PDA

View Full Version : Did I see a BAC 1-11 this afternoon on finals at LGW?

PPRuNe Pop
27th Dec 2004, 15:18
I was negotiating a couple of roundabouts near the NT but feel sure it was a 1-11 as it descended onto finals at about 1410. Then is disappeared behind some inevitable buildings!

The person I went to see says he has heard of one around.

Anyone?

PPRuNe Pop
27th Dec 2004, 18:09
Sorry Spot your link doesn't work.

PPP

Spot 4
27th Dec 2004, 19:04
Use this link to go to the website:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/697656/M

Reg: P4-JLB almost completely white 1-11

States that the photo was taken 18 Oct 2004 but has confusing text attached about it departing Southend in 3/2003. The Spotter mags have a comment about a 1-11 visiting Southend now but not being a spotter, I never got to the WHS checkout:E

spekesoftly
28th Dec 2004, 01:08
The January 2005 edition of 'Aeroplane Magazine' has a news item that confirms that BAC 1-11, P4-JLB, arrived at Southend on October 19 for a refit. This aircraft, one of five of the type now operated by Jetline/Mercury Aviation from Baneasa airport at Bucharest, was apparently the last British-built BAC One-Eleven; the final three letters of its original personalised registration, G-BLHD, denoted 'Last Hurn Delivery'.

Fris B. Fairing
28th Dec 2004, 02:33
Gee, I must be getting old if One-Elevens are a rare sight at Airwick Gatport. I see One-Elevens fairly regularly but they are of the F- variety not BAC.

Cheers

HZ123
28th Dec 2004, 11:27
P4-JLB is worth a look at as it is against the fence at SEN. There is also two other non flyers at SEN. The former 5N-HHH which is now utilsed by the airfield fire service and a white one with 'FreshAir' titles used for a sky TV series. Perhaps someone knows its history. P4-JLB is due to leave inthe next couple of weeks. If its any help JLB arrived at SEN in 2003 in two tone green and then left indeed in all white with a blue cheat line and tail insignia, but I do not know what the regs were then.

No comment
28th Dec 2004, 17:00
Dont want to doubt your recognition skills, but that time of arrival may have been the Helvetic Fokker 100. Mind you, its difficult to confuse with a white 1-11 as its completely PINK!

PPRuNe Pop
28th Dec 2004, 17:35
Ah!!!!

OK I think I can accept that. It was about two miles distant and I thought a lovely shade of red but didn't think to mention it. And as you were there....................;)

My colleague a Captain, who had just previously landed, said he had heard of one but omitted to say if it was yesterday.

I will go with you NC. Thanks.

No comment
28th Dec 2004, 22:07
"And as you were there...................."

hehe, thankfully was sitting at home. Unfortunately its a "perk" of the job having types/times drilled into you!

surely not
29th Dec 2004, 10:47
yea probably, BOH has a lot of junk lying around.

Compass Call
29th Dec 2004, 21:38
surely not

Wash your mouth out with Jet-A1.

The 1-11 is not junk. She is a gracious old lady. Hand made with TLC. Not like the mass produced offerings of Boeing and Airbus. :ok:

CC

surely not
29th Dec 2004, 22:09
Sorry Compass Call, the slur was aimed at BOH not the 1-11. I have many happy memories of flights in 1-11's, and of listening to them start up just hoping that the CSDS didn't fail :D

HZ123
30th Dec 2004, 17:57
Saw the P4 a/c yesterday at SEN and it looks fine to me. In fact the style and shape appears as modwern as todays kit.