors in more isolated parts of Aceh may still be awaiting help.

The first United Nations team -- totalling five people -- arrived in the remote west coast town of Meulaboh on Sumatra two weeks after it was almost totally destroyed by the tsunami.

The UN, racing to prevent outbreaks of disease, said it was rushing vaccines to Aceh after confirming a case of measles.

"Vaccinations against measles are a priority," said Shannon Strother of the UN's Children's Fund. "We have already one case of measles confirmed here.

In an ominous reminder of the trigger of the tragedy, a strong earthquake was recorded off Sumatra at 6:18 am (2218 GMT Sunday) close to the site of the massive quake that unleashed the tsunamis, the Hong Kong Observatory said.

The earthquake, with its epicentre initially determined to be at sea about 60 kilometres (40 miles) southwest of Banda Aceh, the capital of Aceh province, was estimated to measure 6.2 on the Richter scale, the observatory said in a statement.

Meanwhile, with billions of dollars already promised in aid, French Finance Minister Herve Gaymard said the Paris Club of creditor nations had also agreed on a moratorium on debt repayments for countries hit by the tsunami.

For a country such as Indonesia, a freeze on its debt payments for 2005 would give Jakarta additional resources for relief and reconstruction "to the tune of three billion dollars, that's not negligible," said the minister.

But shattered survivors said that cash needs to start filtering through to them now, if people are to be able to rebuild their torn lives.

Despite the global outpouring of funds, questions of distribution, logistical coordination and even politics continue to hang over recovery efforts expected to last years.

Local insurgencies also continue to be serious complications in efforts to help Indonesia, where the government said 77,000 people remain missing on Sumatra island, and Sri Lanka.

Rights groups have warned Jakarta's military campaign to crush a long-running rebellion in Aceh and restrictions on aid groups were hindering relief efforts.

But Indonesia's military has made fresh accusations against the separatist rebels, saying they had attempted to interfere with humanitarian efforts.

Colonel Geerhan Lantara, army chief for west Aceh, said a state of emergency declared before the disaster was still needed because the rebels were continuing to fight.

In Sri Lanka where at least 30,718 people died, a bitter row erupted over aid distribution, with Tamil Tiger rebels accusing government soldiers of diverting relief away from the north and eastern areas they control. The government denies the charge.

President Chandrika Kumaratunga acknowledged, however, that she had blocked UN chief Kofi Annan's tour to rebel strongholds over the weekend.

Annan was in the Maldives Monday to see firsthand the damage there, where nine islands have become uninhabitable since the disaster which killed 82 people and left 26 missing.

Annan said in Male that infrastructure destroyed in the tsunami-ravaged regions should not merely be replaced but also improved in what he called "recovery plus".

Malaysia and India announced plans to establish tsunami early warning systems, while Thailand called a regional ministerial meeting to discuss the issue later this month.

Information and technology ministers from all nations affected by the tsunamis would be invited, along with countries such as Japan and the United States which have offered technical expertise, the foreign ministry said.

India, meanwhile, lifted its confirmed death toll by 114 to 10,136 with 5,630 still missing and feared dead.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/050110/1/3pr5r.html

Phoenix Rising
10th Jan 2005, 12:45
Arm the Floats - Very very very unlikely. The following images will basically answer your question. The white squares you see in a lot of the images are the concrete foundations of houses and buildings and the major town is Meaulabah.

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo1.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo2.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo3.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo4.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo5.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo6.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo7.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo8.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo9.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo10.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo11.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo12.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo13.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo14.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo15.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo16.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo17.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo18.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo19.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo20.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo21.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo22.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo23.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo24.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo25.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo26.jpg

DualDriver
10th Jan 2005, 12:53
Hi Guys

Well, I'm also off to do my bit. Going to Sri Lanka on Thursday.

What's the situation like over there??

Will post some photo's when I get there.

Cheers

DD

Phoenix Rising
10th Jan 2005, 12:54
http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo27.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo28.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo29.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo30.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo31.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo32.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo33.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo34.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo35.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo36.jpg

These next few are what touched me. Kids I never ever knew and never heard of but taking these photos brought a few tears to my eyes. Just innocent children caught up in one of historys most disasterous events. May they forever rest in peace.

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo37.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo38.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo39.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo40.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo41.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo42.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo43.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo44.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo45.jpg

Thats all from me for the time being folks. Really hard even looking at these young childrens pics again. Hope they find peace and eternal happiness wherever they might be now. :( :(

Ned.

JT Eagle
10th Jan 2005, 14:02
Someone earlier mentioned C-2 Greyhound(s) from the Lincoln at Medan. A friend of mine in the unit (but back at home base) was desperately after photos of the boys and girls doing their thing or "Tsunami related COD action" as he put it. If anyone has a shot of one of these things in theatre (particularly unloading freight or with local scenery in background) I would really appreciate it . Posted here or a PM to me would be just great. Pretty sure he just wants to see what's up, but definitely for non-commercial purposes.

For those who only recognise helicopters, a C-2 is sort of an overweight half-a-Herc with a big black nose like a dog and assorted colourful US Navy markings. Folding wings, too. "They may be ugly but they're slow".

Cheers,
JT

Ian Corrigible
10th Jan 2005, 18:20
JT,

From the Navy's newstand:

http://www.news.navy.mil/management/photodb/webphoto/web_050109-N-0057P-014.jpg

http://www.news.navy.mil/management/photodb/webphoto/web_050109-N-0057P-008.jpg

http://www.news.navy.mil/management/photodb/webphoto/web_050104-N-1229B-019.jpg

http://www.news.navy.mil/management/photodb/webphoto/web_050104-N-6074Y-113.jpg

http://www.news.navy.mil/management/photodb/webphoto/web_050104-N-6074Y-105.jpg

Cheers,
I/C

HeliEng
10th Jan 2005, 19:09
To all of you guys out there helping,

I have nothing but admiration for you all, you are doing a most amazing thing.

The pictures of the missing adults and children brought tears to my eyes, it is such a great shame.

I so much want to offer more than just a financial contribution.

Keep up the good work guys.

Helieng

"Mad as a mooing fish!"

PK-KAR
10th Jan 2005, 19:13
In case some people wanna see...

Aid aircraft in Medan (http://www.indoflyer.net/indoforum/tm.asp?m=2587)

PK-KAR

West Coast
10th Jan 2005, 20:16
Ahhh, just a flesh wound....

autosync
10th Jan 2005, 20:30
A couple of amazing before during and after Satelite photos here,
again helps emphasise the scale.
SE Asia, satelite photos (http://homepage.mac.com/demark/tsunami/9.html)

JT Eagle
10th Jan 2005, 20:44
Excellent! Cheers!
I had seen the bottom three on the Navy site but the top two must be newer ones. Great stuff. Still happy to see shots of the Mighty COD on the ground in Indonesia or wherever if anyone has them - official or personal photos.

JT

Cyclic Hotline
11th Jan 2005, 03:32
Unbelievable devastation. Amazing pictures. Almost incomprehensible human suffering.

I think this is the King-Air that Ned was referring to in his prior post..

SA tsunami relief workers survive plane crash

January 11, 2005, 05:30

Two members of the South African Global Relief team doing emergency relief work in Meulaboh on the island of Sumatra, Indonesia, survived a crash landing on Sunday, the organisation said in a press release yesterday.

Murray Louw, the Global Relief CEO, and team member Andrew Auld were flying into Meulaboh from the city of Medan when the accident occurred.

"The eight-seater Beach King Aircraft belonging to American Dr Jo Edhlund was doing crucial flights from Medan to the disaster-stricken West coast of the Aceh Province, ferrying much-needed supplies entirely at Edhlund’s own cost," read the release.

Sudden crosswind
"Edhlund and his co-pilot were coming in for a landing at the Meulaboh airstrip when the aircraft skidded off the runway." Louw said that the aircraft first came in for a low fly-over before attempting to land. "There were some trucks and a second aircraft on the runway, which was already damaged as a result of the earthquake.

"There were also water buffalo in the vicinity and a helicopter approaching. A sudden crosswind may have contributed to the accident." Louw said that as the aircraft touched down, it hopped, swirled, hopped again and skidded on its belly off the runway.

"Some members of a Dutch non-governmental organisation, who saw the accident happen, were convinced that the aircraft would roll and described it as a miracle that the pilots and passengers escaped unhurt." - Sapa

John Eacott
11th Jan 2005, 04:48
Vertalop is currently in Bandar Aceh with a Dauphin, and has sent me the helicopter operating routes from the Lincoln. Any genuine operators there with a need for these, please PM and I'll make them available. It's a 1.6mb file, not for general publication.

Cyclic Hotline
11th Jan 2005, 16:10
Helicopter carrying governor crashes in Indonesia, passengers survive

www.chinaview.cn 2005-01-11 18:47:58

JAKARTA, Jan. 11 (Xinhuanet) -- A helicopter carrying a governor and several provincial officials crashed into a house in the Indonesian eastern province of Maluku on Tuesday but nobody was killed in the incident.

The Bell 412 helicopter with seven people onboard was struck bya strong wind just 15 meters from the ground and the efforts to make an emergency landing ended up with the chopper crashing into a house on Wetar island, some 2,300 km east of Jakarta, reported Detikcom online news service.

All passengers survived the incident and only sustained injuries, including Maluku governor Karel Albert Rala Halu, Malukupolice chief Adityawarman and provincial military commander Brig. Gen. Syarifuddin.

A military spokesman was quoted as saying that the incident took place five minutes after the helicopter took off from a soccer field at 11:40 a.m. local time (0340 GMT).

The governor team was conducting an aerial inspection against wood smuggling in small islands near East Timor, the report said. Enditem

Phoenix Rising
12th Jan 2005, 01:43
Found a pic of the bugsmasher that I shot when we were coming in to land. Sorry its not that sharp as it was just a chance shot.

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/kingair.jpg

Steve76
12th Jan 2005, 22:44
Wow! so that's how to find out who the mil boys on the forum are.
No intended critisim of the military, I know it is really hard for you boys to think outside the box. Wait until you get into the civvie world and then you will understand what I mean. Plus I will send a box of beer to any of you that can fly a longline and do it without a crewman.

What is my experience with this sort of matter? Well I have flown two floods in the Nothern Territory of Australia. Seems reasonable to assume a flood is similar to a tsunami. I just couldn't understand why the hand loading was necessary.

Sikhorsey: What does this mean and why do we need to be rude?
Quote:
What is your agenda?

P.S. Work on your aircraft recognition skills mate. For the confusion and annoyance try a dose of humility and understanding. You muppet!

No agenda, what agenda would there be. Maybe just to see a job done efficiently. Hand to hand is not efficient.

What's the bit about "aircraft recognition skills??"
Don't get that at all...

Crab: Thanks for the info on the sling load restrictions. Shame that one incident can cause so much bother. Great to see the SA flag on one of the machines there.

To the aussies who are all upset about the Canadians getting the award for "best all round": IT WAS A GENERALISATION.
I have worked quite a few places on the planet now and this is a fact. The best all round pilots I have met are the Canuks and the Kiwis.

Aussies are superb drivers but not a lot of them do 200ft line work or fly around mountains (for example) Nothing wrong with that, as it is just an operational fact. John down in Melbourne flies a lot of line and hill time but how many of the western or northern guys do that type of work?

If I was putting together a team of guys, I would want the all-rounders. It would be useless to have someone who couldn't word a line or know how to hook up a load or what equipment to use. On average, note AVERAGE, the Canadian guys do lots of that work in BC and Alberta and have a lot of experience with those op's.

Consider also that they have very little to do at the moment and most of the southern hemisphere pilots are gainfully employed. Then it seems a logical choice for looking for talent and machines.

Whatever....

Good onya to the guys out there. Gold star award for a great effort. Thanks for the awesome photo's Ned.

trimpot
13th Jan 2005, 04:14
Nice attempt at back-peddling Steve, the problem is that when you back-peddle you tend to jam your foot further down your throat! Call me Zany, but most of the area affected by the tsunami is flat. The hilly bits, one presumes, were out of harms way so why on earth would you need to do any long lining?:confused:

Phoenix Rising
13th Jan 2005, 05:03
Trimpot - Actually the terrain didnt dictate the loads, the size of some of the loads were dictating that they needed to be longlined in.

A few of the jobs they tried to get the S-61 to do before I left was some water purification plants that were built into trailers, like the sort you would tow behind a landrover and each of these was just under 2 tons each and way too big to be put inside anything. They were even too tall to fit inside the Chinook.

There were a lot of odd sized loads.

Cheers

Ned

Homer_Jay
13th Jan 2005, 08:37
Steve76,

Hand to hand may not be the most efficient way to load but it is effective. I have seen Black Hawk size aircraft loaded this way in about 6 minutes with the only aviation trained folks being the two crewmen. Admittedly, it did then take about another 2-3 minutes to apply the straps.

The big advantage is that the aircraft only needs one external resource to load, a bunch of untrained labour that only requires briefing about the dangers of helicopters.

External loads require nets, strops, trained folks on the ground to assemble the loads, trained folks to hook them on, slower flying speeds, more fuel and some method of returning the equipment.

The military might not be efficient by your standards but you can bet your left one they are effective.

trimpot
13th Jan 2005, 10:40
True Ned, sometimes the loads size and shape dictates that it needs to be slung in, that doesn't mean that it has to be longlined in.:ok:

Phoenix Rising
13th Jan 2005, 17:44
Sorry I should have differentiated between the two :ugh:

Ned. :E

John Eacott
13th Jan 2005, 19:59
I received the following e mail & photos to post, from Vertalop:

My internet connection is rather tenuous so I can't access PPRUNE web pages, only send a quick e-mail.

It's been a very busy day in Bandar Aceh today, with aircraft from the Singapore Armed Forces (Two Chinooks and a Super Puma), the German Navy (Three Sea Kings) the French Army (one Puma), Royal Malaysian Airforce (Two S61 Nuris), Indonesian Airforce (One Puma+), MHS (One S61N), Saba Air (One Bell 212), and Eurocopter (One Dauphin), all competing for refuelling spots on the Indonesian Military hardstand.

The grass parking area had become a mud bath with aircraft sinking in up to the axles and the hardstand a bloodbath as people fight for the attention of the one fuel bowser. The football field has seen the now normal hectic loading of U.S. Seahawk, Australian Blackhawk and UH1 and various other types, while the main apron has had several visits from U.S, CH53s. The U.K. Army contingent of (Bristow/FBH) Bell 212s from Brunei also got airborne from Ozzie lines.

On the fixed wing front the impressive sight of US and UK C17 reversing into their tight parking spots has been incredible.

Tomorrow is going to be even more interesting as the new helicopter air-traffic system is put into operation. All helicopters will refuel on the civilian side of the airport and then reposition to one of three locations on the military side for loading. All helicopter traffic will be co-ordinated by the excellent Australian controllers assisted by the Indonesian ATC. A common frequency of 129.3 will be used for all helicopter movements so that it will not even be necessary to listen out on the tower frequency of 122.2. In fact 129.3 has been in use for all helicopter movements on the military side for some time, but obviously not all pilots are aware of this as various aircraft still turn up unannounced. I think that the change of procedures tomorrow will be a very big surprise for some crews who operate on the civilian side at present and do not attend any of the daily military briefings. The new traffic pattern (for aircraft not coming from the refuel pad) involves crossing the runway at its midpoint and passing overhead the football field at 500ft and then letting down to one of the loading locations in ether a left or right pattern, depending on the wind. Departures will be routed so as to cross the runway centreline at 300ft a safe distance out, thus deconflicting with fixed wing movements.

I'll try and attach a pic of the "TNI Ramp" at 11am today.

Vertalop

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Bandar%20Aceh%20Fuel%20Queue.jpg

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Bandar%20Aceh%20International%20Ops.jpg

Steve76
13th Jan 2005, 23:27
Thanks for the info HomerJ. That is very quick and the guys and gals must be working hard in the heat doing that.

Trimpot, congrats on showing your complete lack of understanding regarding external load operations.

Why would you longline?
Think hard now.....
Here's why:

Have you ever stood under an S61 and hooked up a load?
Have you ever tried to talk underneath the rotorwash?
Have you ever seen the effect of the downwash on loose items?
Have you ever tried to place a load at a doorstep or down into a hole?

Obviously not. The longline option is safer and more practical. In the environment these aircraft could be operating, the line could be used to drop needed supplies into areas that are unavailable for landing and cannot be accessed by road. You manouver a load into a building or down onto a rooftop among aerials, trees etc.

Nothing loose is going to be blown around and the persons on the ground can communicate easily.
There are another dozen reasons that the line would be effective but it is a mute point because they are not going to.

You can thank me later for the free lesson in commonsence.

As for the backpedal. No, I am not backpeddling.

We all have strengths and weaknesses. You mil guys just cannot think for youselves and it is a sentiment repeated throughout the commercial world. If other commercial guys here were more open they would repeat the same comments. FACT.

Nobody dispises you for it; you just need to get out of the military to realise it. We all paid for your training and will have to give you more to make you workable.

I really don't give a flying **** what you blokes think because sooner or later you will need to find a job doing something useful and persons on this forum will have to give it to you.
Other than that you will end up in CASA, TC or CAA with all the others who couldn't hack it.

Ned, sorry for hijacking this thread with this BS. Thanks for the photos and good on the guys working there.

This is my last work on this ridiculous argument.

Heliport
13th Jan 2005, 23:49
Against the background of the biggest single human tragedy in living memory, does it really matter who thinks whose country has the best/most experienced helicopter pilots?

Pilots from many different countries are out there doing their best to relieve the suffering. If they have the time and energy to argue national rivalries, mil/civil etc and can be bothered, good luck to them, but it seems a bit silly to be arguing about such things and making abusive personal comments here.

Let's move on.

Heliport

helmet fire
14th Jan 2005, 00:00
Fantastic job over there guys. Well done all. Love the photos Nev.

Re the Steve comments, I agree in principle with Steve (though the nationality stuff is a bit much mate), but perhaps it needs to be said with a tad more diplomacy, and both sides might give a little?

Longline is the most efficient method of transportation for these situations. Hills, falt land, flood, terrain, and other factors included. Longline enables the machine to stay up and out of the danger areas, it keeps the tail and main rotors well off the ground, it reduces the downwash issues (particularly important in such debris littered areas) and it makes rushing the aircraft an impossibility. It allows the pilot to maintain visual on load put downs and pick ups reducing the chances of injury to loaders and especially the anxious recipients. It allows the load to be well away from the aircraft should it not fly correctly. It allows more weight per turn due to the probability of food aid bulking out the cargo area before exceeding the weight capability of the aircraft (particularly for the Black Hawk and Chinook. And it allows a vast reduction in turn times. All bonuses.

As for the loading issues, it is not hard to rig the line with a remote hook (and all specialist longliners would have this capability). Nets are prepped in the loading area by non trained guys under supervision of a trained load master (for weight, dynamics, etc) and then the helicopter positions over the load at over 100ft. The nets are rigged and connected such that at the delivery end when the remote release is activated only one side of the net releases. With a multi channel capable system, you can use one activation to relaease one side of the net, and a second could release the whole net if needed. A very gentle pull up allows the goods to gently leave the net, and the aircraft returns to base with the net and remote hook weighing the line down. If using a keflar or synthetic line, then you could land and gather the line in somewhere remote, then return. Upon return, you set the the empty net down ready to be reloaded, move across and you are away with the next net in under 2 minutes. Jobs requiring multiple drops could simply be achieved by smaller helicopters releasing the larger ones for the higher tonnages.

Using this method, the aircraft only requires a pilot and loadmaster as opposed to the four or five required by the military system creating a much smaller logistic tail for support personnel.

To give a personal example a civilian Kiwi pilot Steve Robertson was flying a 206L in East Timor for Hevilift in about 1999 when there was a severe flood in West Timor. In one day, working next to a Portugese Military Super Puma, Steve and his loadmaster achieved almost 20,000 kg of rice moved, and even stopped on a return trip to dunk the empty line into a swollen river to rescue a bloke he noticed struggling in the floodwaters and pulled him to shore! The Super Puma moved just under 21,000 kg in the same period (and no river rescues).

The military do not practice long lining as a rule because doing a 100 or 200 ft line is liable to get you shot out of the sky in a tactical environment. BIG minuses!! So when they get to a disaster area like this one, they have to rely on belly hook and internal load, and they do a great job of it. They can bring a logistics support chain to the party like no civilian is able to do in terms of fuel, engineering, protection, communications, operations, and coordination centres.

So the Military are invaluable in meeting the intial requirements of such disaster, establishing staging points, planning action strategies, ensuring logistics flows, base operations facilities, refuel points, and even mapping and appreciation of the overall requirements. But once these issues are overcome, only then do I agree with Steve, a civilian operator can do the load moving part of the operation more efficiently. Not "better" but more efficient. Ideally, the civvies work under the direct guidance of the established military infrastructure in the same way a fork lift might slot into operations - a means by which they can achieve load movement at max efficiency whilst using the fewest human and material resources. The released military aircraft can get on with the command and liasion aspects, recces, protection, troop movement, and reaching untouched areas to establish response plans. All stuff they can achieve much more efficiently.

In short, the Military are doing a fantastic job, and maybe they could increase effectiveness now by employing load shifting specialists.

Tynecastle
14th Jan 2005, 14:07
Steve76,
What military are you referring to!!!!
I think if you spent some time with the Royal Navy or RAF on real rescues you might have a different outlook on what they do, long lining is an art, but it pales in comparison to what some of the rescue boys are doing.
Think about it Steve, flying in horrendous conditions in the N Sea or Atlantic to a lone Trawler, getting the crew aboard and then trying to get back to the nearest point on land before the low level lights come on.
I have worked with some great long line pilots in Canada, probably the best in the industry, some would say, but put them in an IFR 61 or 332 out of Halifax or in the North Sea and they were lost.
Why don't you give some respect to people like yourself, who are out there doing the job to the best of their abilities.

Razor61
15th Jan 2005, 04:08
Watching ITV news earlier this evening i see that the Indonesian government have changed their mind in letting the UK help them with the relief effort.
Originally they would not allow any British forces to help in the search for bodies or relief transport to the area with Chatham and Dilligence being confined to Sri Lanka and lettting the USN do the majority of the relief transport in Aceh.

However, the Indonesian Government have had a change of heart and allowed the AAC to provide the Bells currently based in Brunei to provide air support for the aid effort in the province.

An ITV crew were allowed onboard the Hueys as they (two of) provided aid supplies to the hard hit province. All the crews are apparently on leave and put their names forward to help anyway they could. So, officially being on 'holiday' they are now flying in and out of the area several times daily providing much needed help. Looking at the footage, a few land rovers ae also present in transfering personnel and aid to and from the helo's.

Brilliant to see our AAC boys helping out aswell as the RN in the Indian Ocean. Was really good seeing this footage, especially the interview with the AAC guys out there from Brunei who are on their holidays and have cancelled this to go and help.

Thomas coupling
15th Jan 2005, 07:56
Thanks Ned for getting the pics back to us 'outsiders' here in the UK. You've earned honourary membership on here for life!

Both MIL and CIVVY operators out there - job (most professionally) well done - just have those pangs of guilt/jealousy not being involved:ugh:

vertalop
16th Jan 2005, 01:26
http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Bandar%20Aceh%201a.jpg

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Bandar%20Aceh%205a.jpg

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Calang%20Devastation%202a.jpg

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Meulaboh%2011a.jpg

trimpot
16th Jan 2005, 02:25
Oh Steve don't take your bat and ball and go home! Your posts are normally great; maybe you are just having a bad week at work this week.:\

I do agree with your points re long lining and I think that helmet fire summed it up beautifully. However if you don't have the specialized gear it becomes a bit harder (eg. how do you get your nets and strops back?). With big stuff like a water purification plant you are probably going to have to land to set the thing up or drop off someone who will. No argument that long lining is very efficient if you have the good gear and if you are moving bulk goods. Efficient but not always necessary.

No doubt the military guys there are working their guts out and doing the best they can with the equipment they have (and doing a sterling job from what I've seen). I think it's a bit rough to be critisizing them when sitting in front of your nice dry and clean computer and then spit the chewy when some one has a dig back at you:{ .

By the way I'm a civvy:ok:

vertalop
16th Jan 2005, 02:36
The day of the new helicopter procedures came and it was chaotic, but it [sort of] worked. The initial problem was that the pilot's info packs did not come ashore from the carrier until well after flying had commenced on the day, and it was a foggy start as well. By midday most helicopters seemed to have got the idea, although certain continental army of the air formations seemed totally oblivious to the procedures and unable to understand the clear and concise Ozzie ATC instructions. There was much frustration in the tower as helicopters infringed the fixed wing pattern, acknowleged ATC instructions and then totally disregarded them. At the end of the day there were no accidents and the new traffic pattern is much safer, once everyone is using it properly.

I have a copy of the new helicopter procedures for Bandar Aceh airport, which includes all the reporting points down to Meulaboh, the altitudes to be used, radio calls to be made, frequencies for loading areas etc etc. It is ESSENTIAL that anyone who plans to arrive in the area in a helicopter, or in a fixed wing operating at helicopter levels, is aware of these. The sky along the north west coast of Sumatra is black with aviation machinery, considerable caution is required.
Please feel free to P.M. me if you need a briefing. Anyone using a Garmin 295/III+/V I can let you have the file to download to your unit which contains most of the info, although I make no guarantee of its accuracy!

Some of us are lucky enough to be TCAS equipped; it is a big help if all aircraft flying in the area squawk 0100 (or any code for that matter) with mode C, as this assists in collision avoidance.

If I may make some comment on the underslung load discussion (and I have stood under an S61 and hooked on loads, and I have carried one or two long line loads in my time):
The nature of the task is to supply food and water to hundreds of isolated pockets of people. Sometimes there are only a few people at each location who have set up flags to show their location. It would be totally inflexible to send a large sling load to each location.
I don't know how pre-arranged the Seahawk drops are, but it appears that an aircraft loads up and then visits several drop zones catering to the requirements of the individual groups, having determined what those requirements are by talking face to face with the recipients.
I'm sure there are some major drop zones that would benefit from sling loads, but in many places it is just not practical.

Vertalop

Thanks very much for the updates and pictures from the 'front line'.
As you can tell from the posts and the number of views of this thread (19,600+ to date), we're all very interested to learn what's going on from people helping there like you and Ned, and there are many Rotorheads ready willing and able to drop everything and come out to join you if/when more helicopter pilots are required.

Keep us posted whenever you can and, above all, fly safe.

Heliport

OHALLY
16th Jan 2005, 04:34
Multiple drops seem to be a hang up when long lining. Why not use a cairasole with multiple remote hooks like those siesmic drivers do?

helmet fire
16th Jan 2005, 07:06
I'm not there vertaloop, so I defer to your comments.

A small machine can be used to sling several different loads around, and release one at each point. Another small machine could be flying around with coordinators ascertaining need and managing the load placements. But that relies on coordination, good comms, etc, etc, few of which I imagine exist. What I was trying to say earlier is that the Military continue to do what you suggest, and as they establish needs, wants, and GPS locations, etc, a machine is used to long line deliver the goods with a specialist long liner because it is so much safer and more efficient. But as the military are generally in charge of these things, they may not think to use this more efficient method.

What are you doing over there Vertaloop? Thanks for the updates, it builds a good picture of the hectic effort going on over there. Keep up the good work.

vertalop
16th Jan 2005, 07:09
Brunei Armed Forces Blackhawks Arrive in the Fog
http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Brunei%20Blackhawks%20arrive%201.jpg

Sunrise on the TNI Apron
http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Friday%20Sunrise%201.jpg

An Indonesian Registered Bell 427
http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Indonesian%20427%201.jpg

Dauphin Sinks into the Mud
http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Sinking%20Dauphin%201.jpg

South African Bell 407
http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/South%20African%20407%201.jpg

The Civil Apron at Bandar Aceh
http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Civil%20Apron%201.jpg

The MHS S61N crew have been camping in the TNI (Indonesian Armed Forces) Hangar underneath the remains of a Hawk (?) Jet. Morning abolutions take place in a tented arrangement shared with all the TNI soldiers and leave a lot to be desired to say the least. The flying can be very frustrating with tasking snafus, fuelling delays, landing site closures due to VIP sightseeing trips, but these guys are still smiling. They represent the very best in the helicopter community and deserve every tribute.

Saturday 15 January 2005 6:45am
http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/MHS%20Crew%20Wake%20Up%201.jpg

The good news is that they may be moving into a house with a bit of privacy and someone to do the laundry while they are out there doing the biz!

Heliport
16th Jan 2005, 12:02
http://www.pprune.biz/aads/ppruneappeal2.us.gif (http://www.dec.org.uk)

Gabra1
16th Jan 2005, 14:53
The MHS S61N crews (8X) who have now been in Banda Aceh for two weeks have volunteered to stay on at least until the end of the month.

I'm afraid those who have kindly volunteered to assist will have to wait a bit longer for a piece of the action.

RDRickster
17th Jan 2005, 16:50
http://money.cnn.com/2005/01/17/technology/virus_tsunami.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

Folks, be careful where your money goes! However, aid dollars are still needed.

Thanks for posting the warning, RD. :ok:
PPRuNe recommends donating to the Tsunami Earthquake Appeal via DEC (the Disasters Emergency Fund). Not a scam, and no problems reported.
People wishing to donate can do so on-line by clicking on the link below.

Heliport

http://www.pprune.biz/aads/ppruneappeal2.us.gif (http://www.dec.org.uk)

Heliport
22nd Jan 2005, 21:03
AFP News agency US preparing to scale down Aceh relief operations

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia - The US navy is preparing to scale down its tsunami relief operations in Aceh after three weeks of crucial helicopter missions, a senior officer said Saturday.

“We’re kind of in a transition phase right now,” Captain Larry Burt, commander of the air wing aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, told AFP. “We have not gotten orders to leave yet.”

He said command and control facilities had already been withdrawn back to the Abraham Lincoln from Aceh. “We’re reduced our footprint,” Burt said.

US helicopters are currently continuing to perform the same number of relief missions but, in preparation for a departure, the navy is providing the United Nations and militaries from other nations with information on landing zones and flight patterns, he said.
“We’re trying to get the UN helicopters and some of the other countries’ helicopters here to join in and allow us to turn it over to them so we can go.”

Since their mercy mission began at the start of January, US navy helicopters have flown more than 1,220 trips, according to Lieutenant Commander John Bernard.

The helicopters have been vital in getting aid to isolated survivors along Aceh’s west coast. Many areas are still unreachable by land with roads destroyed in the tsunamis yet to be repaired.

US marine helicopters from the USS Bonhomme Richard have also been operating further down the coast from Banda Aceh, delivering aid in and around the key town of Meulaboh.

The vessel has now left the area and has been replaced by another amphibious assault ship, the USS Essex.

Chris Lom, of the intergovernmental International Organization for Migration, said a US withdrawal even within a week’s time would ”not necessarily” create a problem for the aid distribution.

However, it would lead to a reshuffle of some aid distribution channels.
“We’ll have to start putting more stuff on boats,” said Lom, whose organization has been in charge of organizing the transport of nearly all non-military donations reaching Aceh since the December 26 tsunami.

Auto Relight
22nd Jan 2005, 22:53
Not to beat the point to death, but I don't think longlining can be beaten for efficiency or saftey. Maybe Steve was having a "bad" day, but his points are all practical and correct. (nationality stuff aside)

As to the military, I am sure the men and women over there are working their guts out, but the fact of the matter is that they are nowhere near as efficeint as civi operators. To the guy using to North Sea rescue arguement, flying a stablized machine overflowing with automated systems and crew can be learned. As to your long-liners who would be lost, well, I think we are all lost at the beginning of any new experience, but the hands and feet skills are already there mate.

The military were kicked off the fires in Western Canada two years ago, not properly trained for the job at hand, really lacking in capability and operational restrictions that made them near useless. Then again, I'm pretty sure if us civi guys went out buzzing around Iraq, we'd be in for some surprises too.

AR

Cyclic Hotline
24th Jan 2005, 00:17
Two helicopter parts netted at the airport

Sunday, January 23, 2005, 15:18 GMT, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.

Jan 23, Colombo: Two unassembled helicopters, which arrived with tsunami aid supplies, have been taken into custody by airport authorities at the Bandaranaike International Airport.

Sources said the importers had not gotten Defence Ministry or Civil Aviation Authority permission and the parts were confiscated as ‘a potential threat to national security’.

They had been packed in several boxes and imported into the country, sources said. Soon after the recovery, the Air Force took over the parts until the investigation is completed.

DualDriver
24th Jan 2005, 07:25
Cylcic Hotline

Do you know what parts for what helicopter this is? I'm operating a Puma out here and I'm awaiting a windscreen (had a birdstrike last week, hit an Eagle after take off at 110 knots in the climb)

Hope we're not going to have trouble with that now. There is also a King Air 300 out here that couldn't get a 2nd transponder through customs. Seems like this is starting to become a problem.

Tynecastle
24th Jan 2005, 08:45
If there is a call for longlining in BA , they will not have to look very far, Pelita, the Indonesian company have an operation north of Medan on Sumatra, they operate 332s for Mobil [ I assume they are still there ]
Okanagan had a crew over there in the late 80s teaching the Pelita pilots to Longline, some of them turned out to be naturals.
When the Okie crews finished, one of the expat pilots there was selected to be the training pilot for longlining.

Any of the guys over there in Aceh seen any Pelita aitcraft, haven't heard any mention of them.

AR, The Bristow machines on SAR have autohover and all the other goodies, but I doubt if the RAF or RN Seakings have.
As you know the Military are not held in high esteem in Canadian civillian aviation circles, I was trying to point out that that is not the case in other countries.
Cheers,
PR

John Eacott
24th Jan 2005, 09:32
Tynecastle,

The Westland Sea King has an excellent auto hover: that's how it plies its trade as an all weather ASW platform! It followed on from the Wessex HAS1 and HAS3, both of which were also auto hover back in the mid 60's, but was a more refined and reliable piece of kit.

Not much new under the sun ;)

Now, back OT: any of the workers in the Tsunami areas got any photos or updates? :)

Tynecastle
24th Jan 2005, 12:02
John E,
Was that standard on the Seakings or an option? never involved with Seakings but saw a converted A model and it had the standard 61 set up.
Cheers,
PR

John Eacott
24th Jan 2005, 21:38
TC,

Standard on all Westland Sea Kings: also incorporated a crewman's hover trim control, about 10% authority IIRC.

Phoenix Rising
24th Jan 2005, 22:21
Tynecastle - There was a Pelita Puma at Medan when we were on our way through there but all it was doing was carrying some VIPS around and was decked out in a VIP config.

Ned

P.S. Am home now but going back to BA straight after Heli Expo, leaving direct from LAX to HK and then Jakarta to jump on a Herc up to BA.

These are a few pics from a friend at Heli Harvest here in NZ, they have a Mil-8 working up there.

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/b1.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/b2.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/b3.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/b4.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/b5.jpg

emergov
25th Jan 2005, 02:36
Long lining is a great idea, but there are far bigger issues surrounding the distribution of aid than whether one group of pilots has better hands and feet than another.

Over the last three days, there have been 350, 280 and 320 helo movements to Banda Aceh afld. There would have been at least 30% more if there was a fast, reliable way to get fuel for the civilian and some of the mil helos here. (about 1/2 the mil helos have their own refuel capability - FRP or ship)

The USN have been extremely well organised, and along with USAID have been running a superb PZ operation, loading internally by hand - and turning around about 50 helos a day. Other mil acft are being loaded at the Indonesian Military ramp, and loading ops are also conducted quite quickly, but in a more chaotic manner. The limiting factor is having to wait for fuel.

Underslinging loads would not significantly improve matters, because of the real estate available, the extreme volume of FW heavy traffic, and the lack of trained pers to pack the loads. Even if they were available, the state of command and control for the helo effort would lead to us achieving pretty much the same ROE. Add to that the difficulties in retrieving the ADE (landings required), and the amount of mud and corruption in all the LZ, and the long line / ext load option is not worth pursuing. Not to mention that Meulaboh is an hours flying from BA.

I get the feeling that some posters on this forum don't appreciate the scale of ops, amount of chaos and crappy conditions that all the crews here are working under.

The big issues to be sorted are getting the FW traffic flowing well, and processing the aid to RW, getting fuel sorted out - hot refuelling is a must - and getting sufficient parking and maintenance areas available especially for the civ operators. Once those issues are under control (and the mil will probably have departed by then) you can worry about longlining - and get enough riggers in country to rig and retrieve the nets from the approx 35 LZ we are operating into - 200 trips a day.

By the way - there are about 46 helos here, and up until the 15 Jan, there were about 6 civ helos - all of them local. The previous post ref the military not being able to respond quickly enough is just not true - a Carrier group was the fastest way to get aid to the region. The next people in BA were the Aust military - 5 Jan. First coordinated civilian helo response was the SA effort, which is still flowing in, and started on 15 Jan.

Good to see so many helo good blokes posting and keeping an interest. Saw Ned the other day - top pics.

Gabra1
25th Jan 2005, 07:49
Phoenix Rising and Tynecastle:

I was in BA yesterday and saw a Pelita 412EP on the civilian ramp.

Emergov:

"there were about 6 civ helos - all of them local."

I am pretty sure there are more than 6 civil helos and not all local. I know of at least 4 from Malaysia: MHS's S61N and 355F2, Sabah Air's 212 and Eurocopter Malaysia's 365N.

First coordinated civilian helo response was the SA effort, which is still flowing in, and started on 15 Jan.

I wonder what you mean by "first coordinated"? The S61N, Bell 212 and 365N (all civilian) have been working in Medan and Banda Aceh since early Jan.

Phoenix Rising posted pictures of the S61N on Jan 10!

Phoenix Rising
25th Jan 2005, 07:51
Emergov - Are you sure you are at the right place. The South African effort was NOT the first civil response and in fact there were no local machines in BA when WE got there in MHS's S-61, apart from an Indonesia Police quartet of BO-105s and a 412 which were over on the civil side. Am happy to show you the pics of the helos on the TNI apron if you wish.

A couple of days after we got there Sabah Air arrived with their 212, actually it followed us up to BA on our second trip from Medan. Then a 212 from NUH turned up for a couple of days doing some work for AUS and NZ Aid NGOs. When we went back to medan for the third time it was then that the South African 407s had arrived and in fact when we departed for BA in the morning they were just getting ready to do their first flight north to BA which was to take some VIPs up to have a look around. When I had left they hadnt even repositioned to BA.

To add a little bit more Eurocopter Malaysia had their Dauphin there running supplies and people back and forth to Meaulaboh for the Red Cross. So recapping MHS and EC Malaysia were the first civil helos there in BA apart from the Indo Police and the 412.

Just wanted to make sure credit was given where its due. For any Aussie military guys here on the forum caught up with James Brown at BA and he was working hard. Their Hueys were doing some great work alongside the Seahawks.

Ned

Heliport
25th Jan 2005, 07:57
Ned

Any chance of some pics before you set off again?

We're all very interested in what's happening, and it's great to get it first hand from Rotorheads members in the thick of the action.

Thanks

Heliport

Phoenix Rising
25th Jan 2005, 08:32
Here are some images I am hosting for Gabra1. The things being loaded into the back of the BO105 are coffins and the orange bag on the side of the road in Aceh township is a body bag so they are still getting bodies out, now nearly a month after the Tsunami hit.

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/indo105.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/aceh1.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/aceh2.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/aceh3.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/aceh4.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/aceh5.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/aceh6.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/aceh7.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/aceh8.jpg

Gabra1
25th Jan 2005, 08:44
Silberfuchs:

At the moment, highly unlikely. It will depend on whether the Red Cross still need us to be there. Otherwise, we will be flying home on 4th Feb.

We flew in fresh crews to BA in our Beech 1900D yesterday and brought home the worn out ones who have been there for the last 3 weeks.

Once again, many thanks to all the volunteers.

emergov
26th Jan 2005, 02:16
Ned,

sorry about that - I was a bit hazy on the in-fill. I was really talking about the first coordinated group of civ helos - organised by the UN, I believe, but there are also small fleets operated by UNHCR (Swiss Air Force), and UNICEF, I believe.

All the crews here are doing an outstanding job, and it is a testament to everyone's airmanship that things have gone so smoothly.

Phoenix Rising
26th Jan 2005, 08:19
Emergov - Dont worry about it, when I get back there straight after Heli Expo I will give you the correct facts over a beer (thats if we can find one there :{ )

I plan on arriving back into Bander Achey on the 10th, might be sooner as will bug out of Heli Expo on the night it closes, or maybe the day before. If anyone working in BA wants anything from Heli Expo drop me a PM and will bring it back with me.

Cheers

Ned.

Ozgrade3
10th Feb 2005, 07:53
EXTRACT FROM DOUG COPP'S ARTICLE ON THE "TRIANGLE OF LIFE", Edited by
Larry Linn for MAA Safety Committee brief on 4/13/04.

http://www.amerrescue.org/

My name is Doug Copp. I am the Rescue Chief and Disaster Manager of the
American Rescue Team International (ARTI), the world's most experienced
rescue team. The information in this article will save lives in an
earthquake.

I have crawled inside 875 collapsed buildings, worked with rescue teams
from 60 countries, founded rescue teams in several countries, and I am a
member of many rescue teams from many countries. I was the United
Nations expert in Disaster Mitigation for two years. I have worked at
every major disaster in the world since 1985, except for simultaneous
disasters.

In 1996 ! we made a film which proved my survival methodology to be
correct.

The Turkish Federal Government, City of Istanbul, University of Istanbul
Case Productions and ARTI cooperated to film this practical, scientific
test. We collapsed a school and a home with 20 mannequins inside. Ten
mannequins did "duck and cover," and ten mannequins I used in my
"triangle of life" survival method. After the simulated earthquake
collapse we crawled through the rubble and entered the building to film
and document the results. The film, in which I practiced my survival
techniques under directly observable, scientific conditions, relevant to
building collapse, showed there would have been zero percent survival
for those doing duck and cover. There would likely have been 100 percent
survivability for people using my method of the "triangle of life." This
film has been seen by millions of viewers on television in Turkey and
the rest of Europe, an! d it was seen in the USA, Canada and Latin America
on the TV progra m Real TV.

The first building I ever crawled inside of was a school in Mexico City
during the 1985 earthquake. Every child was under their desk. Every
child was crushed to the thickness of their bones. They could have
survived by lying down next to their desks in the aisles. It was
obscene, unnecessary and I wondered why the children were not in the
aisles. I didn't at the time know that the children were told to hide
under something.

Simply stated, when buildings collapse, the weight of the ceilings
falling upon the objects or furniture inside crushes these objects,
leaving a space or void next to them. This space is what I call the
"triangle of life". The larger the object, the stronger, the less it
will compact. The less the object compacts, the larger the void, the
greater the probability that the person who is using this void for
safety will not be injured. The next time you watch collapsed buildings,
on t! elevision, count the "triangles" you see formed. They are
everywhere. It is the most common shape, you will see, in a collapsed
building. They are everywhere.

TEN TIPS FOR EARTHQUAKE SAFETY

1) Most everyone who simply "ducks and covers" WHEN BUILDINGS
COLLAPSE are crushed to death. People who get under objects,
like desks or cars, are crushed.

2) Cats, dogs and babies often naturally curl up in the fetal
position. You should too in an earthquake. It is a natural
safety/survival instinct. You can survive in a smaller void.
Get next to an object, next to a sofa, next to a large bulky
object that will compress slightly but leave a void next to
it.

3) Wooden buildings are the safest type of construction to be in
during an earthquake. Wood is flexible and moves with the
force of the earthquake. If the wooden building does collapse, large
survival voids are created.
Also, the wooden building has less concentrated, crushing weight.
Brick buildings will
break into individual bricks. Bricks will cause many injuries
but less squashed bodies than concrete slabs.

4) If you are in bed during the night and an earthquake occurs,
simply roll off the bed. A safe void will exist around the
bed. Hotels can achieve a much greater survival rate in
earthquakes, simply by posting a sign on the back of the door
of every room telling occupants to lie down on the floor, next
to the bottom of the bed during an earthquake.

5) If an earthquake happens and you cannot easily escape by
getting out the door or window, then lie down and curl up in
the fetal position next to a sofa, or large chair.

6) Most everyone who gets under a doorway when buildings collapse
is killed.

How? If you stand under a doorway and the doorjamb falls fo! rward or
backward you will be crushed by the ceiling above. If the door jam falls
sideways you will be cut in half by the doorway. In either case, you
will be killed!

7) Never go to the stairs. The stairs have a different "moment of
frequency" (they swing separately from the main part of the
building). The stairs and remainder of the building
continuously bump into each other until structural failure of
the stairs takes place. The people who get on stairs before
they fail are chopped up by the stair treads - horribly
mutilated. Even if the building doesn't collapse, stay away
from the stairs. The stairs are a likely part of the building
to be damaged. Even if the stairs are not collapsed by the
earthquake, they may collapse later when overloaded by fleeing
people. They should always be checked for safety, even when
the rest of the building is n! ot damaged.

8) Get Near the Outer Walls Of Buildings Or O utside Of Them If
Possible - It is much better to be near the outside of the
building rather than the interior. The farther inside you are
from the outside perimeter of the building the greater the
probability that your escape route will be blocked;

9) People inside of their vehicles are crushed when the road
above falls in an earthquake and crushes their vehicles; which
is exactly what happened with the slabs between the decks of
the Nimitz Freeway. The victims of the San Francisco
earthquake all stayed inside of their vehicles. They were all
killed. They could have easily survived by getting out and
sitting or lying next to their vehicles. Everyone killed would
have survived if they had been able to get out of their cars
and sit or lie next to them. All the crushed cars had voids 3
feet high next to them, except for the cars that ha! d columns
fall directly across them.

10) I discovered, while crawling inside of collapsed newspaper
offices and other offices with a lot of paper, that paper
does not compact. Large voids are found surrounding stacks of
paper.

Spread the word and save someone's life...

vertalop
13th Feb 2005, 11:34
I have returned to the outside world with some haunting memories of people who have lost everything still struggling to survive. I hope that the work we did, which was just a drop in the ocean, made some of their lives a little better and I thank the volunteer crew of F-OICR for all their hard work and undiminished enthusiasm in difficult circumstances.

I attach pics of some of the landing sites that we visited and where helicopters are still making life possible for the survivors who continue to live there.

Vert.

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Aceh%20Puma%20029.jpg

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Aceh%20Puma%20050.jpg

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Aceh%20Puma%20075.jpg

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Aceh%20Puma%20080.jpg

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Aceh%20Puma%20089.jpg

vertalop
14th Feb 2005, 00:48
Ned arrived in Banda Aceh on Friday and we managed to do some air-to-air shots of the Puma in action. Don't those 355s go slowly! He's been busy over the weekend so I gather that we can also expect some formation shots of the South African 407s when he gets back to his Internet connection.

Watch this space!

Vert

slizer58
14th Feb 2005, 04:53
Keep up the good work.

Milt
14th Feb 2005, 06:02
Pictures of the origin of the Tsunami.

Is anyone able to post recently obtained underwater photos of the disturbances to the seabed resulting from the earthquake.??

The Java Trench goes deep to about 5,000 metres close to the coast of Summatra. Understand that the epi-centre of the quake was deep in the Java Trench.

Heliport
14th Feb 2005, 06:02
Thanks for the pics Vert. :ok:

Although it must have seemed like an impossible task given the scale of the devastation, you personally must have saved many lives which would have otherwise have been lost in the aftermath.

Look forward to seeing more pics from you (if you've got any more) and from Ned.

Heliport

vertalop
15th Feb 2005, 00:40
To be honest I don't think that our modest contribution has directly saved any lives, but indirectly I hope that we helped.

I have to say that the apparent rivalry between various NGOs and even between different branches of the same NGO was a big disappointment. When a helicopter is not required for the day you would think that a request from a branch of the same (major international) organization from a different country would be granted without a moment's hesitation; sadly this is far from the case. However, the lovely lady in this photo is a gleaming exception. She is Dr Jemilah Mahmood the head of Mercy Malaysia. (Some may remember that she was shot while taking medicines to a children's hospital in Baghdad during the war.) Not only do many of the orphans in her camps look upon her as a surrogate mother, but she also manages to take care of helicopter crews that have been abandoned by the organisation they are supposed to be working with! Living alongside Jemilah and her volunteers was an inspiration and if anyone is wondering about a good cause to support then I have no hesitation in recommending Mercy Malaysia.

Vert.
http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/Mercy%20Malaysia.jpg

Phoenix Rising
15th Feb 2005, 01:49
Here is a large selection of images shot over the past week while I have been in Banda Acey. They include the ride into BA, helos around the place working, incl Vertalop and Gabra1 flying the Puma, South African 407s and the one of the tall concrete tower with two guys standing at the bottom is right on the BA waterfront. There used to be a large ball of sorts on the top but the wave was over the top of this and knocked it off, gives you an idea of why the damage is so bad and so far inland. Any questions, just ask.

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu1.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu2.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu3.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu4.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu5.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu6.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu7.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu8.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu9.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu10.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu11.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu12.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu13.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu14.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu15.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu16.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu17.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu18.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu19.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu20.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu21.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu22.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu23.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu24.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu25.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu26.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu27.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu28.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu29.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu30.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu31.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu32.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu33.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu34.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu35.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu36.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu37.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu38.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu39.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu40.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu41.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu42.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu43.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu44.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu45.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu46.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu47.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu48.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu49.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu50.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu51.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu52.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu53.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu54.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu55.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu56.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu57.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu58.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu59.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu60.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu61.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu62.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu63.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu64.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu65.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu66.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu67.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu68.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu69.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu70.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu71.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu72.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu73.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu74.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu75.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu76.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu77.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu78.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu79.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu80.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu81.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu82.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu83.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu84.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu85.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu86.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu87.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu88.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu89.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu90.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu91.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu92.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu93.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu94.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu95.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu96.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu97.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu98.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu99.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu100.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu101.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu102.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu103.jpg

http://www.heliopsmag.com/pictures/tsu104.jpg

Heliport
15th Feb 2005, 18:37
Thanks again to Ned, Vertalop and Gabra 1 for keeping us updated.

Your commentary and photographs give us an amazing insight into the scale of the devastation, and the efforts to bring relief to the people suffering.

Heliport

Gabra1
16th Feb 2005, 15:24
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Gabra1/DSC07700.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Gabra1/fef3a9cb.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Gabra1/DSC07803.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Gabra1/DSC07802.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Gabra1/DSC07384.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Gabra1/DSC07670.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Gabra1/DSC07737.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Gabra1/DSC07778.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Gabra1/DSC07789.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Gabra1/3c6a4ce6.jpg

moosp
17th Feb 2005, 13:23
Ned,

Thank you for putting these brilliant images out into the public forum. For all that the rest of the media have tried to show us the devastation, somehow your shots bring in the enormity and reality of the destruction. Perhaps the juxtaposition of our familiar machines with the remnants of a coastal society is a reason.

As we strive for the ultimate professionalism in our own industry, it is warming to see another in his own who aims for the same.

Thanks again.

Cyclic Hotline
11th Apr 2005, 05:20
Damaged Air Serv Helicopter Evacuated to Aceh Air Force Base

Saturday, 09-April-2005, 14:31:45

Banda Aceh, Waspada - Air Serv International's helicopter Bell 212, which had to make emergency landing at Ladong village when latest big earthquake hit Sumatra (28/3), has been evacuated to Indonesian Air Force base at Blang Bintang, Aceh Besar. The badly damaged helicopter airlifted on Monday (3/4) using UN Mi 8 helicopter.

The Air Serv helicopter incident, as reported by Waspada on Tuesday, happened when Sumatra island hit by latest earthquake on 28 March. The chopper rented by the US NGO from local companies to conduct rescue mission. When the earthquake hit the island, at 23:55 the chopper left the airport without getting permission from airport authorities, as officially the air base had been closed on that night. Even worse they didn't give any response when contacted by air controller.

''The chopper currently parked at apron shelter of Sultan Iskandar Muda air base. We can't let the crew go yet until the chopper owner arrived,'' Lt. Col. Ahmad Sajili, the air base commander, told Waspada. The chopper made emergency landing in mountain area of Ladong village, sub-district of Masjid Raya, Aceh Besar, because of experiencing technical problems. All of the 4 crews are safe.

According to Aceh branch of PT Angkasa Pura II, the airport operator, airport staff were waiting for the helicopter until 03.00 the next day. On the morning, Air Serv staff told them that the chopper has to leave without any notification because of the emergency situation. They want to monitor situation on the Aceh beaches after the earthquakes.

''They want make sure whether there are tsunami or not. Despite their noble intention, we still gave them a serious warning,'' said Angkasa Pura head T Darmansah.

The emergency landing location reported as isolated and hard to reach. On Monday (4/4), Indonesian soldier from Koramil 05 Krueng Raya has been dispatched to the area to make inspection, but they wouldn't arrived at the location until the next two or three days. The area is only accessible on foot. © sh

SkySista
11th Apr 2005, 11:08
Just wanted to say, again, a very big thanks and a pat on the back to all of you who are giving freely of your time an energy to bring relief to this region, some three months or more after the event. rest assured you have not been forgotten, and I surely know that you will be repaid in good 'karma' for a long time to come.

Thanks for posting these pictures, and keeping us updated, even though you must all be so very tired and busy.

I really think it would be great if one of the programs like Australian Story would show our country just how much work you guys are doing (and what you are giving up in terms of time, work, energy and so on).

Keep up the brilliant work. :D :ok: :) :ok: :ok: :ok:

Sincerely,

Sky

Cyclic Hotline
17th Apr 2005, 23:28
South African Tsunami Helicopter Make Profit in Indonesia
Sunday, 17-April-2005, 23:42:43 Clicks: 38

Jakarta, Indonesia-Relief -- Naturelink, South African company, dispatched 5 helicopters to Indonesia on early January to help tsunami victim in Aceh. Funded in part by South African government, the relief choper makes profit too during its mission in Indonesia tsunami zone.

Commercial Aviation Association of South Africa (CAASA) said on its January newsletter, instead of helping South African relief workers, such as Global Relief, the choppers provide commercial flight for Save the Children, Médecins Sans Frontières and World Vision.

Christine Louw, leader of Global Relief team in Meulaboh, Sumatra, told CAASA in January that they thought they had an 'understanding' that they could count on support from two of the helicopters flown to Sumatra on 6 January as part of the humanitarian mission.

Instead, the helicopters were being paid for at commercial rates of ''well over $2000 per hour'', according to Don Cressman, vice-president of Air Serv International, a US-based non-profit organisation, and Chris Briers, CEO of Naturelink.

Global Relief could not afford the rates and was having to rely on US military helicopters instead, Louw said.

Last Wednesday, Low and his team has return to Johannesburg from Meulaboh.

Briers and Cressman said that about half of the SA government’s donation of $750 000 had gone towards the cost of flying an Ilyushin-76, laden with the two helicopters and supplies to Sumatra, and, unlike this flight, the costs of shipping three more helicopters from South Africa to Sumatra later had been covered by the NGOs that had requested their services.

''It is sad that bad feeling has been created between organisations doing a tremendous amount of good in bringing aid to those hit so hard by the tsunami,'' wrote CAASA

SHortshaft
18th Apr 2005, 03:54
Now we get to the 'nitty gritty' of it all.

SkySista says: "...a pat on the back to all of you who are giving freely of your time an energy to bring relief to this region..."

To those who did truly give freely of their time and energy I join SkySista and take my hat off to you, but I would suggest that the majority of relief workers, in all fields, were accepting some form of remuneration. Aid work and disaster relief is a business.

And why not? Like millions of others that couldn’t contribute something significant in the terms of skills appropriate to the relief scenario, I donated cash. I expected that the cash would purchase, at a commercial rate, the services that were needed – including helicopter flight time.

As has been said many times before there are two kinds of people in the helicopter world, mercenaries or missionaries; and there are not many of the latter. Even the missionaries were selling surplus helicopter time to other relief organizations but at below market rate (US$700 per hour for a Bell 206L4 for example). The time that was not ‘sold’ will be paid for from donations that are raised by the missions and in the souls that are converted to the beliefs of that particular mission.

A very large effort was provide by the government helicopters of many countries. Perhaps there was no direct charge for this service but it wasn’t free, the taxpayers in the countries paying for the services.

I am skeptical enough to believe that the owners of helicopters based in as far-flung locations as North Island, New Zealand, and Oregon, USA, did not send their machines to Indian Ocean locations expecting to make a big loss. I acknowledge that several organizations took a commercial risk by not getting prepaid before they dispatched the helicopter, but I would suggest that very few ‘caught a cold’ commercially from the exercise.

As indicated in Cyclic Hotlines post Naturelink made a large effort, however AirServ is their established business partner and as is indicated in the report it was a commercial venture. They have done a good job and I hope that the result appears on their company’s bottom line.

It would be interesting to know whether they, along with all the other contributors that ‘parachuted’ in to places like Sumatra, ‘played the game’ whilst making their profits, or was the amount of flying that was available just too good to miss. Did standards and business ethics disappear out of the window? How did these organizations handle the issues of Operating Permits, Flight Time Limitations, adequate maintenance facilities, duplicate inspections, withholding tax, work permits for staff, etc.? How many of the laws of the host country and the country of register of the aircraft were flaunted, perhaps to the detriment of the helicopter industry? How were the bribes that were paid out by the helicopter crews to jump the queue for the refuel truck justified, and accounted for? That is just one example of many forms of corruption that took place, I am sure the list is long! Many of the images of the disaster areas that have been published were, I would suggest, taken in violation of the security laws of the country in which the disaster took place. Not every country permits aerial photographs to be taken at will.

In short my question is this. Does everyone believe that the activities, as a whole, of the helicopter operators (both civil and military) that took part in the relief work benefited our industry? If yes, why is there little sign of growth in the indigenous helicopter industries in the countries affected? Why have the ‘fat cats’ pulled out and left only the Low Cost Operators active in country?

As the instructions used to say “Light blue touch paper and retire immediately”!