PDA

View Full Version : How many Xmases away from home?

offshoreigor
27th Dec 2004, 21:59
OK Fellow Rotorheads!

I have missed the past 14 Xmases away from home (thats consecutive) some by choice, some by schedule. How about the rest of you?

The best have actually been in so-called war zones for me, ie Somalia '94, Rwanda '95. This year in CI is not so great but at least my average is still on the plus side!

Cheers,

:E OffshoreIgor :E

TIMTS
28th Dec 2004, 01:13
This would make it 6 consecutive. Only 4 due to helicopters, the rest because of army service.

Happy new year...only 5 consecutive there for celebrating new years away from home.

BTW, I am talking away as in a different country here...

Steve76
28th Dec 2004, 05:26
First time in 8yrs back home. First time in 4yrs not working on Christmas day.
Probably means that next year will be a write off for sure.

Billywizz
28th Dec 2004, 15:13
I've had 15 years of Xmas away from home.
Unfortunately the've all been at the mother in laws!
Oh you lucky chaps, give me the open skies and a few mince pies and I'd have the best christmas ever.
Happy New Year

SASless
28th Dec 2004, 21:23
Is it possible to have a Christmas at home?

Being single...usually volunteer for the Christmas duty....to allow the married guys to stay home.

Spent this one driving across the country....dry roads and sunshine the whole way....nice present from the Weather Boss!

rotorboy
29th Dec 2004, 00:27
first in a few not working , spent this one surfing 5 footers in Centro America, drinking dollar beer and eating El dorado! last 3 were either at sea, or giving 3 minute rides!

RB :cool:

Hey Sasless: Being single - I though that was just part of the deal being a utility pilot. Didnt I sign something at flight school , were you give up your right to have constant nooky!?

I havent had a ol'lady for more than 3 weeks for 4 years. I proably wouldnt know how to behave correctly if I had a long time girl firend:ok:

Hoverboy
30th Dec 2004, 14:32
I'm one of those "married with kids" pilots and I have to admit that my company is pretty good about things, my back to back has changed every few years and I get no grief there either, I can pretty much count on every other year off at home.
If you are on a 6 and 6 rotation, it's not quite right, you can get jammed with being away a few years in a row, or vice versa, however, a little creative scheduling can make it work well for a crew working back to back.
Season's greetings!

SASless
30th Dec 2004, 15:11
I thought helicopter pilots were akin to Monks....least ways the ones of us that do bush work. All of us have to find a special lady to put up with us when we are off shift....seems we disrupt the nesting instinct by putting things down where they are not supposed to be.

Bush wives do not count towards relationships right?:ok:

cpt
30th Dec 2004, 15:37
I have never counted the christmas away from home...and actually with time passing by, I suddenly realize I don't even have a proper single home, but many little ones scattered all over these weird countries.
That's the sort of nomadic life I have chosen, and I like it.
By the way offshoreigor there are good chances I"ll be at ABJ soon.

Mr Toad
31st Dec 2004, 01:14
Our lives are days on and hopefully days off.
Public holidays and weekends don't exist, the roster rules our lives.
Staying gainfully employed is a constant pre-occupation.
Sunlight and snow, idiot re-licensing every time, no fixed abode.
"Where do you come from?" - Does it matter?

But would we trade it for nine to five? NO, it's a glorious life. But it's not a family man's dream, there are planks for them.