PDA

View Full Version : Advice with finances please

Paulas
26th Dec 2004, 17:35
I have been offered a place in Oxford and (unfortunately) will need to fund the course with a very large loan. I was wondering if there is anything that can be claimed from HMG such as Dole, Job Seekers Allowance, Student Loan etc.

I am 23 living with my parents and currently in full time employment.

Any advice would be appreciated.

BigGrecian
26th Dec 2004, 18:27
Well you can claim "doll" if you say you want a job as a pilot. You can't claim it whilst on your course. (Your working so non applicable.)

You can apply for a Career Development Loand (www.lifelonglearning.co.uk/cdl/) upto 8K.
HSBC (and other banks) offer Professional Studies Loans (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145989)

Save some money approach HSBC and take it from there - is my advice.

Good Luck

Paulas
26th Dec 2004, 18:39
Thanks BigG
I will be seeing a HSBC Rep in the new year. Thanks again.

EGAC_Ramper
26th Dec 2004, 18:59
Indeed Im near the end of my HSBC application/handout.Only 9 weeks til start of my training.Like mentioned save up some money,and go out and do things that show your willingness.My own circumstances were that I got my PPL,paid for my hour building and the Class 1 medical.Aswell as getting a job in the aviation field(hence my username:) )
All this seemed to help my application which was no problem.|Though saying that I am on the modualr route already hold my PPL.

Regards:ok:

Paulas
26th Dec 2004, 19:59
I decided to take the full course rather than the Modular route as it appears to give a better chance of a job at the end. OAT also have close contacts with HSBC in Oxford and will help put together a business plan for a loan.

Having said that I have been reading through the thread BigG put me onto and it makes you rethink everything. :confused:

EGAC_Ramper
26th Dec 2004, 21:24
take the full course rather than the Modular route as it .appears to give a better chance of a job at the end

By no means do I wish to start argueing the Integrated vs Modular but DO look at the finances involved.Do a search for the debates on this subject and read through them carefully.I believe for integrated amount the loan repayments for the |FIXED term of 11years can be £900.So take you time in deciding and find ways of possibly reducing the risk.

Maybe see you there
Regards:ok: