View Full Version : BA Pilot Salary Increments

Ray D'Avecta
24th Dec 2004, 17:08
Hello Everyone,.....

hope you wont mind shedding light on a couple of questions from a mate of mine, ;), who is hoping to get into the BD DEP Pool.

1. Do all Direct Entry BA Pilots on a paricular fleet, e.g. the 777, all start on the same salary, and get the same increments each year? Or is recruitement into different points on the pay scale?

2. I gather, from searching on here, that the lowest starting pay for a 777FO is about £54k, all in. Any ideas what the yearly increments for the first 5 years are, at current pay scales?, i.e. at the end of 5 years, what salary could he expect?

cheers...........

Merry Xmas, and a very happy and prosperous new year to you all. Safe skies in 2005.

RDV

TopBunk
25th Dec 2004, 06:52
Ray

All DEP pilots start on the same paypoint (PP1!), irrespective of previous experience. The 54K you state is incorrect - prior to the recent 2.5% increase, 54K was the Captains PP1 rate. FO's are paid 75% of the captains rate - you do the maths.

From this base paypoint there is an annual increment to be added, which varies according to the fleet you are on (greater for LH than MH, SH). The increments are fixed amounts which I will not advertise, but are between 2-5%. Again, FO's get 75% on the captains increment.

From the above you can surmise what his 5th year basic pay will be.

TopBunk
25th Dec 2004, 09:17
The last set of figures quoted are from the pay restructuring before the recent 2.5% (from memory) RPI increase.

Furthermore, the flying hour pay is being held at £10 per hour for captains and increased in 2? stages to £9 then £10 for copilots, all taxable..

The £2.50 per hour is now £2.58 in line with inflation, of which 18% is liable for tax at your marginal rate.

Super Stall
25th Dec 2004, 10:37
Hmmm... Figs are still slightly out. From my payslip ..Pay point 4 (i.e. been in for three years), MH, Fo basic £48,077.

+ fllight/duty pay as above.

Ray D'Avecta
25th Dec 2004, 12:07
Thank you all for the very useful responses.

And thanks particularly for the links above.....I did not realise these discussions had been raging for so long.

Merry Xmas again........

expedite_climb
26th Dec 2004, 06:20
Errr actually multiply all the figures by 5.7 % for anyone starting next year. FO flying pay is also up to £9 per hour.....

Staple
29th Dec 2004, 12:02
Excuse my ignorance, but do these rates apply to both type rated and non type rated DEPs. Someone was telling me there was a difference....

TopBunk
30th Dec 2004, 17:21
Staple

I am not aware of any difference for DEP's with experience, regardless of type-rating held. They may be a difference for NEP's (New Entrant Pilots) who have little experience, but even then I'm not sure.

[By way of explanation, BA sponsored trainees {TEP's} had money deducted for a few years to recoup training costs, which then increased due to a 'misunderstanding' with the IR about tax status - or something].

Do not however, base any decision on my belief, but seek further info from BA / BALPA.