PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on ThomsonFly scheme

rk1006
27th Dec 2004, 16:33
Hi, I am looking for peoples general opinions on the Britannia/ThomsonFly scheme in Jerez where the student pays all of the 90,000 Euros and will be considered for selection should he/she meet the required grade and job availability. Is this a good oppertunity, or simply a clever marketing ploy and expensive year?

BigGrecian
27th Dec 2004, 18:23
Doesn't even sound like a clever marketing ploy to me.

Sounds like when you complete your course with fATPL you'll be able to apply for a job with them - if there are recruiting. But then again so will everyone else with a fATPL.

If I were you I would make my own decision about where I wanted to train rather than be pressured by such marketing.

run a mile
27th Dec 2004, 22:46
If the scheme didn't exist would you....

1) Self fund your fATPL?

2) Train via an integrated course?

3) Choose FTE Jerez?

If yes to all of the above you have nothing to loose.

If the scheme is persuading you to fork out an extra 20K to train integrated when you had planned to train modular then you have some thinking to do!

My opinion, Take a chance!

Groundloop
31st Dec 2004, 12:37
"Sounds like when you complete your course with fATPL you'll be able to apply for a job with them - if there are recruiting. But then again so will everyone else with a fATPL."

The whole idea of the scheme is that if they ARE recruiting you are first in the queue. You have already been through the selection process and if your grades are up to scratch you are first in line to be employed.

the foz
4th Jan 2005, 15:08
In my opinion, Thomsonfly are being honest and up front. I have now applied to a fair few of these training scheme/sponsorships now and what I seemed to have learnt is that you end paying for it all anyway! It's just the way you look it!

CTC with easyjet for example.

You go through selection and pay similar fees. If you are lucky enough to get through then you take out a loan in your own name, therefore your completely responsibility for it and the airline will pay 'x' amount off your loan a month for you. However you are then on a reduced salary with them until your loan is paid off. Hence surely you are really paying for it. However if you fail training - your still responsible for the loan. Once graduated from CTC in NZ you are put in a holding pool and easyjet can come and get you within the first six months. But there is no guarantee of a job at the end of it either! So really what is different? Just the way you view it in my opinion. I have heard that what was once the British airways full sponsorship scheme was the same set-up, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Same goes for part sponsorship schemes, they pay so much of your training fees, but you are on a reduced salary for so many years afterwards. And I bet the amount lost in reduced salary will cunningly be near enough the cost of the money they put in! And again no guarantee of a job afterwards. Again speculation, but I think it's realistic.

As for the statements they use when advertising/offer a scheme regarding employment/performance, I believe that all these caveats are there just to protect the airline. For example if there was another 9/11 (and god forbid there isn't), or a slump in the industry and no longer any requirement for cadets then they have covered themselves. They surely would not go to all the trouble of organising selection days if there wasn't the genuine intent to employ these cadets after their training.

Anyway I have been accepted onto the Thomsonfly scheme and I will be bending over backwards to raise the money to make it there!! Might be my only break you never know!!

Any well done who got through and good luck to you all who are trying!

roberand
4th Jan 2005, 18:03
Hi

I too have been accepted onto this course and like rk1006 am a little undecided as to whether to take it!

While flying the big shiny jet is all i have ever wanted to do, i currently finally have a decent enough job earning good money and literally just started living with the girlfriend.....crikey i must be mad to risk all this and pay £60k odd for the POSSIBILITY of getting a job in 13 months time!!!!

However, complete catch 22.....i KNOW i will regret it if i don't take it and know i could regret it if there is another 9/11 (god forbid) in a few months time and i end up with a load of debt and no job (and maybe no missus! :) ). But i guess that is the nature of the aviation industry beast and if you don't take a chance then you will never gain.

I am in the fortunate position of also having got through to the final stage of the flybe selection process which i do beginning of next week.

Just wondered what people's thoughts are on the tfly opportunity compared to the flybe one - in terms of costs, prob not much in it except that with tfly you pay it all yourself upfront whereas with flybe you pay only a portion of training costs but have reduced salary on employment. Therefore slightly bigger personal financial risk with tfly. However, from pruners' posts it seems both companies are great to work for. Any other thoughts?

roberand