PDA

View Full Version : Ipaq Pocket PC SW Sharing

Texdoc
26th Dec 2004, 22:53
Hi All,

Santa was good to me this year:ok:

And so I am interested in sharing, obtaining, storing and discussing various SW, Programs, Documents etc for my new iPaq Pocket PC (5550).

I already have done some searching and got a few programs. Some cost a little some cost a lot (Trialling those at the moment) some are freeware.

Items so far:
GPS (moving Map)
Checklister
Weight and Balance Calcs
E6B Calcs
Spread Sheets
Photo's
Etc....

I love gadgets :8

He who dies with the most kit wins :}

Hiro Protagonist
27th Dec 2004, 06:00
I don't really us my pocket pc much anymore, too bulky, (I wanna smart phone) but I've got a few recomendations for ya...

for checklists check out listpro
for spreadsheets get spreadce

Between these two products, you add a great deal of functionality. Especially spreadce... unlike pocket excel, this spreadsheet keeps most of the abilities of excel, I use this (or excel on my laptop more commonly) to keep a self totaling logbook, and I've put together a pretty decent weight and balance spreadsheet (so far only for R22/44 :eek: )

Check out pocketpcthoughts (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com) for everything pocket pc.
have fun... josh

Texdoc
27th Dec 2004, 06:30
Thanks Josh,

I am trying Checklister XP at the moment a bit cheaper than listpro though listpro seems to have a bit more function to it (perhaps more than needed by me).

Thanks for the link, looks like a winner :ok:

I agree the device is a bit bulkier than one would like but the case is pretty covert on your belt.

I have just been using "Destinator" at work (GPS Mapping) and it is already proving its worth. Mounted via windshield suction cup on a powered mount with speaker and bluetooth GPS. All very tidy, neat and out of the way.

I had thought the suction cup would be dropping off every other minute but the problem is getting it off if you want to :\

magbreak
28th Dec 2004, 09:27
Texdoc,

I use PocketFMS for an fms program. It is freeware and VERY good. They supply maps which cover most of the world. Select the FIR's you want and download (still for free!). You can send a donation if you like and you then get access to better resolution maps. Well worth a look. (PS I am not in any way connected with this program, I just think it's very good!!).

The program will also do you C of G and some flight planning as well. For full use yon meed a GPS to plug into it, but you've mentioned moving map so perhaps you have that already??

google search for pocketfms should point you in the right direction!!

Texdoc
28th Dec 2004, 11:32
Thanks Magbreak,

Found it straight up downloading as we speak.

Yes I have a bluetooth (Leadtek) GPS. GPS has come so far since I used a gel cell to power an 8 channel portable garmin about 6-7 years back. This thing is the size of a matchbox but half as long again.

The Li-Po (Lithium Polymer) battery in the GPS gives a good 7-8 hours unplugged use (Longer than the iPaq). Seems as though these Li-Po's are the new generation in rechargable batteries with excellent charge/discharge rates. No memory but a tad unstable, and have burnt down a few houses apparently when mistreated and continued in use.

They are developing faster than one would like: Buy the latest and a week later it is half the price and new one has hit the market. Better yet buy the cells and build you own....

Aesir
28th Dec 2004, 20:52
PocketFMS sounds like a brilliant program!

I downloaded it no problem, but after I choose the FIR I operate in and the program says it needs to download data & I choose ok then I get an "Error report" and that Pocket FMS needs to shutdown?

Any ideas guy´s, this happened to you!

jellycopter
28th Dec 2004, 22:04
Aesir

I had exactly the same problem running WinXP SP2. So I uninstalled completely and then downloaded the .53 version from the 'Legacy' tab on the web-site. This loaded OK and I was able to then download the required FIR database and map files. Once that was done, I re-installed the latest .54 version over the top and all is working fine now.

J

Aesir
28th Dec 2004, 22:53
Thanks Jellycopter. Did that and it worked

:)