PDA

View Full Version : Working abroad and licences

outofwhack
28th Dec 2004, 04:40
Question: When we read of pilots working in far flung and unusual places, is it usually the case that the pilot must jump the hoops converting to that countries licence and gaining their Class 1 Medical before they can work there?

Or are there places that accept certain other countries licences and medicals [for perhaps itinerant workers??]

I for one would love to see information explaining where one can work with an Australian CPL(H) licence and medical.

I think it would be useful to hear of other countries CPL(H) licences too.

B Sousa
28th Dec 2004, 11:02
With an Aussie license, Australia sounds like a good place to start........
Just kidding... Most countries that I know either require you to get their license or have yours validated. I have mine validated in South Africa. Its easy and not too expensive. I think I would be looking for guaranteed work first, then worry about the license.

TIMTS
28th Dec 2004, 15:09
In the Netherlands Antilles you can validate at least the FAA commercial for up to one year.
It is a short process that costs about $150.

After that you need to take the local license.

outofwhack
29th Dec 2004, 01:54
My overwhelming interest is whether I have to get a class 1 medical from those other countries.

Australia is much fairer in dealing with colour deficient pilots than most anywhere else.

So I suppose I am really asking - When converting your CPL licence do 'other' countries always need you to satisfy their own medical people?

Nigel Osborn
29th Dec 2004, 02:04
I haven't flown overseas for 6 years, so things may have changed. If the country gave you a validation, that was based on your Oz licence & medical. If you need to get a licence, then you do the works, medical & certain exams.

Rotor Driver
29th Dec 2004, 11:00
As a general rule you will need to have your foreign license validated by the country in which you wish to work. This will usually be done by taking an exam on the local regulations or Air Law. This is usually pretty basic stuff, but have heard of some outrageous exams. You will most assuradly have to take a local medical exam. In most cases this is done to create revenue for the local physicians, but can end up being a total travesty. I know of one guy who's medical was denied because his BMI was too high. This guy is built like brick outhouse, his biceps are bigger then my thighs and is all muscle. The Dr. thought that he was fat and in poor health. So be prepared for just about anything. If you have a medical problem that is not a serious health concern, keep it to yourself!

B Sousa
29th Dec 2004, 11:12
Forgot to mention. On South Africa my validation . The Air Law exam is a one time only exam. Once its taken and passed....no more. The validation though is only good for the length of my FAA medical. When it expires I have to go and pay fees and get a revalidation....great way to spend money..