PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft with smoking engine grounded in Sydney

one ball
28th Dec 2004, 06:45
SMH
December 28, 2004 - 12:14PM

Fire brigades were called to Sydney airport this morning after a Qantas airliner reported a smoking engine while it was landing.

The Boeing 767, which left Melbourne at 8.30am (AEDT), had just commenced landing at Sydney's domestic terminal when air traffic control spotted a puff of smoke, a Qantas spokeswoman said.

"On landing the aircraft, the captain shut down the engines as a precaution while the aircraft was towed to the terminal," she said.

"Fire brigades attended, but no fire was detected."

One of the flight's 193 passengers, a man named Peter, said the plane had landed safely with no major drama.

"We were told it was just a bit of hydraulic fluid that had leaked onto the exhaust of the engine, causing a bit of smoke," he told Sydney radio 2GB.

"The engineers came out to have a look, no drama at all."

Engineers were currently inspecting the craft and it was expected to be back in service later this afternoon, Qantas said.

spinout
28th Dec 2004, 07:07
There was a lot of smoke from the #2 engine after touch down, when the engine was shut down the smoke went…:rolleyes:

one ball
28th Dec 2004, 07:13
........ but the whining went on and on...

Jet_A_Knight
28th Dec 2004, 07:19
I didn't know QF operated Ilyushins????:E

yowie
28th Dec 2004, 11:15
Geez where did they find that "no drama at all" pax?
2UE must be spewing they didnt get the"I thought we were all going to die" version,must have been a ratings bummer!

Wirraway
28th Dec 2004, 13:29
Wed "The Australian"

Qantas jet smoke a mystery
By Steve Creedy
December 29, 2004

QANTAS engineers yesterday failed to find the cause of a smoking jet engine that earlier had sparked an alert at Sydney airport.

Air traffic controllers noticed smoke coming from the engine of a Qantas Boeing 767, which had 193 passengers on board, as it arrived from Melbourne about 9.50am yesterday.

Emergency services officials were called to inspect the aircraft, but found no signs of fire and it was allowed to proceed to the terminal.

"There was a puff of smoke as he was at the end of his landing roll," a Qantas spokeswoman said.

"The captain shut down the engines as a precaution. The firemen attended but no fire was detected."

Qantas officials initially suggested that excess hydraulic fluid might have leaked on to the hot engine.

One of the aircraft's passengers later told Sydney radio station 2GB that the plane's crew also had said the smoke was probably due to hydraulic fluid leaking on to a hot exhaust.

"The engineers came out to have a look, no drama at all," he said. But an extensive investigation by the engineers failed to reveal the cause of the smoke.

"They've conducted every sort of investigation that they possibly can," the Qantas spokeswoman said. "(But) there was no evidence of smoke or fire anywhere.

"They (conducted) a boroscope and there was no evidence of any foreign matter in the engine.

"All the cockpit information was normal and there was nothing irregular there."

The 767 was returned to service yesterday afternoon after being given the official all-clear.

"The aircraft has been gone over with a fine-tooth comb, nothing was found to be out of order," the spokeswoman said. "It's back in service and humming along nicely."

Qantas Group has 26 Boeing 767s which it uses on international and domestic routes.

The Australian

===========================================

Sunfish
29th Dec 2004, 00:12
It was obviously a hydraulic leak in the emergency engine jettison system:}

SkySista
29th Dec 2004, 03:33
What a refreshing change to see a pax who saw the 'incident' for what it was... a minor technical glitch....... no "omygodwewereallgoingtodie" - perhaps he was a pilot? :E

Afterthought: or perhaps he just had the right perspective on things, and a bit of smoke from the engine is nothing compared to SE Asia right now.... :(

The Enema Bandit
29th Dec 2004, 04:28
I'm surprised there wasn't more smoke if they landed at the domestic terminal.

wirgin blew
29th Dec 2004, 15:24
I'm surprised there wasn't more smoke if they landed at the domestic terminal.

ROTFLAMO

:ok:

woftam
30th Dec 2004, 14:35
Ah,that pesky #2 engine trick again............
:}

turbantime
1st Jan 2005, 11:17
Photo of incident (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/745530/M/ )
And another (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/745529/M/ )

bushy
2nd Jan 2005, 02:22
Funny that the qantas aeroplanes do not seem to follow the normal behaviour patterns. They seem to have funny things happen when there is nothing wrong with them. But I'm confident the reports are all truthful. They are just playful aeroplanes?

Binoculars
2nd Jan 2005, 12:11
I thought the new anti-smoking legislation only came into effect on 1st January? :confused:

NAMPS
4th Jan 2005, 02:01
"The aircraft has been gone over with a fine-tooth comb, nothing was found to be out of order," the spokeswoman said. "It's back in service and humming along nicely."

Do all RR engines normally "hum"?

Capt Fathom
4th Jan 2005, 02:36

As a matter of fact...they do!

blueloo
4th Jan 2005, 03:15
yes, if they started farting, it might indicate a problem

bushy
4th Jan 2005, 05:13
It has probably flown about 50,000 hours.

notmyC150v2
4th Jan 2005, 06:00
Damn these intelligent pax and their lack of panic!!!

I want fear dammit, I want drama.

What is the point of buying a newspaper or watching tele if you are not entertained.

Frankly the journo's should go back to the basics as taught at this useful and thought provoking website: http://radans.net/jens/planestory.html

Sorry if you have seen it before, just got it emailed today.

DJ737
4th Jan 2005, 06:21
Maybe these deserve a new thread :p

Technical Glitch Scares Passengers

Melbourne passengers told of their dread aboard a Sydney bound Qantas flight which was advised it was in the best interests of the plane to return to Melbourne yesterday due to running out of Everybody Loves Raymond episodes.

Some passengers were distraught that the 5 passengers were told few details of the unpleasant incident.

They said the plane 'Flew slowly with the engines screaming like Shannon Noll trying to sing' before turning around.

As a precaution, fire trucks were on standby when the Boeing A320 landed.

Passenger Mr Hennigans last night was still recovering from the ordeal.

'It's a good thing I was wearing the brown underwear', the passenger said.

DJ737

The Roo Rooter :E :ok:

SkySista
4th Jan 2005, 06:38
Funny.... I chose the "Shannon Noll" line as well.... hmmm :E

True though, i wonder how many journalists use that. It really does sound like what you hear on the news these days.... :rolleyes:

Complete with the ability to mix manufacturer and type! :p

VH-Cheer Up
5th Jan 2005, 05:26

Only if they don't know the words!

Pinky the pilot
5th Jan 2005, 08:23
Who is Shannon Noll??:confused:

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Ultralights