PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue/Polynesian Airlines

Wirraway
24th Dec 2004, 04:17
Fact or fiction? that Virgin Blue has bought 49% of Polynesian
Airlines which cures their ETOPs problem.

Wirraway

DJ737
24th Dec 2004, 04:38
FACT, but dunno about the ETOPS bit?

Virgin Blue and the Samoan government have reached an agreement whereby Virgin Blue will take up to a 49 % stake in Polynesian Airlines based in Apia (APW) The new airline will replace Polynesian Airilnes will be named Polynesian Blue and will commence operations in the first half of 2005.

DJ737

The Roo Rooter :E :ok:

Have a safe & happy festive season all

Buster Hyman
24th Dec 2004, 04:55
:( Dunno what they're going to do with them...rights issue aside. WS isn't exactly a tourist Mecca, but I suppose it depends on what you're looking for...

Wirraway
24th Dec 2004, 05:05
ABC Radio Australia
24/12/2004, 14:55:23

Samoa chooses Virgin Blue as partner in Polynesian Airlines

The Samoan Government has chosen Virgin Blue, over Qantas and Air New Zealand, to be its joint venture partner in Polynesian Airlines.

Our reporter, Sean Dorney, says the Samoan government has been seeking a partner for some time to buy up to 49 per cent of Polynesian Airlines.

Virgin Blue's Public and Media Relations Manager, Amanda Bolger, has confirmed the deal but says the full details of the joint venture operation need to be worked through.

"Virgin Blue is delighted to be named as the Samoan Government's preferred airline partner among the tenderers," she said.

"And we're certainly looking foward to some detailed negotiations over coming weeks with the Samoan government.

Reports from the Samoan capital, Apia, say the joint venture, to be called Polynesian Blue, will be flying as Samoa's international carrier in the first half of 2005.

===========================================
Pic Polynesian 737-800 SW-SAO on approach to Brisbane

http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=27211

Photo: Wirraway

DJ737
24th Dec 2004, 05:05
Don't know much about Polynesian Airlines, do they employ expensive tech crew? , if so DJ could do it cheaper :zzz:

Dehavillanddriver
24th Dec 2004, 06:02
Poly crews make Pacific Blue salaries look expensive.

It'll be interesting, Polynesian are a business class carrier, albeit with only 1 aeroplane.

There are quite a number of ex Poly crews flying for Virgin Blue.

sinala1
24th Dec 2004, 06:06
It'll be interesting, Polynesian are a business class carrier, albeit with only 1 aeroplane

Also interesting to note that Polynesian are in some sort of commercial agreement (codeshare?) with Qantas... I presume that will be dropped with the DJ partnership?

Beer Can Dreaming
24th Dec 2004, 15:48
I remember some years ago that the Samoan Govt (not American Samoa) leased a B767.
The only problem was that the cost of the lease exceeded the Gross Domestic Product of Samoa !!

A friend that worked for the World Bank also stated that the only real way that they could afford their own airline was through foreign grants.

If that really is the case then you can expect Virgin Polynesian to set a record for low wages.
Hell, it may even make the Jetstar guys look well paid !!!!!

Le Pilot
24th Dec 2004, 21:49
Yer Dreamin!
Try Royal Tongan with the RBA Aircraft

The Enema Bandit
26th Dec 2004, 03:33
DJ737, it sounds like you're prostituting yourself. I wonder if Qaintarse and the sheep shaggers did more due diligence than VB?

DJ737
26th Dec 2004, 03:46
Hmm... probably am

Pilots have been paid too much for far too long. :E

Geez, driving a train is more stessful than flying a 737NG, and yes i have done both. :zzz:

DJ737

404 Titan
26th Dec 2004, 04:05
DJ737

You know what, I am a firm believer in karma. I wander if the smile will still be on your face when someone threatens your conditions of service. Who knows, that could be closer than you think. What goes around comes around.

DJ737
26th Dec 2004, 05:04
The smile will still be there :O

No one is gonna threaten my conditions of service. I enjoy flying, and when i no longer enjoy it, i will give it away.

I don't fly because of the money, i could probably earn more driving trains the way things are going. ( I now drive trains for nothing in my spare time for a heritage railway)

I wasn't led to believe that getting a ATPL mean't that i was on the gravy train for life, and those that do believe (or were led to believe) this, are in the wrong profession.

DJ737

404 Titan
26th Dec 2004, 06:05
DJ737

Who said anything about your conditions of service working as a pilot? It could be your conditions of service as a train driver. I can see that going down real well with your working fraternity at the railway. I could go back to being an accountant and earn a sh*t load more money than I currently do flying a wide body jet around the world. Just because I choose my current profession doesn’t make it right to have my conditions of service attacked. You may very well say that no one is going to threaten your conditions of service. I bet most QF pilots said the same thing before the low cost revolution in Australia started in 2001. I have never seen anyone like having his or her hard earned conditions taken away and I will bet you won’t like it either. The managers of Qantas, Virgin Blue, Jetstar, Pacific Blue, Jetconnect and National Jet are laughing all the way to their board rooms for they are taking you all for a ride. They are orchestrating this division in the pilot fraternity. Once you all realize this and unite as a single force they will continue to divide and conquer. You guys have only seen the beginning of this. Where I work it has been going on for the last ten years. It is only now that the union here has come to terms with this and is now steering us in a more unified direction. If you don’t think this will happen to you whether it is working for DJ or the railways then you are living with your head in the sand. It is the oldest management trick in the book to break a union and I have seen it at work from both sides of the fence.

DJ737
26th Dec 2004, 07:02
I don't really care if management do break the union, because i am not a member of one.

No point in being a member, I haven't got 4 stripes and am not at the pointy end of a 744 :zzz:

It's called freedom of association :rolleyes:

These days it's a case of "I'm all right Jack, pull up the ladder"

Live with it :*

DJ737

The Roo Rooter

404 Titan
26th Dec 2004, 08:10
DJ737

As I said before I have worked in management and within unions and know exactly how management play this game. It was clueless idiots like you that we use to pray on because you were your own worst enemy. You can stick your head in the sand now but don’t go crying to your union or fellow pilots in 10 or 20 years when you realize you have been shafted by the employer you think so highly of. They are on yearly bonuses to screw you. You may not believe me but have a close look around you.

You know the more that I read your posts the more I believe you are management in DJ and are trying to stir up the troops or you are young and stupid. It is usually pretty easy to spot management types on this forum. I will leave it to your fellow pilots at DJ to out you. I have a number of mates that work there who realize only too well that the writing is on the wall with their own conditions of service if this is to continue.

You may think that the pilots unions are for captains but nothing could be further from the truth. If all pilots unions had 100% membership the largest voting block would be F/O’s. I happen to be a F/O and an active member of my union, the Hong Kong Aircrew Officers Association, (HKAOA). My company and most Airlines in Australia won’t negotiate with individuals but only with the representative body of those pilots. It therefore makes sense if you want to have your say, you must be a member. No point in whining after the event if something is voted in by the union, your not a member and you don’t like it. Tough titties.

Eastwest Loco
26th Dec 2004, 12:27
Interesting indeed.

Poly has been a bit of a non event since they bent their 762 - courtesy of a slightly late checkin who froze to death (or was abraded to death) in the wheel well. While it was out of service, it was reposessed by the lessor.

Their Pacific network used to be excellent, and maybe this will go some way towards rebuilding it.

Good luck boys and girls.

EWL

Buster Hyman
26th Dec 2004, 12:45
The Western Samoans are a likeable lot. Got themselves a brand new Parliament house built entirely by the PRoC because they said they'd vote for them at the UN (some rubbish about Taiwan!)

Good luck to them. I hope they wring every last dollar out of DJ!:ok:

Gnadenburg
26th Dec 2004, 14:03
Roo Rooter

Almost two years at VB and still an F/O. That must be a record.

Before demeaning the profession, come and talk to us when you can get a company to invest in you ie: not buying a job at the same time as desperately undercutting incumbants.

Seriously DJ, would you be an airline pilot if you did not have the opportunity to undercut and buy the job?

You are very spiteful and despite your attempts, thousands of airline pilots won't lower themselves to your standards of renumeration and dare we say from anecdote, relaxed levels of professionalism.

404 Titan

Don't be too concerned. I heard off the vine that 30 of Roo Rooters colleagues failed in their recent attempts to get to your part of the world ( things must be bad to leave BNE ).

Dehavillanddriver
26th Dec 2004, 21:27
EWL

The stowaway was in the wheel well of the 737-300 5W-ILF, which was a new aeroplane when delivered in 1993 - they also had an older -300 5W-FAX which was converted to a QC freighter and went back to ILFC in late 94.

As a point of interest that flight was under the command of an Australian with a Kiwi First Officer - not that has anything to do with it!

I can't remember if the 762 was still around by then, I think it was but not sure.

The 737 in question continued in service with poly for a number of years and then ended up in QF service as VH-TAB.

The 762 was the 3rd 767 that they had, they originally had a 762 and then 763 from Air Canada, and then they finally bought the 762 ex Kuwait airlines through Fortis Leasing.

It was the only 767 with that engine/airframe combination in existance - the only other one was destroyed by Saddam during Gulf War Ep 1 (P&W JT9D-7Q from memory), didn't have TCAS or ETOPS so was a real gem!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

DJ737
27th Dec 2004, 01:30
You know the more that I read your posts the more I believe you are management in DJ and are trying to stir up the troops or you are young and stupid.

Well i am not young (wish i was) might be a bit stupid...hell i was hired for my qualifications:p , So that only leaves one option...you should be able to work it out from the quote above.

DJ737

The Roo Rooter:E :ok:

Metro Boy
27th Dec 2004, 02:05
DJ737, you are an embarressment to those of us at Virgin who strive for better condition's.

Eastwest Loco
27th Dec 2004, 07:36
DHDriver

Please excuse my ignorance. I could have sworn it was the 762 I saw hangared somewhere.

How in hell would you get a person into the wheel well of a 733?

Must have a look next time I get tarmac access. No wonder the wheel munched him.

Best regards

EWL

Wirraway
27th Dec 2004, 10:49
Mon "New Zealand Herald"

Cheaper flights beckon to Samoa
By Angela Gregory

The Samoan Government is confident a new venture airline between Polynesian Airlines and Virgin Blue will be flying out of Apia from next March.

Deputy Prime Minister Misa Telefoni said the airline would operate under the name Polynesian Blue and would increase capacity to Samoa.

Mr Telefoni said Polynesian Blue would take over the international flights of the Samoa Government-owned carrier.

Polynesian Airlines would continue its domestic operations to Savai’i and American Samoa.

Air New Zealand and Air Pacific, Fiji’s international airline 46 per cent owned by Qantas, also fly to Samoa.

Mr Telefoni said the increased competition on the route from Polynesian Blue, with access to Virgin and Pacific Blue’s facilities and aircraft, should see cheaper flights to Samoa.

The Samoan Government had turned down bids from Air New Zealand and Qantas in favour of Virgin Blue because it had the best proposals "in every sense".

"We accept that it will be no-frills, no business class, but cheap air fares."

Mr Telefoni said the Samoan Government would now start detailed negotiations that should see Polynesian Blue start flying in the first half of next year.

"The new airline will provide the people of Samoa with regular and affordable air travel and a platform to grow tourism to the country and thus the economy."

The liquidators of Royal Tongan Airlines are meanwhile encouraging employees to claim for wages owed after the national airline collapsed in the middle of the year following the repossession of its Boeing 757 by Royal Brunei Airlines.

Wirraway
28th Dec 2004, 13:49
Wed "Sydney Morning Herald"

Virgin, Samoa to take new Blue to the world
By Scott Rochfort
December 29, 2004

Virgin Blue is preparing the launch of its second Pacific offshoot, Polynesian Blue, after forming a joint venture with the Samoan government.

The deal would see the Virgin Blue and Samoan government co-owned airline take control of Polynesian Airlines' existing international routes from the Pacific nation of 200,000 people.

Samoa's deputy Prime Minister, Misa Telefoni, said he was confident Polynesian Blue would start flying out of the Samoan capital, Apia, by March.

Virgin Blue, however, was coy on the matter. The airline's chief commercial officer, Stefan Pichler, said talk of a new airline was premature.

"A lot of work is ahead for all parties concerned," he said, noting Virgin still had to come up with a "sound business plan".

Despite Virgin Blue beating rival bids from Qantas and Air New Zealand to form the joint venture, Mr Pichler said: "We don't have anything yet. So we are not in a position to comment on decisions in Samoa."

Polynesian Airlines uses 154-passenger 737-800s internationally and it is still unclear if Virgin Blue will bring some of its own 737 aircraft into the new venture.

Polynesian's destinations include Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Los Angeles, Honolulu and Tonga.

Under the arrangement, Polynesian Airlines would continue to operate its fleet of turbo prop aircraft within Polynesia independent from Polynesia Blue.

The joint venture is expected to annul a commercial and code-sharing arrangement Polynesian signed with Qantas in 1999.

It was unclear whether the joint venture would force the new airline to scuttle the systems it adopted from Qantas, such as the Amadeus reservation system.

Polynesian Airlines was managed and partly financed by Ansett between 1982 and 1992 before being taken over by Samoa-based management.

Virgin Blue, meanwhile, has yet to indicate whether it will go ahead with plans to establish a low-cost carrier in Macau.

=========================================

Roadrunner
30th Dec 2004, 05:48
Hey DJ,

How the hell did they let you in the door mate...

Sounds like you can really be relied upon.
Your employer got a real beauty when you slinked in the back door old son.

Dehavillanddriver
30th Dec 2004, 08:36
EWL,

It would have been the ex Kuwaiti 76 that you saw parked at the QF jetbase.

The return of the 76 and the gutsing of the 73 were just unrelated incidents..

Best for the new year!

Eastwest Loco
30th Dec 2004, 09:04
Thanks DHDriver

For the info, and all the best for your New Year too.

Best

EWL