PDA

View Full Version : Lets make a 'what the ....'

Dave_Jackson
28th Dec 2004, 22:38
As a twist on the thread 'Lets make a helicopter', the following is submitted for consideration.

Part I -------------- Evolution

The development and particularly the testing of a new helicopter should consist of a series of progressive steps (True?? - Nick? Shawn?). This will be particularly important if the new craft incorporates one or more unique features.

At some point, the testing will consist of evaluating the rotor in the autorotative state. This might be initially done on the back of a truck, but it eventually the tests must be in free air. An ideal method for this should be the gyrocopter.

Part II ------------- Regulation

The US FAA is about to release the new Sport pilot / Light Sport Aircraft. Gyrocopters are to be included but "helicopters are too complex to be allowed under this first issue of SP/LSA". However, there is the provision for the inclusion of helicopters in the future. It should also be noted that the criteria of the SP/LSA are compatible with those of the European JAR-VLR and the British VLH.

Par III ------------ Question

What about establishing the criteria for a future advanced Very Light Helicopter. Then, start with a gyrocopter and incrementally add the features in a series of steps toward this advanced helicopter.

The FAA would be asked to approve the revised craft into the SP/LSA at each step. In addition, at each step there is an improved rotorcraft, which can, in and of itself, be a commercial product.

Part IV ---------- Suggestion Produce gyrocopter with centerline thrust and horizontal stabilizer.
Add conventional helicopter flight controls.
Add 3-blade rotor.
Add constant velocity joint with hub spring rotor.
Add full-time partial power to rotor.
Add to the 'full-time partial power'; pre-rotation for take-off and rotor inertia consumption for landing.
Add the ability to provide the rotor with up to 100% of available power. *
* This requires a means of counteracting the torque of the rotor. Some methods for consideration are;
Lateral cyclic control on the pusher prop,
Twin pusher props w/ reversing propellers,
Twin main rotors,
Torqueless main rotor,
Twin prop-rotors that are located laterally below the main rotor. They pivot down 90-degrees up to supplement the main rotor (pusher rotors) or up 90-degrees to act as pusher propellers.
Etc.
Etc.

Last and certainly least, a tail-rotor. :ugh::O

Shawn Coyle
29th Dec 2004, 18:00
The JAA has just adapted the Very Light Rotorcraft certification basis, (which was developed by the Italians in 1995).
It would make a great first step for Sport Helicopters.
However, there are a number of kit built helicopters out there now which would probably also qualify. I'll check with one of the builders to see what he says about the relevance.

zeeoo
30th Dec 2004, 00:36
Dave,

we had many discussions and i think that you know what i want to do. and i want to do exactly what you said.

finally, a lot of people thought i was crazy, but, when the see the interest rose by this concepts, they think it is not a dumb idea.

I am just a little despited to see that people keep the good ideas but i didn't get a great help from"engineers", because i am not one.
anyway.
For information , my gyrocopter project starts in january, the design is to be deposited .

thanks

Dave_Jackson
30th Dec 2004, 07:30
zeeoo,

OK. The race is on. :O

http://www.unicopter.com/Streaker.gif

Here is the entrant that a couple of us are proposing to start in Jan.
OTHER: Aircraft - Gyro/Heli - Overview (http://www.unicopter.com/1437.html)
OTHER: Aircraft - Gyro/Heli - Offset Teetering Rotor Hub (http://www.unicopter.com/1436.html)

You say "the design is to be deposited." :confused: Where are you depositing it?

________

Shawn,

It will be interesting to hear what the existing helicopter manufactures are planning to do. Perhaps Sikorsky's new acquisition may eventually enter the fray.

Dave

zeeoo
30th Dec 2004, 08:42
Dave,

i don't try to compete with anyone, i just follow my idea and my project.

your design is pretty, go on.

i deposit it at the french INPI and soon , i may begin the process for US , helped by a gyro partner in CA. The INPI allows me to freeze the precedence.

I think that i gave enough ideas, now it is time to work.

get busy !

Victor