PDA

View Full Version : pay in ryr ops

blue top
30th Dec 2004, 03:43
was told that the pay in ryr ops is 32,000 euro a year for an ops officer and over 40000 euro for an ops controler. there are only ever two ops people on shift at any one time looking after 77 planes. they look after everything from flight plans to slots and so on. they dont even get a break over a 12 hour shift and they work 2 days 2 nights from 7 till 7.
was just wondering if all ops departments are like this or would there be better jobs out there .

Little Blue
30th Dec 2004, 10:18
I could live with the money...
But not those terms...no break?
2 on shift..
Don't think so !
It sure isn't like that at the Hall !
;)

DDF
30th Dec 2004, 18:41
Seems a bit harsh only 2 on shift at a time. easyjet have the same amount of aircraft but have 6 Ops officers a duty manager plus an Airports liaison Officer to sort us out at the bases. Not sure on pay though.

VP8
31st Dec 2004, 16:15
Whats a break???

Hear at H+P towers we are chained to the pooter and released 12hrs later...

VEEPs:E

VIKING9
1st Jan 2005, 09:34
Don't believe the salary but everything else is correct.......:O

lod
3rd Jan 2005, 10:20
spoke to one of the lads in ops this morning and he tells me salary is correct, thats one of the main reasons why they are all sick of it. anytime they ask for anything they are put down and told they are lucky to have a job, even MOL said in a management meeting that they are nothing but a shower of monkeys.

Harrier46
3rd Jan 2005, 12:37
Seems much the same as most operators. MOL should know all about monkeys, after all if you pay peanuts.....!

VIKING9
3rd Jan 2005, 13:18
Maybe it's time the current Ops people started looking for another job then. At STN, all management seem content with doing is giving disciplinary's to people who actually keep the operation going.

The whole set up, when looked into deeply, is a shambles. 2 people on shift in DUB OPS to manage 77 aircraft. Regardless of the salary paid, that is just unaccaptable despite high levels of technology available. People are people. They will always need support but within FR's walls, that will never be there.

DK338
3rd Jan 2005, 18:10
Viking 9,

I am interested in working at STN for BAA, can't be that bad surely. Any chance of some info on the Airport's ops jobs? Feel free to PM me as my existing job since leaving the RAF (sadly nothing to do with aviation) is boring me to tears.

TVM

VIKING9
3rd Jan 2005, 19:56
DK338 nothing worth PM'ing I'm afraid. To get into BAA Airfield Ops you will need to be working within the BAA already, maybe security would be a good start. BAA are generaly a good company to work. Go to BAA (http://www.baa.co.uk)

VP8
4th Jan 2005, 06:28
DK338 check yr PM's

VEEPS :ok:

DK338
4th Jan 2005, 21:56
Veeps,

Check your PMs. :ok:

Dash-7 lover
15th Jan 2005, 11:33
BACX have similar amount of aircraft and ops staff on shift although there is a seperate nav services dep....

DK338
18th Jan 2005, 10:42
Viking 9,

Rant on.

Thanks for the reply. However there is no way on earth I would consider starting in security just to get a foot in the door. And that would be for three fundemental reasons, first and foremost doing so would cut my salary by three quarters, secondly I work for a property management firm and I am the manager for security, catering et al - so why would I want to demote myself to become some halfwit, and thirdly I have meningi years of aviation experience and knowledge coupled with a host of management and H&S qualifications and customer service skills so becoming thicky Mcthick on the security gate would be an insult too far. Put simply I am not THAT desperate.

I know exactly what I want and where to get it and I shall simply wait until the right moment.

One thing that I find astonishing is the pay scales in civil aviation and more incredibly the long list of willing volunteers who are happy to live a life of uncertainty and penuary. I love aviation, it has been part of my life since infancy, but it will not impinge on my quality of life. What I have done for now, and this maybe a more permanent arrangement than originally planned, is to get a very well paid job that affords me a very comfortable standard of living leaving me free to pursue my passion for aviation recreationally.

Although I am aware that sacrifices must be made to realise a goal, and for me that will me a pay cut and certainly a relocation, there is only so much I am prepared to accept.

Rant off.

Edited for poor pragraph layout and spooling

VIKING9
18th Jan 2005, 13:46
DK338 nice to have a rant every so often isn't it ;)

Seriously though, how was I to know your current situation ? Maybe next time you post, give us a clue and we won't waste our time trying to assist.

(rant off)

DK338
18th Jan 2005, 14:14
Viking 9,

Oh yes, breeath in, breeath out............aaaaaaaah!

Seriously all help and advice is gratefully received and your time is not wasted. Clearly you are not always aware of peeps' situations 'cos we don't let on do we.:E

DK

feather stroker
27th Jan 2005, 02:18
DK338,
As an experienced Ops/Crew controller of many years I believe after reading your postings you have the right atributes to become a successfull Ops Controller.

DK338
27th Jan 2005, 09:24
...............................:E :ok:

Vol7
27th Jan 2005, 13:54
nn

VIKING9
27th Jan 2005, 14:31
.....but with 2 people on shift, how can one of them take a lunch break ? Do you leave the other one alone for an hour? I think when they returned to the office, the one left behind would have gone into melt down mode. Lets face it, RYR management wouldn't support their staff if it all went wrong with one person remaining in Ops..... IMHO

Vol7
27th Jan 2005, 15:14
y

VIKING9
27th Jan 2005, 17:41
Vol7 do you mean the IAA ??

DK338
28th Jan 2005, 08:28
Vol 7,

Thanks for your vote of confidence, clearly my rant does not outline my frustrations well enough.

First, it helps if you have an enthusiasm for your job, I'm not endorsing the 'spotter' mentality, but to be any good at what you do you must care about it or, or one day you'll kill someone. There is a world of difference between being enthusiastic and an enthusiast.

Second, the main reason we all go out to earn a crust is to enjoy a standard of living, for me to accept an 8K job when my current salary is 33K is a step back too far methinks. However, as I said earlier I am prepared to make the appropriate sacrifices, but within reason. Rememeber the Stansted area is not a cheap place to live!

Third and foremost I have many years in aviation ops in a wide variety of extremely demanding roles worldwide and have at no point felt the job beneath me as you infer. Furthermore, I find your comments offensive and would suggest to you that you be less judgemental and refrain from lurching off at the deep end making wild assumptions about people until you are fully cogniscent with them and more importantly much, much better experienced in man management as clearly this is an area you are bereft.

You do not know me, my circumstances, experience or knowledge.

:mad: :mad:

Vol7
28th Jan 2005, 08:53
=

DK338
28th Jan 2005, 09:04
Just the reaction I'd expect from a coward!

VIKING9
28th Jan 2005, 09:24
DK338 take avoiding action with RYR but take a straight in approach with Excel (maybe) :ok:

DK338
28th Jan 2005, 09:36
Viking 9,

Started already matey, setting up for long finals hopefully to land . I take it Vol7 is one of MOL's boys then? :E

Regs

DK

Vol7
28th Jan 2005, 09:36
-

DK338
28th Jan 2005, 10:01
Vol7,

Whether you like it or not chat rooms occasionally end up hosting a spat between two parties with differing views. You disagree with mine, fine; clearly I disagree with yours. I believe I at least have outlined my views but I do not feel that you have sufficiently articulated yours. You appear content to chuck in a nondescript one liner and withdraw. That boy is cowardice.

I would be very happy to hear your views in more detail and if I am mistaken then I will have no hesitation in admitting I was wrong. However I feel your views, as expressed so far, lack weight and authority and seem to be founded on prejudice and maybe a degree of underconfidence. It is pretty obvious to me that you are not or never have been in a management role, so until you have been I would recommend that you keep your mouth shut and your ears well and truly pinned back. You might actually learn something lad.

Vol7
28th Jan 2005, 10:08
-

DK338
28th Jan 2005, 10:24
Vol7,

Ok so I'm wrong, you are in management or so you claim. Please expand exactly as to what you mean by the term 'your kind'. If you would care to read back through previous posts you'll find you started this spat with your name calling so now the gloves are off and I expect from you further explanation.

I reiterate, you are judgemental and bear prejudice and if you are indeed in management as you claim I would question your suitability.

Vol7
28th Jan 2005, 10:48
[=

DK338
28th Jan 2005, 11:52
Ah here we go the cutting and pasting exercise. Please be origional. And there you go again being judgemental and drawing all sorts of conclusions based on what obviously to me is a life time of prejudice.

What do you know about mil aviation? Nothing I wager and also what on earth do you think we do(did)? I recommend that you open your insular little eyes a tad wider and get a grip. I know exactly where to pitch myself based on my experience and training and no I don't know it all, but clearly you do!

Additionally people change jobs for a variety of reasons, I left the mil like most people so I can enjoy some family stability and actually see my wife regularly.

Furthermore please refrain from your childish references to serial numbers and simulators, FYI I have interest in neither so please be a good lad and desist from making playground comments, they're unintelligent and you reflect badly by it.

As for my present work, I recommend that you aquaint yourself with Facilities Management and what a typical FM actually does and then you might then begin to understand something of what I do. Moreover, get an understanding for outscourcing contracts, SLA's and benchmarking and you might then appreciate that yes I do have management responsibilty for Security and Catering, cleaning etc, with a lot of other people, within the constraints of the contract of course.

What you don't appreciate is that I have invested a great deal of time, effort and money in study to gain qualifications in subjects relevent to my career ambitions, and unsurprisingly I would far prefer to remain in that environment, or it's immediate perifery.

I am anything but full of contradictions, I just don't like small minded little people making personal comments and expecting to get away with it.

I keep encountering bigots like you repeatedly and it always saddens me that in today's society you people still exist. You are not Gods gift to aviation as you obviously believe you are and I would never have a twit like you anywhere near my ops room!

Vol7
28th Jan 2005, 12:02
:mad:

VIKING9
28th Jan 2005, 12:06
Gentlemen or is it boys.....come on, enough now please. Get back to the topic in question :ok:

DK338
28th Jan 2005, 12:13
Oh go away you little nobody, I know many, many people who are trying to get an aviation related job both ex mil and outright civ, and it's nothing to do with lack of experience or ability, just the right opportunities!

You're a boring little wannabe with little to offer but bile. This discussion has indeed run it's course, get away from Nottingham, you might find there is a world out there.

Apologies to the rest of you.

Vol7
28th Jan 2005, 14:47

DK338
28th Jan 2005, 18:48
Er no! I suggest that it is you that feel threatened by people like me. You know very little, that is obvious. Get out from infront of your computer and find out a little more of other industries, what they do and how they do it. You might be surprised to learn that there is more to life than your insular little world of Ops/crewing.

FYI I did crap like that decades ago and it was dull then. Anyone with half a brain cell saw that too and moved on to better more challenging things. You laddie seem to have stayed put. Reasons? You're either thick or lazy, which is it? I think it's both!

Salt and vinegar with those chips d!ck 'ead!:E

Vol7
28th Jan 2005, 21:30

VIKING9
29th Jan 2005, 05:46
Come on now, lets get back to the thread cos this is really getting boring now.

Does anyone else have any factual comments about RYR and it's Ops pay scales and T's & C's... ?

VP8
29th Jan 2005, 10:05
Hey Vikes we just got a payrise!!:E

VEEPS

VIKING9
29th Jan 2005, 10:55
VP8 - excellent......lets hope things are looking up for you. Drop me a PM when you get time.

DK338
29th Jan 2005, 11:29
Ho Hum,

Actually it's not a case of the job being beneath somebody, it's more to do with job satisfaction, intellectual stimulus and sense of purpose. The fact that I have the honesty to admit that I found something dull and moved on shows self awareness, intellect and ambition. You however clearly have very low aspirations, or are easily pleased.

If you care to read back to my origional post, I said nothing about airline ops, but expressed an interest in AIRPORT Ops, two very different animals and as you must be aware aviation is not just about shuffling aircraft about on a computer, filing flight plans or writing crewing rostas; my experience and knowledge in the business lies in infrastructure. Furthermore my comments were clearly identified as a rant and were therefore inevitably going to contain a few sweeping generalisations and as such should be interpreted accordingly. Also the 'conversation' you decided to join was between myself and and another and was terminated in good humour. Your involvement was unwelcome and unwarranted as were childish prejudicial comments.

A piece of advice to you my friend, take responsibility for your actions and be prepared to reap the whirlwind when it all goes belly up because if you let your mouth run away with itself like that all the time, sooner or later you're find yourself becoming intimately aquainted with a piece of 4x2 by a less tolerant character than me.

Judging by the quality of the grammar and spelling contained in your posts you come across as an ill educated, ignorant and immature little individual with low ambition coupled with retarded social and emotional intelligence

I wish we were all as perfect, well adjusted and simple minded as you.:E :ok:

Viking 9. Apologies. That is the end of it from me and no further correspondance on this matter shall be posted.

VP8- Congrats on the payrise where does that take you to if it's not too rude to ask? (Ish)

VP8
29th Jan 2005, 15:05
Hey DK:ok:

not enough:sad: 2.5%

VEEPS:E

DK338
30th Jan 2005, 07:53
Ah yes but 2.5% of what? Still well below the normal yearly percantage rate of wage increase though.:hmm:

VIKING9
30th Jan 2005, 07:54
DK338 & Vol7 you got mail ;)

DK338
30th Jan 2005, 09:31
Viking 9, so have you.