PDA

View Full Version : Self-service boarding at Schiphol

Beanbag
29th Dec 2004, 15:41
Apparently Schiphol is introducing self-service boarding for KLM flights - pax can print boarding passes at home and use them to get all the way on to the aircraft without needing to interact with any member of staff. So how do they ensure that the person boarding the aircraft is who the boarding pass says they are? This sounds rather more dangerous than nail clippers in hand baggage.

I got the info from http://news.airwise.com/stories/2004/12/1104314225.html

HowlingWind
29th Dec 2004, 16:14
Other than the absense of a gate agent, I can't see what makes this different from the e-ticket/home check-in systems used by many US airlines. In the US, security checks the pax ID against the boarding pass -- pax may or may not have to show ID at the gate.

I think echeck-in is used primarily on domestic flights in the US -- I'm not sure if it's used on any international flights -- but in any case, at AMS pax need to show both passport and boarding pass at exit immigration, don't they?

Airbubba
29th Dec 2004, 16:37
KLM's partner Northwest has offered the ability to print boarding passes at home for some time now:

https://www.nwa.com/cki-bin/cki_home.pro?activatetrans

It's pretty much the same computer fumble procedure that you endure when you go to a self service kiosk at the airport. The downside is that if you do the boarding pass at home, it is cumbersome to change seat assignments if a better seat is available when you get to the airport.

The barcode on the self printed boarding pass expedites checkin but you still have to get luggage tags and do the local security baggage drill. Also, ID and passport are checked several times in this "self service" process.

Beanbag
29th Dec 2004, 16:41
Must admit I haven't been through AMS recently, but at LHR the only ID checks are at check in (but only if you do it with an agent) and at the gate. So a self-service boarding procedure there would remove all ID checks. Hopefully that's not the case at AMS.

Atlanta-Driver
29th Dec 2004, 17:25
Having used AMS facilites a lot lateky and flown with KLM in and out. Self chek-in works really well.

Insert your passport photopage to the reader or your ticket and you will get a boarding pass. You can leave your lugagge to the collection point and walz on to the gate. Upon boarding you show your boading pass and a photo ID to the gate agent. No need to talk to anyone.

Schiphol also has a pass system where you obtain a card containing biometric data including iris scan. You can use that to go through immigration either coming into the country or leaving. This system is in place today.

AD

HowlingWind
29th Dec 2004, 17:50
Upon boarding you show your boading pass and a photo ID to the gate agent. No need to talk to anyone. AD, this contradicts the article, which says the boarding pass will open an automatic door and implies there is no gate agent (admittedly, a small point since you've described the passport-scanning process).

Schiphol also has a pass system where you obtain a card containing biometric data including iris scan. You can use that to go through immigration either coming into the country or leaving. How does one go about obtaining one of these?

Atlanta-Driver
29th Dec 2004, 20:55
My description was on how it works today with the self check-in at AMS with KLM flights.

You can get an application for the card from immigration officers and here is a link to a site with more info on the system.
www.schiphol.nl/privium/

AD

Wannabe Flyboy
29th Dec 2004, 21:09
BA have used a similar system for a while now on some of their routes - AMS included. From what I've heard it has been very successful and there have not been any major security issues.

Wanabee,Gunnabee,Am
30th Dec 2004, 09:56
You will still have to get bags x-rayed. Also they have introduced an extra security check at every non-schengen gate.

Seems to me they are trying to avoid those massive queues at checkin

Good idea in my opinion.

Now the Marechausee security. That's another question.

dnx
2nd Jan 2005, 13:11
Howling Wind,

Schiphol uses a system called PRIVIUM.
You apply for it and get some sort of security check-out after which you have to visit their desk (in the airport) to have your retina scanned.
I was made to understand that other big airports will get a similar or compatable system.
I've used it for the past 3 years and it works wonders for my moral, not having to wait in line for immigration.

Happy New year everyone!!!

bonbon_cannelle
8th Jan 2005, 22:12
No need to talk to anyone

And you like this?? :confused:

I am French, and not sure that French (or Italian, Spanish, etc) passengers will appreciate this kind of travelling without talking to anyone!

it works maybe in AMS with "nordic" minds, but not with "mediterranean" ones, and I should add fortunately for us, passenger service agents!

I've been told that SAS had tryed a few years ago in Oslo, this system of self-boarding, and stopped it after a few practices due to big security problems on board (passengers canceled on board, passengers not checked on board, etc ...)